Smoked Pastrami question

martyleach

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Ok, so I've got a corned beef point that I am desalinating in a tub of water. I'll let that go 2 days with water changes.
Then my plan is to hang that puppy in my cold smoke house for 6-8 hours to pick up some smoke.
Then I rub it and cook it on my egg.

Anybody done something like that?? Is this a good idea or bad?

Marty, I NEED more info on your new smoke house, please...

NUTZ

OOPS, Guess what I found two posts down!

I have some rump roast curing at the moment.

Once the meat has cured I plan on rubbing with pickling spice then cold smoking for ~5days after this time I am undecided whether to steam the meat or wrap them in baking paper and tin foil and cook in the oven.

I have a chook walking around pecking in the garden.

I'm undecided, wait till it dies and pluck it and rub it in butter and seasonings and then brine it, or brine it then rub it, smoke it till its rubbery skinned then sear it, or kill it soon and stuff it with Nanna's secret sage and sixpence haggis stuffing recipe and roast it hot n fast, thenn rub it in butter.
And you guys are no help at all!

Sounds like way more work than I ever have time to do. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

I'm not an authority but I hope this helps. Adapted from a book on all types of cured meats and sausage.

One thing to think about is the book uses instacure #1/pink salt in the brine while curing. The reason is the threat of botulism. I am not sure if this is a point you brined or one done commercially. Or how 6-8 hours of cold smoke will affect it.

This is the suggested method adapted from the book is. Preheated smokehouse @ 130* for 1 hr with dampers fully open. Close dampers to 1/4 open and apply light smoke for 2 hours. [Then raise the smokehouse temp to 220* until the meat has an internal temp of 175*] Instead of raising the smokehouse temp you would throw it on the egg until it is done to your preference. I have heard everything from 160* to 180* on the final internal temp.

I have a chook walking around pecking in the garden.

I'm undecided, wait till it dies and pluck it and rub it in butter and seasonings and then brine it, or brine it then rub it, smoke it till its rubbery skinned then sear it, or kill it soon and stuff it with Nanna's secret sage and sixpence haggis stuffing recipe and roast it hot n fast, thenn rub it in butter.
And you guys are no help at all!
Got me an underground mutton hoping around in my garden since yesterday. I am faced with the same dilemma.:shock:

Thanks Moose but I have cooked a bunch of pastrami. This is a question of incorporating cold smoke into the pastrami prior to cooking. I've never done that before but will on Wednesday .....

I wondered if that is what you were getting at..... I've flavor smoked a lot of things in my Big and Little Chief box smokers, including commercially corned briskets. I guess it's not a true "cold" smoke, but if it's cold outside, I can only pull 150* out of them, so let's call it the low end of "hot smoking".

Most things I flavor smoke only are in the box for a couple of hours before going to another smoker, but I smoke corned briskets for at least 3 hours. I generally hang them so I don't have to open the lid. This is a non-corned brisket flat, but you get the idea.

DSC02737aaa.jpg

Thanks Thirdeye
That is exactly the information I was looking for. My little smokehouse will get up to about 70 degrees this time of year. I will hang them for 3+ hours and get cookin'.

I wondered if that is what you were getting at..... I've flavor smoked a lot of things in my Big and Little Chief box smokers, including commercially corned briskets. I guess it's not a true "cold" smoke, but if it's cold outside, I can only pull 150* out of them, so let's call it the low end of "hot smoking".

Most things I flavor smoke only are in the box for a couple of hours before going to another smoker, but I smoke corned briskets for at least 3 hours. I generally hang them so I don't have to open the lid. This is a non-corned brisket flat, but you get the idea.

DSC02737aaa.jpg

Back