MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:44 AM   #31
eap0510
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
It is what it is, and people continue to cook, judge, ask questions, and offer advice. There just seems to be more sleep involved, and less beer than there used to be.
I believe that this sums it up nicely. When I first started out in BBQ I was a judge and saw a lot of people cooking on a offset. I would see them about half out of it from staying up all night long tending their fire and drinking beer.

Now when I go to judge a contest I do not see these people very often. More often than not the competitors, myself included, are using a gravity fed cooker and are holed up in the nice camper. I cook in Georgia and for me personally it is just to hot and uncomfortable to sit outside and B.S with everyone that passes by.
Also cooking at a contest is now more like a business for people since they are plunking down to much money. In the business world most owners do not give away there information free since they would be essentially competition against themselves.

-Eric

Old 09-19-2018, 08:08 AM   #32
sarth67
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Sarth67

Every time I tried to start a thread here it just does not go anywhere. Rarely even check here any more.
sarth67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2018, 03:45 PM   #33
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarth67 View Post
Every time I tried to start a thread here it just does not go anywhere. Rarely even check here any more.
I just looked up your comp posts, guess I must have missed all of those unanswered ones?
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-19-2018, 07:59 PM   #34
Red Valley BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by masque13 View Post
As for shortcuts, I think us comp cooks at times send mixed messages. Lots of folks don’t feel comfortable sharing “trade secrets” online. And I get that. When you have paid hundreds or thousands of dollars in comp classes then it’s easy to have red ass when thinking someone wants you to share what you have learned for free. Especially online. However, at contests I have seen tons of folks share everything they know after hanging out a bit and drinking a few beers. So I think it depends on the situation.
I agree with this and probably should have been a little more specific about it. If someone is going to put the time and effort into visiting a comp and talking to teams, I am more likely to help with a few pointers. I even stopped by Rusty Kettle's place a couple years ago and helped a little with trimming pork butts. So I'm not against helping others. Its the folks online that post things as "I have my first competition coming up in a few weeks and need to know how to get bite through skin on my chicken" are the ones that chap my arse a bit.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-19-2018, 08:31 PM   #35
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Valley BBQ View Post
I agree with this and probably should have been a little more specific about it. If someone is going to put the time and effort into visiting a comp and talking to teams, I am more likely to help with a few pointers. I even stopped by Rusty Kettle's place a couple years ago and helped a little with trimming pork butts. So I'm not against helping others. Its the folks online that post things as "I have my first competition coming up in a few weeks and need to know how to get bite through skin on my chicken" are the ones that chap my arse a bit.
Yeah Sean did. He has helped me more than that over the years. Alot more. He has let me ask questions, send box pics to pick his brain, invited me to a practice cook that well got my head out of my arse, invited me up to a competition to let me see some of what he does. He didnt give me the whole answer. He did help guide me in the right direction. I have learned a heck of alot from him.
He is definitly more of the teach a man to fish type instead of the give a man a fish type.
It has defintily made all the difference.
My point is he is a great person and a heck of a great friend.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2018, 08:23 AM   #36
bigdogphin
is one Smokin' Farker

This forum used to awesome. I learned a lot over the years here and tried to give back where I could to help others but then a few know it alls came here and argued with everyone and drove a lot of the seasoned cooks out of here and to other venues. It's just not as fun anymore.

"Xquelibur" Black badazz Yoder Cimarron

Custom Yoder Frontiersman II and YS1500
Reverse FEC 100 & Right Handed FEC 100
1 UDS
Desert Thermapen W/ American flag
Green Thermapen
KCBS & PNWBA CBJ
bigdogphin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2018, 08:29 AM   #37
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogphin View Post
This forum used to awesome. I learned a lot over the years here and tried to give back where I could to help others but then a few know it alls came here and argued with everyone and drove a lot of the seasoned cooks out of here and to other venues. It's just not as fun anymore.
So why not make it fun again? I'll admit to not posting as much as I used to, but that has more to do with my work schedule and cleaning up after some of those know-it-alls and not having the time to post, but there is no reason to let a few individuals chase folks away. If folks ignore them and don't respond, they will be the ones going away.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2018, 09:18 AM   #38
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogphin View Post
it is what we make it. to be fair I do agree that we've lost some amazing posters the last few years. I joined 4 years ago at the tail end of what I call the golden age of the brethren. the original guys made this place great and drew in some real talent. as is the life cycle of a forum folks cycle in and out. it's still a great resource for knowledge and so many great people to hang out with.

we all evolve as time goes on. I produce way less content over the last year or so. heck there are probably some guys on here who are like who the fark is this ninja fella and what has he done.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:05 AM   #39
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
it is what we make it. to be fair I do agree that we've lost some amazing posters the last few years. I joined 4 years ago at the tail end of what I call the golden age of the brethren. the original guys made this place great and drew in some real talent. as is the life cycle of a forum folks cycle in and out. it's still a great resource for knowledge and so many great people to hang out with.

we all evolve as time goes on. I produce way less content over the last year or so. heck there are probably some guys on here who are like who the fark is this ninja fella and what has he done.
Who are you?

Old 09-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #40
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

I'm relatively new here and only started competing last year, but have asked some questions and learned a lot from them. One member was so generous to send me his rib recipe for his comp ribs. First time we tried it we didnt finish so well (too mushy, our fault), but the second time we took home first place. I didnt really know this place during its "Golden Age," but this age works for me now...

Old 09-21-2018, 09:54 AM   #41
enasnidx
Full Fledged Farker

I used to check in daily to this page. Now it’s probably not even once a week. Heck, this topic started on 9/15 and today is the first time I’m seeing it. There’s just not enough new discussion to keep me coming back. I think the biggest reason is that comp bbq is undoubtedly seeing attrition. Less teams competing less often = less discussion. I also think comp bbq has gotten to be so competitive that the new standard is ‘take a class’, run that program, repeat. There is little room for creativity because the risk is too high. Thus, less Q&A here. Finally, I’d argue that this forum drove away its best contributors. I tip my cap to Brad for being probably the most active member in this page despite the crazy amount of competitions and work he’s doing. But gone are the days when other folks that competed at his level came here to banter. Love him or hate him, this place needs guys like TDuffy to shake things up. Smart, out spoken, and yes abrasive contributors are what made these threads explode with content.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:44 PM   #42
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by enasnidx View Post
I used to check in daily to this page. Now it’s probably not even once a week. Heck, this topic started on 9/15 and today is the first time I’m seeing it. There’s just not enough new discussion to keep me coming back. I think the biggest reason is that comp bbq is undoubtedly seeing attrition. Less teams competing less often = less discussion. I also think comp bbq has gotten to be so competitive that the new standard is ‘take a class’, run that program, repeat. There is little room for creativity because the risk is too high. Thus, less Q&A here. Finally, I’d argue that this forum drove away its best contributors. I tip my cap to Brad for being probably the most active member in this page despite the crazy amount of competitions and work he’s doing. But gone are the days when other folks that competed at his level came here to banter. Love him or hate him, this place needs guys like TDuffy to shake things up. Smart, out spoken, and yes abrasive contributors are what made these threads explode with content.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:31 PM   #43
Blanton
is One Chatty Farker

All we need is Rusty to start some threads��

Old 09-21-2018, 09:42 PM   #44
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanton View Post
All we need is Rusty to start some threads��
Now you know this place is dead when someone suggests that... What the heck has this forum come to?

Old 09-21-2018, 11:49 PM   #45
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by enasnidx View Post
Agreed. We need TDuff and J$ back.