probes

Blutch

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I went to a local bbq supply place to buy a Thermapen. The guy sold me the Maverick Professional Thermocouple Thermometer Model # PT-100BBQ. He swore up and down that this was the new "Thermapen." It was pricey, but I went for it. Is this true or did he sell me something else?

Then I watched all those videos of the guy demonstrating the Akorn cooker - I'm going to get one soon - and I loved that with his Maverick probe he could do both the grill temp and the food temp at once. It looks like the ONE probe gives two temps.. you stick the slim end in the meat and it looks like the thicker end is what guages the temp of the grill at meat level. Is that correct?

I'm having buyer's remorse on this expensive thermapen because I have a cheapo internal probe for the grill, but I have to open the grill to test the food temp. I like that he can just keep the cooker closed through the whole cook.

Can anyone tell me what model he uses and if it is still sold and if not, what I can get now that is as good and works the same.

Thanks to all!

B

A lot of folks on here swear by the Maverick ET732. It's a two probe wireless unit that won't break the bank. You just have to be aware of the issues a lot of folks have with the probes.

I think you are looking for the Dual probe ET-73.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Remote-Wireless-Thermometer-ET-73/dp/B0044FFUMK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1357190804&sr=8-8&keywords=maverick+et+732"]Amazon.com: Maverick Remote Smoker Dual Probe Wireless Thermometer ET-73: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

Then Maverick you bought is trying to compete with the Thermapen. All I know about the one you bought is what I could find on Amazon. The ones there are right at $90. That is what you would pay for a Thermapen. Did he give you any specifics on speed. That is one of the reasons for buying a Thermapen.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-PT-100BBQ-ProTemp-thermocouple-probe/dp/B005SWNZWA/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1357191128&sr=1-2&keywords=maverick+pt-100"]Amazon.com: ProTemp thermocouple probe, black: Home & Kitchen[/ame]

I bought 3 of these for the restaurant.
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/alarm/oven_temp_timer.html

I already have 2 Thermapens and wouldn't trade them for anything.

Dammit. This thing is slower than I expected based on what people say about the thermapen. This is what he sold me: http://www.bbqsaucereviews.com/review-of-the-maverick-pt-100bbq-pro-temp-thermometer/ It was $90. Ugh. I've used it, so too late to return it.. so I just hope it will be useful. I would like to find the exact unit that the guy on the Akorn videos was using. It wsn't two probes, but he got two temps out of it. B

Do you have a link for the video? Was it Man Cave Meals?

I could be wrong, but I think you're talking about two different things.

John on Man Cave Meals used to use a Maverick ET-85 thermometer, which is not an instant-read thermometer, but a leave-in probe unit that happens to have two sensors on one probe: one sensor reads internal meat temp and one is for ambient pit temp. (I have the same model). More recently he did a review of the Maverick ET-732 which is basically the same thermometer except it uses two separate probes to measure internal and pit temperatures and has a wireless transmitter.

The Maverick PT-100 is an instant-read thermometer comparable to the Thermapen -- neither of which is a leave-in reader.

Does that fit your breakdown?

I think this is the one in the video: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Two-In-One-Roasting-Digital-Thermometer/dp/B000YUELYC/ref=sr_1_11?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1357192252&sr=1-11&keywords=maverick+redi-chek"]Amazon.com: Maverick Two-In-One Oven and Roasting Digital Thermometer with Timer: Home & Kitchen[/ame]

Its cheap and doesn't get good customer reviews.. hrmmmmm. B

Yes. I was talking about two different probes and yes, I was referring to the Man Cave Meals video. Thank you. I would like to get one of the two probe units, but need it quickly.... can you buy these things retail? Thanks B

Yeah, that's the ET85 you linked. If it's available retail I don't know where. A couple years ago I wanted to find one on short notice when my old therm died and called all over the San Francisco Bay area but couldn't locate one. Maybe you're luckier than I am?

Check Bed, Bath and Beyond. They have some there, but I don't remember what models.
What does your BBQ supply store carry?

If you want the ET-732 you can get it by Friday if you order soon [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IMA718/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p79_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0MM9647DEYA3QY8XHVT0&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846"]Amazon.com: Maverick Wireless BBQ Thermometer Set - Maverick ET732: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Wow it comes in 4 colors now, when I got mine it only came in white.

Sent from my Android phone.

Learn to cook without using a thermometer. It's actually pretty simple. I do ribs by the bend / tear test,pork shoulder when the bone slips out clean,brisket by the butta / probe method and chicken I've done a zillion times and can get it by just it's color. As foer pit temps I rarely ever even bother to glance at the thermometer on my UDS cause I know exactly where it is. 235-250 like clockwork

The Maverick PT100 is an instant read thermometer that "rivals" the thermapen. JMSeltzer did a review on the Maverick PT100 vs Thermapen which shows how well both perform.

The Maverick PT100 that you got for $100 is a lot more expensive that what you could of got it from amazon. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Pro-Temp-Commercial-Thermometer-PT-100/dp/B002Q4TQI0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357223032&sr=8-1&keywords=maverick+pt100"]Amazon.com: Maverick Pro-Temp Commercial Thermometer PT-100: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

JM (Mancavemeals) also uses the Maverick ET732. I have one of them as well. They are great for the Meat Probe Thermo as well as Pit Temp Probe which you can put at grate level. You can get them from many different places. I would suggest getting it from 50 BBQ who is a brethren. He has fast shipping and great costumer service. http://bbqequipmentstore.com/NEW-Maverick-Remote-Smoker-Thermometer-ET-732-ET-732.htm

I use both the 732 and a Thermapen. I like having the pit/meat temp at all times, when I'm not physically close to it. But I like the Thermapen to check different places in the meat, for both temp and 'feel.'

I have a Maverick ET-73 (ET-732 inbound from Amazon :-D ) for monitoring long smokes. I use a Taylor Weekend Warrior (http://www.taylorusa.com/weekend-warrior-digital-thermometer.html) when I want to poke something in the meat and get a quick reading. It's probably not as fast as a Thermapen but it can be had for about $15 on Amazon. I am not a pro and it is fast enough for me.

It's good to develop the skill to cook w/out instrumentation but good instruments can help you to get to that point. Plus, with the ET-73/732 probes in the meat, I can monitor progress w/out the need to open the smoker.

The Maverick ET 732 is a good unit........however........it is very slow in response time. It is not nearly as accurate as the Themapen. That being said, I like to use it as 1) remote so I can set alarm points and sleep at night 2) a "trend" indicator so I know what is goin on in my pit without running outside all the time 3) a good indicaor of when I should start probe testing.

The IGrill is a nice unit and very comparable to the ET-732. I like that you don't have to carry a receiver with you seeing how all bluetooth devices work with it. The droid app is new and not quite as nice as the apple one. The Thermapen is a faster unit than the PT100. I own both and use them both frequently. The PT100 does has nicer options on it like a rubber outside for drop protection and backlit display for night time use.

The IGrill is a nice unit and very comparable to the ET-732. I like that you don't have to carry a receiver with you seeing how all bluetooth devices work with it. The droid app is new and not quite as nice as the apple one. The Thermapen is a faster unit than the PT100. I own both and use them both frequently. The PT100 does has nicer options on it like a rubber outside for drop protection and backlit display for night time use.

Just as a question for speed between the PT100 and the Thermapen, what is the speed difference? Is it a 1 second difference or something considerable like a 5 second difference? on JM's review of them on youtube it seemed to be within 1 second difference in speed.

Thanks.

The IGrill is a nice unit and very comparable to the ET-732.
I looked into the iGrill before I ordered an ET-732 to supplement my ET-73. I could classify the iGrill as closer to the ET-73 in that the maximum temperature is 400° F for the iGrill (410° F for the ET-73 cooker probe.) The ET-732 goes over 500° F. At that temperature the lining inside the braid on the ET-73 probe starts to melt and extrude outside the braid. :shock:

If you never need to go over 400° this is not a concern. I was doing a Turkey using Alton Brown's strategy of 500° for the first half hour.

Back