MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:17 AM   #1
Drh7003
Full Fledged Farker

Default First Competition as a spectator

This is probably in the wrong catagory, but...

Yesterday was my my wife and my anniversary. We went out to eat at a seafood restaurant and while at dinner we got to talking...
So, SHE says we should check out the Swinetastic BBQ contest since it is just an hour away...
Amazing what the little lady comes up with.

I plan on stopping by the brethren sites after crunch time, if we get a chance...

Old 06-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

As long as you realize that KCBS competitions aren't a spectator sport you will enjoy the experience. The teams are concentrating on cooking and, generally speaking, you are on the outside looking in.

That being said, it is great seeing the teams and possibly getting to meet several brethren if the timing is right.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
chrischandler71
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

I went to one last weekend in Tryon, NC and had a great time. I went on Friday, and really enjoyed walking around and looking at all the different pits people were cooking on. I found everyone real nice. I was there on Friday evening, so most teams were just kind of milling around getting prepared. Everyone looked to be having a great time, and the camaraderie was great. Hope you have a great time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #4
Drh7003
Full Fledged Farker

I appreciate the comments guys. I learn a lot watching people and I do not need to be up close and questioning to get something from the experience. I am an inspector at work and I watch people all the time....
I just hope my knee is up to it!

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

So, what did you think?

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2012, 06:10 AM   #6
Drh7003
Full Fledged Farker

It was nice and my wife had a good time, so that was the #1 priority! It wasn't much different than going to a team shooting competition. I got to meet up with some brethren that I have only spoke with on here and talk with some old friends. Stopped at Fire & Spice and Aporkalypse now's sites. My wife enjoyed the KCBS cooking demo's and Mike from the cooking demo's did a great job. Other than losing my cell phone in the first hour (and getting it back!)it was a nice day.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:35 AM   #7
"Bone to Bark" BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drh7003 View Post
It was nice and my wife had a good time, so that was the #1 priority! It wasn't much different than going to a team shooting competition. I got to meet up with some brethren that I have only spoke with on here and talk with some old friends. Stopped at Fire & Spice and Aporkalypse now's sites. My wife enjoyed the KCBS cooking demo's and Mike from the cooking demo's did a great job. Other than losing my cell phone in the first hour (and getting it back!)it was a nice day.
Hey, it was a nice day at Swinetastic! We were competing in the "backyard" rib competition and had a great time. Couldn't have asked for a nicer day and a better organized event. Glad you could make it!

Old 06-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
Goddahavit
is one Smokin' Farker

It was great to meet you!
Backyard Jambo
Stump's Stretch
Bubba Keg
Weber WSM
Old weber gasser
Goddahavit is offline   Reply With Quote