MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Default My review of Stubbs charcoal

Well, i was at lowes the other day buying my rotisserie kit for my weber when i saw for 7.99$ a 15lb bag of 100% all natural hardwood briquettes. So at .53 cents a pound i had to pick up a bag. The bag states 95% hardwood and 5% vegitable filler.

At first stight, the briquettes are actually pretty good size. A little bigger than rancher or wicked good charcoal. I can tell you for sure that they are alot "stronger" than rancher charcoal. It took only a few pounds of force to crush a rancher briqutte but to crush a stubbs, it took almost double the amount of force.

I lit a full chimney of them with two wads of paper towel. It has a very pleasent woodsy burn to it. I could smell it in the garage and it reminded me of a cold winters fire in our wood burning stove. The first 8 minutes of the ignition, there was more blue smoke than i expected but with in 3 minutes or so it burned off and no smoke was produced at all. Very clean smell and burn once it gets going. A small downfall but 3 minutes of extra wait aint bad.

Poured the rest of the bag in my charcoal ring. With in 15 minutes, the charcoal was ready in the chimney. Poured it over the unlit coals and waited 10 minutes for it to come to temp. Very clean burn and very nice TBS. I added my hickory chunks and waited for it to get to temp. Once it came to temp i added my fat deflector which really jacked things up. But once it was removed things(45 minutes later) were back to normal. During the cook, it held temps very well. Stayed at 275-300 the whole cook. I had 3 of the 4 wents open.

After my rib cook, there were plenty of briquettes left. and very little ash produced. I did another crush test of a snuffed out rancher briqutte vs a snuffed out stubbs. Stubbs still take the win. Below is the amount of coal i have left in my ring and how much ash was produced. There are a few extra things in the ash like match sticks but i have a unused briquette next to it to show an example.

In conclusion, i really like the results from the charcoal. At .53 cents a pound, cant really complain. My only complaint, if i can call it that, is the amount of blue smoke at the begining of the light. But like i said, wait a few more minutes and the smoke is gone.

Personally i would buy this brand again and at that price it is cheaper than lump. So when lump is in short demand, i will be buying this stuff for sure

Thanks from: --->

Old 05-13-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
BBQ Greenhorn
Got rid of the matchlight.

I tried Stubbs a few weeks ago when I saw them at Lowe's and got some free bottles of bbq sauce with the purchase....now I buy a bag or two every time I go there. Not an expert like some of you guys here, but for me, the Stubbs cooked hotter and longer than the Kingsford I was using before...and at that price it's hard to beat as well.
BBQ Greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-13-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
mmmmeat
is One Chatty Farker

sounds like im gonna pick up some stubbs next time i do a smoke!!
[/URL] [URL="https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.490010637758.259874.578407758&l=06aa73c27f"]GROGG[/URL]
[URL="fromthemouthofkstewart.blogspot.com"]MY BLOG[/URL]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/mmmgto"]Facebookin it![/URL]
Avatar created by i really wish i remember, but they got skillZ
mmmmeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2010, 10:57 PM   #4
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmeat View Post
sounds like im gonna pick up some stubbs next time i do a smoke!!
If you do, tell me how you like it. I think it is very good for the price. I need to buy some more this weekend.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:44 AM   #5
HOG-QUE-HOLIC
Knows what a fatty is.

Stubb's is what I use all the time in my UDS Drum's, I get real long burn times, But I have Large Coal Basket's 16x16, and some say they get too much ash flareing up, I don't, my smokeing wood on sit's on top of the basket top turns to Coal, and the grease from all the Butt's and Stuff drips on that and the ash doesn't flare up onto the food. I'm sold on the Stubb's. I hope there is a SALE comming soon, maybe Memorial week-end, I'd pickup a pallet, Bro's keep an Eye on Stubb's if on Sale let all know !
HOG-QUE-HOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2010, 08:47 AM   #6
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

I bought a bag of Stubbs to try when I got my kettle. I haven't used anything else since.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2010, 09:20 AM   #7
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Lew

Stubbs is all I use unless I'm using lump, then it's RO. It was on sale the last couple of times I was at Lowes.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:44 AM   #8
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

I pick up 2 bags every time i go to Lowes. Only thing worse than running low on Stubb's is running low on beer.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2010, 09:56 AM   #9
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

Stubbs Rocks, I don't know but stubbs briquettes seem give the food a better taste then Kingsford briquettes. I'm not sure why or how it does but it does.
The Cajun Bandit.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2010, 10:04 AM   #10
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

i am just learning the lay of the land here, but is there a dedicated thread around comparing the different charcoals and such on the market. i have always stuck with kingsford as i know what i am getting. i did try some other stuff in the past but it was usually pretty crappy stuff.

this stubbs stuff....i that carried at all lowes or is it a regional thing?

Old 05-14-2010, 10:18 AM   #11
warfrat
On the road to being a farker

I was using Stubb's in my Stump's while I was out of Rancher and it cooks fine but does produce more ash than Rancher-IMO. It wasn't until I tried using Stubb's for some dutch oven cooking that I discovered that it definately doesn't burn as hot as Rancher. That being said, I have a couple of bags of Stubb's in the garage right now and would not hesitate to use it in my Stump's. Just MHO.
Lang 36
warfrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #12
TactTm1
On the road to being a farker

I have used this site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag

to do some research and comparison on most of the widely available charcoal.

My standard use (for now) is the Royal Oak hardwood which is supposedly/reportedly the same as the BGE brand.
TactTm1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #13
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat View Post
I was using Stubb's in my Stump's while I was out of Rancher and it cooks fine but does produce more ash than Rancher-IMO. It wasn't until I tried using Stubb's for some dutch oven cooking that I discovered that it definately doesn't burn as hot as Rancher. That being said, I have a couple of bags of Stubb's in the garage right now and would not hesitate to use it in my Stump's. Just MHO.
OHH, i didnt do a heat test. Wish i could have. I have 20 bags of blue king i need to get rid of so i use that on the DO's. You bring up a good point bout rancher being hotter. As long as it gets to 350 in the drum, im ok. I have RO and other lump for high heat grillin