A Trip To the Hardware Store And The 14 Hour Tri-Tip

huminie

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I was shopping at one of my local big box hardware stores...the one with the LOWESt prices...and I walked down the main BBQ aisle. In this aisle they have a number of various BBQ supplies and a few smokers. A couple of Brinkman bullets, a flimsy gasser and a smaller and just as flimsy electric. That is it.

I stop to look at some stuff and I overhear an employee talking to a customer about one of the smokers. I hear the customer asking questions that told me he had no idea how to smoke and the employee trying to answer them, but not doing very well at all. The customer opens up the gasser and asks how it works and the employee stumbles through it. I have been biting my tongue the whole time, but when I notice that the thing is assembled all wrong in the inside, I have to speak up.

So I tell him I know how one of these works and I proceed to remove the water pan from being next to the burner, move the woodbox down, move a shelf to where the wood box was and put the water pan above the wood box. I explain how it is supposed to work and the customer seems grateful that I stepped in. He then tells the employee he has plans to smoke 12lbs of tri tip and he asks him how long that should take.

The employee tells him he smokes tri-tip for 14 hours. :shock:

Whoa! So I ask him what temp he cooks at and what the final temp of the meat is. He says he cooks at 220 and pulls when it is 137! So I let the guy know that tri-tip won't take longer than an hour and a half and that he needs to check on it at about an hour to see how it is doing. I also explain how to put a thermometer inside the unit so he will know what the temp is inside the unit. As I am explaining this, another employee comes up and corrects me, stating that "this unit has a thermometer on the door" so another thermometer isn't necessary. :doh:

So the customer then points to the smokers on the rack and asks me which one I would buy. The small electric, the gasser or one of the brinkman bullets. Oh man, what a question. So I look at the employee and tell him to plug his ears. I then tell him that I would by a WSM. He then tells me he wants one today, so which of these would I buy. So I choose the lesser of evils and point to the gasser. At least it has the space he needs and he will be able to control the fire easily enough. I then point him to the wood chunks over the chips and I am on my way.

I run into him a bit later in another area of the store and he asks me about the thermometers again as he is confused between internal of the smoker and internal of the meat. I get this all cleared up for him and he is now on his way to his BBQ journey. I also invited him out to a local contest I will be out in a couple weeks, so hopefully he will show up and I can help him some more!

That's a good deed in my book, and I assume almost everyone on this board would step in and do the same. I can't fault generic big box hardware store employees for not knowing the ins and outs of smokers & the process, but it's definitely nice to spread the love.

That's a good deed in my book, and I assume almost everyone on this board would step in and do the same. I can't fault generic big box hardware store employees for not knowing the ins and outs of smokers & the process, but it's definitely nice to spread the love.

Thanks! And ya, I agree, but unfortunately he was giving out bad advice and making it sound like he knew what he was talking about.

Trouble Maker.....JK, you did a good deed indeed:thumb:, did you refer him to this site

Thanks! I realized later that I should have pointed him this way. At least then he could get some help during his cook if he needed it. If I see him at the contest, I definitely will!

I can't help but wonder what a tri-tip looks like after 14 hours at 220F.

Way to stand up for truth, justice, and good eats!

A tri tip smoked
wsmsmile8gm.gif
for 14 hours is called this where I'm from....
clean1.gif
cheers y'all...

beef%20jerky.jpg

J of S
jack-spades.png

I wish somebody would have set me straight on my first time using my first smoker! I had ribs that were charcoal, I cooked them at 10-12 hours it was bad, live and learn!

hahaha 14 hour smoke on a tri tip? good job on helping out though!

I've had that happen and it is hard not to step in. I think you did the right thing. I hope you invited him to join the forum.

I know what it would look like...

You remember Raiders of the Lost Ark when the Ark sends out all the spirts, and the Nazis get all scorched up?

That.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Nice job. But I was surprised you recommended the gasser over the pellet pooper. I would use neither to smoke but have some friends that really like how their pooper smokes.

Ya know, it's guys like you that make the Big Box guys chit! Atta Boy! And, that "plug your ears" ploy is golden!

I've asked a lot of quesitons from a lot of folks and this place is about the only place I can get good - honest to goodness - well thought out answeres... Even if there are disagreements, it's still better than "plan B" stuff.

Nice job. But I was surprised you recommended the gasser over the pellet pooper. I would use neither to smoke but have some friends that really like how their pooper smokes.

No no...there was no pellet pooper...when I say electric, I mean electric...as in a hot plate as a heating element and you add wood chips for smoke. It was much smaller than the gasser and cost $50 more in the store.

If these links work, you will see what I mean...

http://www.lowes.com/pd_298004-58355-20070106_4294857758_4294937087_?productId=3031369&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Smokers_4294857758_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1

http://www.lowes.com/pd_190449-95393-DGY784CP_4294857758_4294937087_?productId=3087719&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Smokers_4294857758_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1

Sweep it out with the ashes!

Cheers!

Bill

P.S. But seriously, its worse here. NOBODY owns a smoker. Everytime I get asked a question I just freeze up..... nope... you're not ready... nobody's ready... for a 4 hour dissertation... I need help!:crazy: :twitch:

Back