What to do with beef rib (lifter, wedge, blade) muscle

Debmar

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
shoe
We raise our own beef and the beef ribs we get back from the butcher who does our cutting and wrapping (big 2-4 bone sections kind of like the dino ribs i see here on the forum) have an extra section of meat furthest away from the bone. I finally found some info on it online or think I have anyway. I found references to lifter, wedge, or blade muscle that is sometimes included above the fat cap. Some Of the ribs we get have (depending on where they are from on the animal an excessive amount of fat between the normal rib muscle and this lifter and i remove both). The fat wont all render and the lifter muscle is much leaner and can be tough when done to temps the true ribs require. I think another name might be the lattisimus dorsi sp?
I want to talk to my butcher about this prior to having the steers that are in the cooler processed but thought i would ask here first to try and get a bit more educated.
Anyone familiar with this and have any advice on dealing with it?
How to use this meat to get best use out of it?
Thanks
Martin

We raise our own beef and the beef ribs we get back from the butcher who does our cutting and wrapping (big 2-4 bone sections kind of like the dino ribs i see here on the forum) have an extra section of meat furthest away from the bone. I finally found some info on it online or think I have anyway. I found references to lifter, wedge, or blade muscle that is sometimes included above the fat cap. Some Of the ribs we get have (depending on where they are from on the animal an excessive amount of fat between the normal rib muscle and this lifter and i remove both). The fat wont all render and the lifter muscle is much leaner and can be tough when done to temps the true ribs require. I think another name might be the lattisimus dorsi sp?
I want to talk to my butcher about this prior to having the steers that are in the cooler processed but thought i would ask here first to try and get a bit more educated.
Anyone familiar with this and have any advice on dealing with it?
How to use this meat to get best use out of it?
Thanks
Martin

My processor also likes to leave the lattisimus dorsi on our plate ribs. I just posted about it 2 weeks ago. See this thread.

And here is a video of a cook with the "lifter meat" left on the rib.
As you can see from the video, the lifter meat and its associated fat layer makes the rib very juicy. However, the fat layer does not completely render, and the top layer of meat is not very tender. Also, the seasoning cannot penetrate into the rib meat.

Which is better? I enjoy it both ways. But I suspect most people would prefer the lifter meat and fat layer removed.
As you noted, the lifter meat is not very tender when left on the rib. Unfortunately, it is even less tender when removed and cooked fast/hot.
Sorry I can't be of any more help.

It sounds like you're dealing with an extra section of meat on your beef ribs, which could be the lifter, wedge, or blade muscle located above the fat cap. This additional muscle can vary in tenderness and fat content compared to the regular rib meat. Some ribs might have excessive fat between the lifter muscle and the normal rib muscle, which can be challenging to render. Removing both the excess fat and the lifter muscle might be necessary for optimal cooking results.

Before processing your steers, it's a good idea to discuss this with your butcher to ensure you're both on the same page. They might have suggestions on how to handle this type of meat to get the best use out of it. Experimenting with different cooking methods, such as slow cooking or braising, might help tenderize the tougher portions of meat while maximizing flavor.

Back