performance problem

motley que

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
psst motley has performance issues.... now thats out of the way.

on my latest drum, i cant keep the temps from rising. i light a small fire and have very little air flow in. my only thought is the loose fitting lid is letting too much air in. i may try to make a lid out of tin foil so it seals and poke some exhaust holes in it to see if a tight lid seal is the key.

havent had probls like this before with other drums. my weber lid doesnt fit either. i guess i could try to find someone to cut off the lip, if thats the way to go

I would think if you built a real smoky fire you could see the leaks better

I had issues after making mine out of round. Was it an open top drum to start? If so put band clamp on. Bigger pain but worked for me.

I think you are onto the problem. If you are having high temp problems there has to be too much air getting in one way or the other.

Agree with the gang....you have a leak somewhere.
If you think it's the lid, Norco's got the cure.
Are your intakes tight? What do you have for an exhaust?

I've been using my DrumLid Clamp to better seal off my DrumPit since installation of my raised extension but I have toyed with the notion of using 1/4" WoodStove Gasket around the inner lip of my open end Drum Lid, held in place by a bead of FoodGrade Hi-Temp Silicone. But then I found another lid that fit the Drum better and have quit using the Drum Lid Clamp altogether.
This could be an option for you to consider.

Motley:

I got $hitloads of fiberglass rope gasket iffin you want some. Besides, you got another drum to pick up. Glued in place with red silicone is a pretty much permanent fix. Or, we can remove the lip.

Back