MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
harris92
Full Fledged Farker

Default iGrill Digital Thermometer

Anyone have one of these? Looks really cool but pricey....

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H6...meter?fnode=43

Old 07-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
Plaid Palace
On the road to being a farker

I believe if I were in the market for a thermometer I would buy a maverick et-732 instead.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Lots of folks including myself have them. I paid a lot less than that for mine though when AT&T had them on sale.

I thought about getting a Maverick but I've seen way too many posts about people having issues with the probes.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
redwingsphan
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'ville Grill View Post
Lots of folks including myself have them. I paid a lot less than that for mine though when AT&T had them on sale.

I thought about getting a Maverick but I've seen way too many posts about people having issues with the probes.
Do the probes fit through the grommit that you can from Cajun bandit? Also, how far does it transmit?

Old 07-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
porkingINpublic
is one Smokin' Farker

I have one.... Buy a maverick

Old 07-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
S4vant
Knows what a fatty is.

I have one, works great. There's both ios and android apps for it now. Decent range, thru a few walls and a floor to the other side of my house. The alarms are great, especially the ability to set hi-low range on one,, and meat temp on the other.

I believe they would fit the grommets, but can't say for sure, I did my own grommet mod using hollow threaded rod..

Old 07-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #7
redwingsphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4vant View Post
I have one, works great. There's both ios and android apps for it now. Decent range, thru a few walls and a floor to the other side of my house. The alarms are great, especially the ability to set hi-low range on one,, and meat temp on the other.

I believe they would fit the grommets, but can't say for sure, I did my own grommet mod using hollow threaded rod..
Thanks. I'm going to have to take a chance and if it doesn't fit I guess I'll be doing some drilling.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #8
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsphan View Post
Do the probes fit through the grommet that you can from Cajun bandit? Also, how far does it transmit?
Yes the probes fit thru the grommets on my Cajun Bandit.

Range is ok, of course it depends on how many walls and such. I just switched from an Iphone to a Samsung Galaxy and haven't had a chance to use it with it yet.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #9
redwingsphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'ville Grill View Post
Yes the probes fit thru the grommets on my Cajun Bandit.

Range is ok, of course it depends on how many walls and such. I just switched from an Iphone to a Samsung Galaxy and haven't had a chance to use it with it yet.
Thanks. That makes me feel better since I already have the grommets and didn't really want to drill it.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #10
redwingsphan

FYI this one is a little cheaper and there is free shipping.
http://m.att.com/shopmobile/wireless...html?referrer=

Old 07-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #11
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Been using one for over a year. First, I find the temps to be spot-on with all my other thermometers. Really like the graphical look and the ability to label and set upper and lower alarms on both probes. The ambient temp probe has a useful grate clip. I also us the data file export feature to send data to and excel spreadsheet to keep as part of my cooking log. I've pretty much changed to H&F cooks, but when I was doing overnights I would park my pit about 75-100ft away from my recliner in the TV room (through trees, walls windows, etc.) and had good bluetooth reception on my iPad and the alarms let me get 1-2 hour naps between feeding the fire in my RF stickburner. One negative: I've noticed that switching linked devices can be a PITA. I usually use me iPad, but when I want to use my iPhone instead I find I have to "reset" the whole thing so it will recognize the iPhone (it wants to keep finding the iPad). I would by another one.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #12
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4vant View Post
The alarms are great, especially the ability to set hi-low range on one,, and meat temp on the other
At least on mine I can set upper and lower alarm on both probes. I go into the setup to identify and label each probe with my own "preset" and choose the "range" option. For example I'll put the ambient probe in location #1, label it "Smoker" and set high and low ranges +/-25* above and below my target temp. Then I'll use location 2 for the product and, for example, label it Brisket and similarly set low and high alarms.
PS: if you want it will interface with your music playlist on your iOS (probably Android too) and play selected music for your alarm. I use Hendrix "A Along the Watchtower" for my high temp alarms; it will wake the dead from a beer slumber (me).

Old 07-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #13
S4vant
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
At least on mine I can set upper and lower alarm on both probes. I go into the setup to identify and label each probe with my own "preset" and choose the "range" option.
Yeah, mine does too, I was just saying you can set upper/lower range alarms or just a target temp alarm.