MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
bigbeef24
Full Fledged Farker

Default Resting time for brisket

Just finishing a prime brisket and have it in the cooler still wrapped. Ive read some different times and a little concerned that it is going to continue to cook. Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks,
Bigbeef24

Big Pappa UDS
Lang 48 Deluxe (In 4 weeks)
bigbeef24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Paulie
Knows what a fatty is.

I prefer to rest my brisket uncovered or lightly covered with foil for 45 to 60 min or so after pulling to let things even out. It's going to keep cooking regardless, just not sure how a long wrapped rest will affect the finished product. Was it probing like buttah when you pulled it?
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
Porcine Perfection
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : ...

Rest it unwrapped for about 15 minutes to keep it from continuing to cook. Foil it back up and rest it for at least one hour.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
bigbeef24
Full Fledged Farker

oh, yeah like butter. Should I let it rest in the juices?
bigbeef24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

Stick a temperature probe in it while it's venting. When the temperature starts to go down, you are pretty safe wrapping it back up to rest.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeef24 View Post
Just finishing a prime brisket and have it in the cooler still wrapped. Ive read some different times and a little concerned that it is going to continue to cook. Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks,
Bigbeef24

Big Pappa UDS
Lang 48 Deluxe (In 4 weeks)
If I'm cooking to an internal temp of 200, I'll pull the brisket at 195 and put it in the cooler. It'll climb another 5 to 6 degrees and then start slowly coming back down. I usually let it rest in there still wrapped for two hours or more letting it hold at about 200 degrees for as long as it want's to before it begins it's decent in temperature. While it's doing so any connective tissues that are left will let go and the juices go back to the center resulting in a very tender piece of meat. So in short, I pull the brisket about 5 degrees before the target temp is reached and rest it for two hours or more. When I cut it it's still almost too hot to handle and it wobbles on the cutting board due to a lack of connective tissues to hold it together!

Old 06-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I rest mine an average of 2 hrs or however long it takes for the internal temp to drop into the 150's wraped as it came off the pit in butcher paper on the counter top