MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #16
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomlord View Post
I have a hard time getting mine much higher than 325° What's your setup? Empty foiled water pan? Clay saucer? Using lump or briqs? How do you set up and start your fire?

My setup-

-Empty foiled water pan.
-No saucer.
-All lump, 3/4 lit chimney.

Target temp is aimed for by the timing of the closing down of the bottom vents. i.e., the higher the target, the longer I leave the intakes open full (w/ variables like ambient temp/wind considered).

This is my basic approach to every WSM cook.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #17
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by charrederhead View Post
My setup-

-Empty foiled water pan.
-No saucer.
-All lump, 3/4 lit chimney.

Target temp is aimed for by the timing of the closing down of the bottom vents. i.e., the higher the target, the longer I leave the intakes open full (w/ variables like ambient temp/wind considered).

This is my basic approach to every WSM cook.
That's my general approach--how much I fill the chimney varies a bit depending on how hot I want to go. Even so, I've had trouble getting the temps up past 300. Of course, I've only had my WSM since the fall, and the bulk of my use has been during the winter, so we'll just have to see...

Old 05-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #18
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Hmmm...on my 18", I use water, all 3 vents closed, and I settle in right about 240-250.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #19
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Oh, I usually start with a full chimney for this. I still can get 12-15 hours out of a load, depending on the weather.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #20
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Campbell View Post
Sorry, need more info
Lump, 12 lit KBB Briqs on top. I can get it to 275 but it settles at 250. Water pan with foil on the inside and a pizza stone laid inside. I can keep this temp fairly well, It seems everyone else can keep this 250ish with most of their vents closed.
How about experimenting with more lit coals in the beginning? It seems like your coals are not lighting effectively even with your vents wide open.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #21
Tim Campbell
On the road to being a farker

I will try more coals. That just seems like it will make the load burn quicker. I am trying to figure out how people get 12 hour burns out of lump

Old 05-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #22
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

What is the reason to start w/ briqs?

"Smothering" the fire adds to length of burn. So, all lump + bigger chimney + cracked intakes = long, hot burn.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #23
Tim Campbell
On the road to being a farker

I start with Briqs because they are easier to light in a chimney. I had been using crap lump and most of it would just fall through. Wicked Good is bigger but I still think it is easier to light KBB and put it on the lump

Old 05-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #24
BobM
Babbling Farker

I fill up my charcoal ring to the top with fuel.
I light it in 3 places with a high output propane torch.
I let it burn for about 10 - 15 minutes before putting the cooker together.
I always leave the top vent fully open, unless I have a temperature problem.
I start with the 3 bottom vents fully open, and close them off as I approach my target temperature. Most cooks have 2 fully closed, and the 3rd about 1/4 - 1/2 open.
I do not use water. I was using a foiled clay flower pot base in the foiled water pan, now I just foil the water pan.
If I use lump and let her rip, both my WSMs will go up to 375F or so.
A WSM dome thermometer tends to read about 50F lower than the actual temperature at the top grate.
Good luck.
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #25
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

I'm running my 22.5 right now. 3 racks of baby's on the top, a pan of baked beans on the bottom. I'm using all RO lump,. full ring, foiled water pan dry. I have one bottom vent open and I'm running at 300. I'd like to be at 275, but I closed the vents a little to late. It's also pretty chilly here today only 45.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #26
Brian in Maine
is Blowin Smoke!

Is there enough room on the grates for proper air flow. I've had 2 times when I had a tough time keeping the temp up. one was due to high winds, and the other was due to too much food in the cooker.

2 WSMs
2 OTG One red one black
22 1/2" black Bar-B-Kettle with rotisserie ring
Brinkman dual zone charcoal grill
Webber Silver Genises B
3 burner camp stove
Brian in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #27
buttburnersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Don't rely on the temp gauge you get with the smoker. I have 2 WSM and either one of the temp gauges you get with the smoker work properly. Get a electronic thermometer and check out. Alo like everyone else said if you put water in the pan temp will go down.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:28 AM   #28
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttburnersbbq View Post
Don't rely on the temp gauge you get with the smoker. I have 2 WSM and either one of the temp gauges you get with the smoker work properly. Get a electronic thermometer and check out. Alo like everyone else said if you put water in the pan temp will go down.
I think it's accurate, it's just not at the grate level. But yeah, don't rely on that to be your cooking temp.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #29
Porcine Perfection
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : ...

What and how much of it were you cooking?