Of MOINK Balls and Fatties, and More...

rhgjr944

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I'm headed to the SCCA Runoffs at Road America with the Underwear Gnomes Racing Team in about two weeks. Camping at the track for a week with about 30 of us at peak. :p

I'm going to do 4 pork shoulders this weekend and package it up to bring along. But I'd like to do some cooking at the track. Thinking of making up a whole bunch of MOINK balls and a few fatties ahead of time, keeping them in a cooler.

Going to bring the WSM along, but will also have a couple of kettles there as well.

My question, having not done MOINKS and Fatties before, what temps and how long to cook? I'll probably experiment on both this weekend.

TIA

Fatties

One pound of sausage...225 degrees until internal temp reaches 165 about 90 minutes

MOINK Balls....225 degrees until bacon is crisp about one hour.

I do MOINKS until they are heated and the bacon is cooked. Maybe 1 hour (I am gonna try precooking the bacon a bit to get a shorter cook time). The one fattie I did took 2 hours. Temps were all around 250F.

I do MOINKS until they are heated and the bacon is cooked. Maybe 1 hour (I am gonna try precooking the bacon a bit to get a shorter cook time). The one fattie I did took 2 hours. Temps were all around 250F.

There are no shortcuts in MOINK Ball making.

So precooking the bacon is not MOINK acceptable? I won't do it then!

So precooking the bacon is not MOINK acceptable? I won't do it then!

You can do it, but it won't be as good. You really need the bacon juices (that you'll lose) to soak into the meatball. Plus double smoking the bacon along with the meatball will give you a better flavor.

Thanks guys. I'll try and post pron on Saturday.

90932429_3f1c2db2a9.jpg

Back