MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Default First chops on the grill grates

As most of you know, i have a pair of those fancy grates from grillgrates.com.

I tried them out for the first time tonight on the new gasser and they work fantasticly awesome!

Here is my recipe i used:

half gallon of water
1/4 cup salt
2 tbls herbs de provence
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dehydrated minced garlic
2 tbls brown sugar

I let the chops brine for about 3 or 4 hours. When i grilled them, i sprinkled liberally with fresh ground black pepper. They were center cut loin chops according to the package. They are like the rib eyes of pork. Im guessing that if they were to cut the bone from the chop, they would sell them as baby backs.

i used a small smoke bomb of cherry chips that sat about 2 inches above the flame. Got some nice TBS from it. The chops were juicy, tender and very very flavorful.

My only beef with my new grill is, i had all 4 burners on high for 15 minutes, and it BARELY reached 400*F. I do not like the 2 foot by 4 inch gap in the back of the cooker between the base and the lid. i gotts to fix that some how while still allowing the lid to open

any ideas?

thanks guys!

Matt

Old 05-04-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

One pic?
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2011, 11:22 PM   #3
BBQ Grail

One pic is enough. Great shot. Good job...

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2011, 11:23 PM   #4
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

Hard to get over 400 deg when you keep opening the lid. Gona try that recipe. I've been having tenderness problems with chops.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:23 PM   #5
NorthwestBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
I beg to disagree. Were you aware that this can be done on the actual grates you are cooking on? LMFAO!

Old 05-04-2011, 11:28 PM   #6
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dave View Post
Hard to get over 400 deg when you keep opening the lid. Gona try that recipe. I've been having tenderness problems with chops.
@ northwest bbq. yeah i only took one pic. it was the mid stage of it all. it was the most important pic though. The grill marks. haha

HAHA. for sure. i even left the lid closed for 15 minutes and it never made it passed 400. however, thats at dome temp. I imagine ALOT of hot air is escaping out the back of the grill with that 2 inch wide by 24 inch long gap.

the chops were really tender. i have used this brine on a loin roast that was very lean and it produced some very jucy tender shops

I need to buy a oven thermo to place inside and see what the grate temp is

Old 05-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #7
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ View Post
I beg to disagree. Were you aware that this can be done on the actual grates you are cooking on? LMFAO!
yes but not as good. haha. even with a high heat charoal fire, i cant get as good as grill marks as these things produce

Old 05-04-2011, 11:31 PM   #8
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
thanks man. They were pretty good. They had a really nice bacon flavor to them. Ok, not sure if bacon is the right word but they sure tasted really really good and juicy. Yeah, bacon sounds bout right!

Old 05-04-2011, 11:37 PM   #9
NorthwestBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
yes but not as good. haha. even with a high heat charoal fire, i cant get as good as grill marks as these things produce
That, I believe.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:39 PM   #10
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

not sure if this could be your issue, but on my broilmaster, if there is a large buildup of gunk in the bottom of the grill body, I notice a decrease in temps. Alll the goop and yuk that bukds up bertween the rocks and on the bottom seem to suck up the heat. Clean that stuff out and temps come back up.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-04-2011, 11:40 PM   #11
NorthwestBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
not sure if this could be your issue, but on my broilmaster, if there is a large buildup of gunk in the bottom of the grill body, I notice a decrease in temps. Alll the goop and yuk that bukds up bertween the rocks and on the bottom seem to suck up the heat. Clean that stuff out and temps come back up.
100 percent agree, Phil.

A clean pit is a great cooker.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:50 PM   #12
LT72884
Babbling Farker

This was its first run today. Its a brand new gasser from char broiler! so no build up at all.

but im glad you told me this. Now ill be more cautious to how much i cook and what i cook. I agree, a clean pit is a happy pit

Old 05-04-2011, 11:58 PM   #13
BBQ Grail

Quote:
This was its first run today. Its a brand new gasser from char broiler! so no build up at all.

but im glad you told me this. Now ill be more cautious to how much i cook and what i cook. I agree, a clean pit is a happy pit
Which model? If it's the one I think it is, it's not going to get hotter than that no matter what you do.

It's not designed to...

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2011, 11:58 PM   #14
NorthwestBBQ

Quote:

Always, bro.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:59 PM   #15
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

new tank? Full?

Tanks loose pressure if they sit awhile.

Flame blue? if not, adjust the airflow on the supply tubes or have the tank evacuated and refilled.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote