MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
jmlay
Found some matches.

Default Planning a insulated vertical smoker build

As the subject indicates I am planning a smoker build. This will be an insulated cabinet with coal chute, I guess you could call this a Stumps or Superior clone. The plan is to have about 12 cubic feet of of cooking space.

With the above said how do I calculate the size of the ash box/fire box? Am I over thinking this and size is not too important?

Thanks,
Mike
jmlay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

I build a lot of smoker over the years ,lot of trial /era. If something dont work cut it off and weld back. First thing draw a sketch of what you think you want and go from there
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2011, 11:14 PM   #3
BigBobBQ
Babbling Farker

The general rule of thumb that I was taught and I have seen explained everywhere is the 1/3 rule where the fire box should be 1/3 the size of the cooking chamber, so in your case 6 cubic feet of fire box.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #4
jmlay
Found some matches.

6 cubic feet seems quite large compared to some of the stumps/superior clone builds I have seen on this and other forums. They are supposed to be much more efficient. ???

Old 09-04-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
ianjoe
Full Fledged Farker

I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I don't think it's the size of the "firefox" but the size around the fire transfer chute where the actual burning takes place. Then below that you have the ashbox. Look at pictures from other builds. http://www.phpbbserver.com/smokinjim/viewforum.php?f=27
This website has a lot of info on clone builds and some good pix too.
ianjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
ianjoe
Full Fledged Farker

Also if your gonna build a clone, it helps to study the real thing. Unfortunately I don't know anyone with a stumps/superior.
ianjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
BigBobBQ
Babbling Farker

sorry 6 cubic feet was a miss type, it should be just under 4, I didn't even catch that error before I left last night so you are right 6 cf is way to big...

Old 09-05-2011, 11:44 PM   #8
jmlay
Found some matches.

Well after MUCH reading I have come up with the basic size & hacked a sketch. I am still playing with the dimensions of the cooking area but they have reduced to about 8-9 cubic feet, 38x18X22 or 38x18X24. The frame will be constructed of 2" square tubing. I am not sure of the gauge of tubing as I would like to keep the weight down if I can.

- Ash box will be 12x10.5X10, .25" thick sides & .5" thick top
- Firebox will be 7x7x12, .5" thick
- Charcoal chute will be 7x7 at the base & taper to 6x6 at the top, .25" thick

Mike

Old 09-05-2011, 11:56 PM   #9
Ken V
Full Fledged Farker

Double up that thickness the bottom 12" of the charcoal chute. That is where your heat will give you trouble.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Cubby blue Thermapen
UDS
XL UDS
22.5" weber X 2
Ken V is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2011, 11:16 AM   #10
jmlay
Found some matches.

.5" should be plenty I would think for the fire box, bottom of firebox & ash box are the same, also have a /5" or so grate. There will also be a tray at the bottom of the ash box to it will functionally be .5, really 2 ply of .25".

Mike