MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Talking Charcoal Review - Best of The West - $14 for 40# at Sam's

I had a misquote in my $82 Sam's shopping spree thread. I called out this charcoal as a #20 bag. It's actually a #40 bag. The price was $14 plus change. So far this weekend I've done three cooks with this, two in the Egg and one in my BDS. It resembles Lazarri mesquite in size, flavor and burn time. Lazarri is just over $20 for a #40 bag. I can't say about ash production. It's not as sparky as some of the Royal Oak I've gotten lately, so this is a plus. The bag is plastic lined, which is nice. These two pics show the average size pieces I've found so far. There is one huge branch in the bag that looks about 3 or 4 inches in diameter.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Big_AL
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the tip.

I used to use mesquite wood chunks for almost all beef but I had a bit of an over-smoking issue once (I love smoke but it was WAY too strong) which killed my taste for it. Given this, stayed away from mesquite lump...how pronounced is the mequite flavor? Could this be used for any meat or just beef?
Big_AL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_AL View Post
Thanks for the tip.

I used to use mesquite wood chunks for almost all beef but I had a bit of an over-smoking issue once (I love smoke but it was WAY too strong) which killed my taste for it. Given this, stayed away from mesquite lump...how pronounced is the mesquite flavor? Could this be used for any meat or just beef?
I don't care for mesquite chunks for flavor wood either and I was raised in Texas..... the family had stick burners but we had separate burn pits to turn the split logs into coals, then they were shoveled into the pits for cooking. Mesquite lump is very popular in Mexico too both for grilling and for other cooking fuel. Once the wood is made into lump, all of the bitter flavors folks associate with mesquite wood are gone.

That said, mesquite lump has a slightly stronger flavor than say Royal Oak, but I still add the same amount of apple of cherry I use with other lumps. Mesquite lump can be sparky when lighting, and it burns hotter than other lumps. It also comes in large pieces, some have to be smacked with a hammer.

I burn about 200# of it per year, and about 150# of Royal Oak.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->