MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:41 AM   #1
bsouth21
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Pork Loin Temp??

Hey guys,

I've searched about 50 old threads and came out more confused. I'm cooking my first pork loin tomorrow and I'm going to slice it deli meat thin for sandwiches for a family get together. I had this once at a gathering and it was great.

I've seen both the cook it like brisket (foil at 165 and take it to 190) and most others say pulling it around 140. Any advice from people that have tried both methods? Or anyone always have good success?

I am brining it over night and them I have that Butchers Pork Injection I was going to try on it to. Any last minute tips/cooking times and temps feedback would be greatly appreciated.
bsouth21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 02:14 AM   #2
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

Pork loin is premium lean eating so I respect that and get it off early, 125-135 and rest...it will rise in temps.
Good quality pork I do rarer so it is silky and juicy rather than coarse and dry.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:48 AM   #3
MaximumJEFF
Full Fledged Farker

I did one the other day. Pulled it at 165, let it rest for a 20-30 minutes. Tasted great. But, I think I'll pull the next one off earlier. Probably at 150

Old 12-30-2012, 05:57 AM   #4
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

I always pull mine at 145, then cover loosely with foil and let rest about ten minutes. It will climb to about 150. Pork loin is safe to eat a little pink nowadays.
Gasket is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #5
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

I'm with Bucc on this one. Pull around 130°, rest under a foil tent and the temp will rise. USDA says the safe internal temp for whole cuts of Pork is 145°, so stay close to that as the meat will be drier as the temp goes up. Definitely do not cook to 190!
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-30-2012, 07:29 AM   #6
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Definitely don't go to the high temps mentioned. I'm still a bit paranoid of rarer pork so I goto 150ish before pulling and letting it rest.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I've done both. A pork loin cooked to 140 and then rested is my preference, but the method that Willkat originally posted using foil, some liquid and taking it to 190 is also good, just different.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Bucc has it right for what you are using it for, I believe you will be very happy with the results with that advice.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I do mine like some what like Buccaneer pit at 350 cook to 130-135 pull wrap and rest 30 min

Old 12-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #10
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

I usually pull mine at 140 and tent with foil to let it rise to 145ish. Dry, tough pork loin is not good eats IMHO.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #11
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I've done both. A pork loin cooked to 140 and then rested is my preference, but the method that Willkat originally posted using foil, some liquid and taking it to 190 is also good, just different.
Exactly. I've done both also. Neither way is bad, but results are just different.

For slicing, cooking to 140* is probably the right method. Like a brisket results in fall apart tender.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #12
BobM
Babbling Farker

I do my pork loins at 300F for about 1 hour, then foil and cook for about another 1/2 hour to 145F internal. Foil and rest for 1/2 hour.

Bob
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote