MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:39 AM   #1
beertender55
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default opening day of pheasant

So here in NY opening day of pheasant season started today. My 1 year old black lab put on a great showing and me and 2 friends all got are limit. Anyhow, was looking for some ideas on how to smoke/bbq a couple of them for a change. Never done it before, not sure why, dont think i ever thought about it, but im ready to give it a try.
beertender55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

not sure, but i would guess that wild game will be pretty tough since it is so lean. i am just thinking that it would end up really dry so i would suggest if you are going to do it to start with a brine or injection. maybe wrap the sucker up in bacon to help baste it while it cooks.

i never knew NY had pheasants, considering how many easterners come here for pheasant hunting i was surprised to read your post.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
milehigh
is One Chatty Farker

Congrats on the hunting and good for your pooch! Who says labs are just water dogs? As you know, pheasant can be very dry. While asking for brine advice a few years back, i ended up with this recipe advice. I always do pheasant this way now.

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...8110183&cdra=Y

Old 10-01-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Glad ya came by here to share the news of the first hunt. Way to go.
Looking forward to learning how these came out!
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
Big_T_BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Boo (pheasant doesn't start here till late Nov) and Congrats - I'm also interested to see how smoking turns out. Last year a friend of mine deep fried them in a turkey fryer and said they came out great.
Big_T_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote