• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Newest Old Country Pit - Smokehouse Vertical

I thought you were saving up for a Humphreys? This plus the one you got off craigslist would have paid for it... :shock:

Interesting looks like a redesign of a model they had a few yrs ago that looked like a beefier bandera. I'd be interested in rack dimensions & if it's in my neck of the woods. Another pic of the firebox open & how airflow/smoke comes from there into chamber???

I thought you were saving up for a Humphreys? This plus the one you got off craigslist would have paid for it... :shock:

Would be Half of Humphreys. I didn't buy this one but I would have if I'd seen it first.

I saw these at Academy yesterday and thought of you! :)

Guy walked by and tolk me not to get one...it would just make me eat more! That man speaks troof!

Nice smoker Smitty. I love the way you keep finding new pits .....keep them coming.

The grates appear to be 20x20" sqaure. There is a plate welded in top of firebox that's has a 1/2" gap all the way around. There is a grease drain built in. In cook chamber the is a 3" baffle on 45* angle above the 1/2" gap so you do not see the gap. It is all 1/8" and fully welded. It's pretty nice rig. I sure wish they had been out before I bought the CL one. !.

Must be a Texas thing. None of the Academy stores around here have that one. All we have here are Angus, Wranglers and Pecos with an occasional over/under.

I may be building- ok HELPING to build my next vertical. I have questions about your observations: Guessing the plate serves as a diffuser and the 1/2" gap just lets smoke into the CC. There is a grease drain built in. Is that difusser plate the grease pan too? In cook chamber the is a 3" baffle on 45* angle above the 1/2" gap so you do not see the gap.Baffle redirects smoke back to center of the CC instead of it just going up the walls? It is all 1/8" and fully welded. Trying to get all the design questions figured out - laid my hands on some 3/16 - and I think I have a welder lined up. It's pretty nice rig. I sure wish they had been out before I bought the CL one. !. If I had money and a truck I would have bought it too- the pictures might have made it look better than it was :sad:

I'm really wanting one of these. I keep going and looking at them....... :heh:

Best advice I can give you is to stop buying every cooker you see. :laugh: you got it bad. Then maybe when the "right one" comes along...

Smitty - Thanks for the heads up and pictures. I might be able to make use of them laying out my next one. I DO need to go in person to look at the diffuser /drip pan- I need to see how it was constructed.
I've been made aware (thanks hon) that I don't really *need* another cooker of any kind- I have "plenty". And my bride is right- but this fact does not stop me from looking at just one more.
I Have a UDS, mini, pbc wannabe, weber kettle- but there's not $100.00 in any one of them. I'd like a "store bought" smoker or one of that caliber - but that's not gonna happen- I have to do it on the cheap or not at all.
Keep doing what you are doing. I don't know if the ONE is out there for you to find- but if you give up, you'll never know, will ya?

Back