MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #1
Wh1skey6
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Smoked gravy - BEST. THING. EVER!

First time smoking a turkey and the wife was fretting over the gravy. We've deep fried the last two years and did not have real gravy.

I bought a second rack for the UDS and placed a pan on it. Placed the turkey on the top rack. In the pan, I threw in the following:

- turkey neck
- turkey back (from spatchcocking)
- 2 cups of boiling water with sugar and salt (this was to prevent the drippings from burning before they had a chance to collect)
- 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar
- half an onion cut up into chunks
- 1 apple sliced up

I tell you what...this was the most amazing turkey gravy I've ever had.

Thanks from: --->

Old 11-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Sounds good! Nice lookin' bird.

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

That looks like the way to go, Good Job! I've gotta try that.

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
Mike Y
Got Wood.

I like the idea of a vinegar. I don't think I've seen a gravy with vinegar before.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

It really is the way to go. I also do this for chickens. Provided they fit in the pan, I just set them in the pan and smoke them.

I just pour all those drippings into a tall glass and skim the fat from the top and use the fat to replace some or all of the butter when making the roux. I use the liquid from the drippings as the liquid to make the gravy, usually adding a little cream and milk to give it body.

Best damn gravy ever in my opinion. Flavor matches the meat.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
gtr

I've been seriously considering adding a second grate in the UDS just to place a pan to catch drippings on larger cuts, which is something I have been remiss in until recently. I like the boiling water idea to keep the drippings from burning. And biggy - I actually really salivated reading your post.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
Tonybel
Babbling Farker

I did what you did and everyone loved the smoked gravy.... My brother was just pouring it on everything.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
buccaneer

My secret pleasure is gravy on peas with white pepper and mint!
Or maybe it is peas floating in gravy...but gravy over roast vegetables is heaven!

Old 11-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #9
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #10
AspenTD
Found some matches.

Sounds like you've started a new T-Day tradition! Nice work. I've done something similar in the past but I'm a little apple happy and need to learn to cut back on the fruit and go with something more like your recipe. The vinegar is also an interesting idea and definitely something to experiment with the next go round.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #11
Wh1skey6
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for the comments. The cider vinegar was always my default go to on my water smoker. On my ECB, I used random different liquids in the water pan to test.

My favorite was using my daughter's kool aid (I had been drinking and it sounded like a good idea). Those ribs had an awesome Island Berry Blue flavor!

I think this gravy turned out as well as it did because I made a roux with the drippings.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #12
f308gt4
On the road to being a farker

We've been doing the smoked gravy thing for a few years now. I've had times when it's been a little too smokey, however. This year, I made two batches of stock- one for under the turkey, and one that I did on the stove top. I then mixed the two batches together. This ensured that there was just a hint of smoke in the gravy, but not too much.
f308gt4 is offline   Reply With Quote