MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:52 PM   #4276
Old Hippie
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfxr27 View Post
I beleive around page 100-150, someone mentioned the food drums with this coating was eezy peezy.
Stuff is tuff as nails, up against this
But not this:

Old 10-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #4277
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

I know I know. Unfortunately I've moved from 50 acre do what I want to a 1 acre nosey neighbor can't burn nuthin. Maybe I'll have to take a trip. Or just buy an unlined new and tide and warm water bathe it. Seems more appropriate for the neighberhood.
jetfxr27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2009, 09:39 PM   #4278
phDog
Got Wood.

neighbors shmeighbors. i live a mile outside manhattan in an attached row house and burned a drum last night for 6 hours. aaaand i live right across the street from a fire station!
phDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2009, 09:20 AM   #4279
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by phDog View Post
neighbors shmeighbors. i live a mile outside manhattan in an attached row house and burned a drum last night for 6 hours. aaaand i live right across the street from a fire station!
And you sir were my inspiration!

Redneck friends and family always looking for a fire to drink a beer next to helps

ANDD Still not out

Looks like we'll need two more burns. I can see why everyone prefers new unlined. PIA.

Last edited by jetfxr27; 10-04-2009 at 02:05 PM..

Old 10-04-2009, 11:52 AM   #4280
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

I got an open top drum with lid

and something to make a fire basket

I used a 2" EMT for air vent and started the burn

the coating is coming off

burn done, the coating rinsed off with water after the burn

almost finished, just a few mods that will always be done as new ideas come up

the air vent

a 1.5" knock out cover was the perfect sizr to close the top of the air pipe.

Last edited by Crazy Harry; 10-04-2009 at 12:10 PM..
Crazy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #4281
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

Now thats ugleeeeeeeeeee.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:49 PM   #4282
sbramm
is one Smokin' Farker

i did a burn today with a harbor freight weed burner. took all of 10 minutes at full throttle on a drum that housed olive oil. the paint on the outside brushed off with a rag, inside will need a light sanding. GET A WEED BURNER!!!! easy peasy.....

Old 10-04-2009, 05:37 PM   #4283
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbramm View Post
i did a burn today with a harbor freight weed burner. took all of 10 minutes at full throttle on a drum that housed olive oil. the paint on the outside brushed off with a rag, inside will need a light sanding. GET A WEED BURNER!!!! easy peasy.....
What am I doing wrong. I tried a weedburner today and only got the lower third, not to include the bottom. Guess the rain and cooler weather didnt help.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:09 AM   #4284
Old Hippie
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Harry View Post
and something to make a fire basket
That cat ain't gona' make no fire basket for you!
Quote:
burn done, the coating rinsed off with water after the burn
Hope you did some sanding/wire brushing also.
Quote:
almost finished, just a few mods that will always be done as new ideas come up
Just curious. Why so high?

Old 10-05-2009, 05:18 PM   #4285
biggs98
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Kinda Stuck???

Anyone using the 3/4 pipe nipples as intakes w/conduit nuts having trouble threading them all the way through? ( no access to welder) I even tried threading 1 all the way through before installing but couldn't get the other one to thread to the drum. Any suggestions? Thanks
[B][COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Yellow"]Joe[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] - [B][U][COLOR="DarkOrange"][COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Black"]CHUBBY HUBBY BBQ - [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/U][/B] [B][COLOR="Black"]Humphreys[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="black"][COLOR="Yellow"]Pint[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] / STAINLESS UDS(Build in Progress)/2 UDS /1 WSM / Weber Gasser/ 22.5 Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36/ The Absolute Fastest Super Fast [B][U][B][I]BLACK[/I][/B][/U][/B] Thermapen[COLOR="Black"][/COLOR]
biggs98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2009, 05:26 PM   #4286
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs98 View Post
Anyone using the 3/4 pipe nipples as intakes w/conduit nuts having trouble threading them all the way through? ( no access to welder) I even tried threading 1 all the way through before installing but couldn't get the other one to thread to the drum. Any suggestions? Thanks
If you don't have a welder you can just cover the hole with magnets or this idea I used from Jerry.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:46 PM   #4287
biggs98
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
If you don't have a welder you can just cover the hole with magnets or this idea I used from Jerry.

Was thinking of going that way too. Thanks....... I guess another HD trip is in my future.
[B][COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Yellow"]Joe[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] - [B][U][COLOR="DarkOrange"][COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Black"]CHUBBY HUBBY BBQ - [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/U][/B] [B][COLOR="Black"]Humphreys[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="black"][COLOR="Yellow"]Pint[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] / STAINLESS UDS(Build in Progress)/2 UDS /1 WSM / Weber Gasser/ 22.5 Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36/ The Absolute Fastest Super Fast [B][U][B][I]BLACK[/I][/B][/U][/B] Thermapen[COLOR="Black"][/COLOR]

Old 10-05-2009, 07:56 PM   #4288
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs98 View Post
I'll try to help. The short, full thread nipples are slightly tapered from the center down to the end so it is not possible to run a nut all the way across them. What I did is to thread a conduit nut onto the nipple as far as it will go. Then install the nipple from inside the barrel and thread another nut on from the outside. I used a pair of vise grips attached to the nipple to keep it from turning as I tightened the outer nut. You could install the nipple from the outside and turn on the other nut from inside the barrel but that is really cumbersome and it's quite tight quarters!
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #4289
biggs98
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' D View Post
I'll try to help. The short, full thread nipples are slightly tapered from the center down to the end so it is not possible to run a nut all the way across them. What I did is to thread a conduit nut onto the nipple as far as it will go. Then install the nipple from inside the barrel and thread another nut on from the outside. I used a pair of vise grips attached to the nipple to keep it from turning as I tightened the outer nut. You could install the nipple from the outside and turn on the other nut from inside the barrel but that is really cumbersome and it's quite tight quarters!
Thats what I'll be trying tomm. I'll have my bro for some help too. Thanks for the explanation and idea.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:56 PM   #4290
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hippie View Post
That cat ain't gona' make no fire basket for you!
nope, just inspecting and removing rodents
with the legs removed (from the fireplace, not the cat) and the half of the expanded metal makes a nice basket and plenty of ash collector.

Quote:
Hope you did some sanding/wire brushing also.
wasn't necessary, water and brush removed the coating leaving bare metal. the picture is before washing.

Quote:
Just curious. Why so high?
better draft and its easier to cut it shorter than to lengthen it later
I didn't have and couldn't find a a dome lid. the pipe stack was easier than drilling the lid full of holes. It was my first try at a USD and I wanted to keep the ugly in the name.
geese, this sounds like a bunch of excuses, and excuses are like a buthole; everybody has one and they all stink.
Crazy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker