I went through photobucket. I can check the settings again. The original pictures are definitely big enough just not totally sure of the best process.

I believe bigabyte used photobucket for his entries. Maybe knows what is going on.

CD

I think there is a default upload size in Photobucket that resizes your images to that size for you, in order to save space. I disabled that a few years back. I'm not sure if they still have such an option now or not (they now allow unlimited storage for all users I believe), but you might need to check that out.

Under your profile go to "Account Settings", then go into "Album Settings", and click the link "View Upload Options". You can set the "Web Size" there to a higher value that limits the size used to display on web pages. If you set it to the max, it will use whatever size you uploaded the file as (unless the original is larger of course).

Under your profile go to "Account Settings", then go into "Album Settings", and click the link "View Upload Options". You can set the "Web Size" there to a higher value that limits the size used to display on web pages. If you set it to the max, it will use whatever size you uploaded the file as (unless the original is larger of course).

I size my throwdown pr0n to 1,000 pixels wide. Between 800 and 1,000 seems to be a good size for presenting your food.

CD

Shawarma-HD

Hey guys, re-loading the pictures at higher resolution.
P1200053.jpg

P1200054.jpg

P1200057.jpg

P1200059.jpg

P1200061.jpg

P1200065.jpg

P1200072.jpg

Fantastic cook though.

I don't use photobucket, I use picasa, but I imagine it is all the same.
What I do is I have set picasa to a size that i can view well on my screen (a laptop mainly) and then I just right click and copy the url of the photo at that size.

I couldn't find any street food in a jar, so far, so I may miss this throwdown. I really don't want to cook, of I don't have to.

I will keep looking.

CD

SKA BBQ, I can honestly say that your photos are not too small anymore. :shock:

I have a 27-inch monitor, and I had to scroll. :doh:

CD :becky:

Okay, I really liked the way my Puerto Rican Roadside Chicken turned out, but I really didn't do it for this throwdown. I did it because I've been wanting to do it for a long time -- and I got a rotisserie for Christmas. I was hoping to come up with something more exotic for the throwdown.

But, I just booked several days of photoshoots with some big time clients that I have been courting for a long time. I can well exceed my monthly budget this weekend alone. Yeah, fark the throwdown -- and I mean that in the best possible way. I have bills to pay. :becky:

So, here's what I gots for ya. It tasted really good, even though it is kind of boring to look at.

Puerto Rican Roadside Chicken

When I was in college, my parents lived in Puerto Rico. My dad's employer paid for me to go down there twice a year. As much as I loved Puerto Rico during winter break, I loved the Cuban influenced food even more.

All around San Juan, mostly outside of town, where tourists never went, there were these roadside trailers with these amazing whole roasted chickens.

I tried to reproduce this treat, without a recipe that I could verify as authentic.

I started with a whole chicken, and a marinade, made with orange and lime juices, dried oregano from my garden, cumin, olive oil, onion, and some garlic that I found online.

After marinading for eight-hours, I gave the bird a quick rinse and dry, and loaded it onto the rotisserie spear thingy.

picture.php

After about an hour, the bird was cooked, and golden brown, as confirmed by my stealthy grey Thermapen.

picture.php

After a proper rest, I cut my bird in half, photographed one half, while simultaneously eating the other half. I've never been a multi-tasker, but if you want something badly enough, amazing things happen. :becky:

Here is the famous/infamous BBQ Brethren fork shot.

picture.php

I can't say that I nailed the authentic Puerto Rican roadside taste, but it was close enough, and tasted really good. It was definitely tender and juicy.

I personally think I nailed the fork shot crutch. Have you ever seen a better shot of a plastic fork? :bow:

Thanks for looking.

CD

Farkin work is farking with me this weekend. I have time to browse and read forums, but not actually COOK!:doh:

hopefully tomorrow I can get my entry in.

Chicago Italian "Inspired" Beef sammie...

First off, before the chit storm starts :tsk:, let me say that this is my take on this iconic sammie. I know this is not a classic Chicago Italian Beef sandwich, but I used the classic as inspiration for mine. The cut of beef is different (pulled boneless chuck ribs versus thin sliced top round)and the bread I used (French hoagie versus Italian hoagie) is not authentic. I also made a homemade version of hot Giardiniera relish. I'm sure it's not quite authentic either, but I live in Northeastern Washington. Not quite a huge hotbed of Italian cooking influence round these parts.

The first (and only time) I ever had this sammie was in Chicago about five years ago on a business trip. It was at the end of a long day of business, and an even longer night on the town. While the exact details are a little fuzzy :rolleyes:, I do remember that I farkin loved it!

With all that said, and hopefully with everyone's feathers in place, I present Al's Chicago Italian "Inspired" beef sammie.

First off, the ingredients for the Giardiniera.

edit_preview.php

All diced up and about to get soaked in salted water. After 24 hours, I drained and rinsed the veggies. To the veggies, I added garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, black pepper, green olives, vinegar and olive oil.

edit_preview.php

Now for the beef. I used boneless country style beef ribs.

edit_preview.php

Seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, basil, oregano, basil and Italian seasonig.

edit_preview.php

On to the Traeger for about two hours of smoke as seen below.

edit_preview.php

Once they hit about 160, I put them in a foil pan and added some beef base and water and covered. Here they are after about another hour.

edit_preview.php

Now, back to the Giadiniera. It sat in the fridge for two days and I mixed it three of four times a day. It was tough not to snack on it, but I did my best not to :rolleyes:. The flavors infused better each day.

edit_preview.php

Once the beef was butta tender, I pulled it from the foil, drained the liquid, and rested the meat for about an hour. By the time I pulled it, all the connective tissues had melted into gelatin. :becky:

edit_preview.php

Here's the finished product served up on a nice soft French hoagie. As you can see, topped with the Giardiniera and a few slices of pepperoncini. I also drizzled some reheated liquid over all the goodies, and threw on an extra side of Giardiniera. :thumb:

edit_preview.php

All in all, I'd say it was darn tasty. :bow: The beef was tender, juicy and very flavorful. The Giardiniera had the right amount of heat, flavor and a wonderful crunch. By the time I chowed down, the juice had soaked enough into the bun to make it a little sloppy, but not so much that I had to do the Chicago lean. :heh:

Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoyed my "Street Food"...

:becky:

Last edited:
Back