• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Mini UDS Vs. UDS

jfletcher84

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I love my uds but Ihad to trade in my truck for a corolla :tsk: I would like to take a smoker on vacation with me. how does the mini uds compare to a full size uds? also what is the best design for a mini uds?

What I know is that the mini can do the same as the large.
The mini get's up to temp quicker and gets higher in temp from my experience.
The design on my mini is the same as on my Midi and Large (KISS).
Only real problem is that you have less grate space than the bigger versions ofcourse.

Heres a pic of my MUDS
CIMG0434.jpg

I made it from my Smokey Joe. The barrel ia 10 gallon barrel that I found which was the hardest part of this. I have heard some other Bretherin are using large pots and 15 gallon barrels for the Smokey Joe MUDS's I made a chacoal basket, and added a ceramic heat sink. There are 2 racks. My next mod will be to add a fitting to hook up my IQ 110 to it.
CIMG0427.jpg

http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/...and Smoking/?action=view&current=CIMG0425.jpg http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/...and Smoking/?action=view&current=CIMG0430.jpg
CIMG0431.jpg

This little smoker has put out some awesome meat. I took it camping with me last summer and the other campers crazy with the smell of the meat smoking. I have done 2 Boston Butts at the same time in her.

How mini you talking? This is 12-1/4" tall
littleuds004.jpg

thats incredibly small! have any pictures of the inside? how far away is the meat from the charcoal and how much charcoal are you even using in there?

Kinda like the drinks at Starbucks!

Short, Grande, Venti.

IMG_0525_1.jpg

I'll let you know when I finish up the 30 gallon UDS with a Weber lid (it will be the Tall in the drink lineup!)

I used mine just like I use any of the other drums, its a turbo cooker-so the charcoal basket size has a lot of sway in what I want to do with it.

6"x6"x6"
IMG_0411.jpg

8" on a SJ charcoal grate
IMG_0462.jpg

Weber Rapid Fire chimney starter full of Kingsford with room to spare!
IMG_0465.jpg

I always cooked direct with it and liked the ease of use, it is a tight unit and I could get 2-3 weeknight grilling sessions out of a basket of lump/briqs. Worked fine for me, I just don't use it enough since I got the Mini Cajun Bandit Smoke Joe.

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

IMG_0527_1.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

I like doing Reverse Sear cooks and the stainless steel dog dishes I use for diffusers in the Smokey's and the lift off center section just too easy to use-I'm lazy!

IMG_3523.jpg

Back