MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default New Cooker Cart Build

Well, this is still a work in progress but it's to the point where I can at least show it. The entire album is here so anyone that wants can see the entire build. Please feel free to link back any photos that are of interest or you have questions on.

It all started off as a bored weekend last spring. I had accumulated some square steel and angle. I love using bed rails as angle as it's cheap to find bed rails. Anyway, in my boredom I decided to cut up some metal and threw together a base frame. Then I realized I had no real plan. So, I sketched up some ideas.

One major change form this sketchup drawing is that the top will now be attached to the cart and not the doors. However, I still intend to have it lift up in the same manner.

I used those as a basic plan but most of this build was good ole seat of the pants engineering. I slowly worked through what I wanted and have gotten to the point where the cart will have a "modular" design. In the center, a kettle from a performer will be mounted. On the left will be a full time spot for a UDS or WSM. The right can accomodate another UDS if necessary as well. The left and right door sections are removable to all for removal of the cookers. On top I will get work surfaces that can cover the right and center when the kettle is not in use. I am still debating what I want to do there. It will either be thick cutting board or maybe butcher block. There is still plenty to do including the back, top, large doors on the front and many other things. I just wanted to start a thread so I could update as I went along.

One of the things I am messing with now is how to deal with the Performer kettle lighter and the mod I made to use the small propane bottles. Basically I will need to extend the back around this once I have a plan for the back.

Anyway, thanks for looking. Please feel free to browse the album and let me know if you have any comments or questions on any of the other pics.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1144957...eat=directlink
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 09-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
colonel00

I guess I should also mention that thus far most everything was built from salvaged material. I had access to some store fixtures that I used for the side brick walls and the floor. The tube steel was from store fixtures too. The rests of the frame is from bed rails except two 1"x1" sections of angle I had to buy. I did have to purchase the aluminum angle and channel as well as the brick paneling for the doors. However, so far I am really only in for $150 or less. Probably closer to $125.

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 09-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

Very nice work on the setup.
The bar across the top...is that for an awning or to hold tools or something else???
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
btcg
Babbling Farker

I like it.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
colonel00

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
Very nice work on the setup.
The bar across the top...is that for an awning or to hold tools or something else???
jon
It's for both actually. There is still plenty left to do on this. That bar serves several purposes. First it adds rigidity to the frame. Second, there will eventually be a back on the cart. I am still deciding what exactly it will consist of. More that likely there will be pegboard incorporated to hold tools and other items. Also, as in the sketchup image, there will be a "lid" that will raise up. In the image the awnings are on the swing out doors but I plan now to have it hinged on that bar and raising over the cooking area.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Looks like you should get bored more often! Nice work.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
smokinin614
Knows what a fatty is.

That is lookin mighty fine
smokinin614 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
trekmstr
Full Fledged Farker

nice job. make sure to keep us posted on the progress

Old 09-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #9
colonel00

I definitely plan to. I was going to start a thread a while ago but if you looked at the album you can see it was pretty dang ugly. Now that it looks a bit better I can make updates as I figure out what all I am going to add to it.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:47 PM   #10
Frank Grimes
Full Fledged Farker

Nice work, especially with scrap material. Please keep updating the pics, I am curious how this turns out.
Frank Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #11
colonel00

Minor update. I was tooling around and did a couple things. First, I took some of the paneling I had and cut it out to fill in the dead space around the kettle. This worked alright but may get redone later. I also put some handles on the doors. I have a plan in place now for the back so I can at least move forward this weekend and hopefully get that done as well. I also plan to actually cook on this thing at some point here soon.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #12
bigsapper
Take a breath!

Nice setup. I'm definitely paying attention to this thread.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #13
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I think it looks awesome! With that many points of contact to the ground in the form of wheels, how difficult is it to keep level?
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #14
colonel00

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
I think it looks awesome! With that many points of contact to the ground in the form of wheels, how difficult is it to keep level?
It does a pretty good job of leveling itself. I added the wheels in the middle because I quickly realized that this beast was gonna be heavy and just having wheels on the ends would not work. I doubt it is every perfectly level. Then again it was build in a garage with a sloping floor and will be on a sloping driveway so I think its all moot in the end.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #15
Kenny Rogers
Full Fledged Farker

That's BADA$$! I love your creativity! AND follow thru!
I've got TONS of great ideas, and have even come up with some great sketches/cad dwgs, but completely lack the follow thru! LOL

Congrats on recycling the materials too!
Ever go to the scrap yard for stuff? The ones out here have TONS and TONS of used/rusty scrap metal of all shapes and sizes! Aluminum too!