MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:16 AM   #1
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance
Default KCBS Membership -> contests

I've been reading but cannot find this addressed anywhere, so I pose
the questions to you guys:

1. Do you have to be a member of KCBS to participate in a cookoff?

2. If not, when/why do you need to be a member of KCBS?

Sorry for such simple questions.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

1. No

2. Sometimes contests do offer reduced entry for KCBS members. Although not many do where I am from. When you become a judge I believe your fee includes a one year membership. Becoming a member entitles you to certain discounts negotiated by the KCBS. It also helps KCBS to function and assure contest performance under its sanctioning. I think it is required for a team to compete in the TOY as well but not definite.

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

If I expect to benefit from a system, I should do what I can to support that system. For me, that means being a KCBS member, participating and offering feedback.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
Lake Dogs

Diva, Agreed. However, being a member of MIM, MBA, GBA, CASI and ICBS, I'm honestly just about membership'd out... As we'll probably only participate in 3, maybe
4 KCBS cookoffs, it would be nice to save a dollar or two...

Old 08-25-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
Lake Dogs

That, and I'm about magazine/newspaper'd out too. We get MULTIPLE copies of the damned Terlingua Trails monthly. They go immediately to the bottom of the hampster
cage or to the garbage can. It would be nice to save a few cubic feet of county dump
space...

Anyway, thanks guys (no gender implied)! That's what I wanted to know.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
That, and I'm about magazine/newspaper'd out too. We get MULTIPLE copies of the damned Terlingua Trails monthly. They go immediately to the bottom of the hampster
cage or to the garbage can. It would be nice to save a few cubic feet of county dump
space...
Simple - cancel one of the subscriptions and put it towards KCBS membership. At least you get something other than hampster cage liner for your $35.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2009, 12:24 PM   #7
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Diva, Agreed. However, being a member of MIM, MBA, GBA, CASI and ICBS, I'm honestly just about membership'd out... As we'll probably only participate in 3, maybe
4 KCBS cookoffs, it would be nice to save a dollar or two...
I can tell you that my KCBS membership has paid for itself, simply by taking advantage of the hotel discount available from Choice Hotels. If you spend a couple of nights in any of their hotels over the course of a year your membership more than pays for itself.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2009, 12:30 PM   #8
Lake Dogs

Afraid I HAVE to be a CASI member; being an officer of the local Pod & all... Just dont
need their newpapers... It's very... 1975. It does make very good hampster cage
linings though. Hampsters LOVE it.

I'm also a member of other *crap* (personal opinion) with many discounts, plus I'd always come in an RV, so hotel discounts aren't particularly appealing...

Thanks folks! <--- trying to not use guys with an implied gender

-The Dawg

Old 08-25-2009, 02:16 PM   #9
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

I don't think you'd need to use the hotel discount at a barbeque competition in order to take advantage of that benefit of membership. You might use it in a situation where you need to fly somewhere and need a hotel at that location.

I think, however, that the most important benefit of membership is the ability to vote in the Board of Director elections. I enjoy being able to help choose the people that lead this organization.
Vince RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2009, 02:51 PM   #10
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Another advantage to being a member is the ability to bi&#37;$h about the organization and try to do something in support of your views or desires. If you're not a member, don't comment on rules, organization, methodology, etc.

It's always best to be part of the solution instead of part of the problem.

I actually enjoy my CASI paper as well as my Bull Sheet and don't even own a hamster.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2009, 10:36 PM   #11
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I've been reading but cannot find this addressed anywhere, so I pose
the questions to you guys:

1. Do you have to be a member of KCBS to participate in a cookoff?

2. If not, when/why do you need to be a member of KCBS?

Sorry for such simple questions.

1. No.

2. When you find the answer to that let me know.
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2009, 06:53 AM   #12
Lake Dogs

I didnt mean to ruffle feathers with the 2nd question. I posed it very open so as not
to mislead, and in doing so ended up misleading... My fault; my appologies.

As a team, we'd like to participate, hopefully win something now & again, perhaps accumulate points, and perhaps be invited to an invitational. If all this can be done by
participating and not being a member, then honestly I'll not be a member. Right now
I dont know enough about KCBS and the movers and shakers to have an opinion that's
worth a damn. The discounts, while nice, honestly I'm one of those guys that's never
used the ones that I have... I agree with Diva's first comment that if you're going
to derive benefit from an organization, if nothing else it's good to be a paid member to
support it. I understand, and if not personally suffering from membership overload, I'd
already be a member of KCBS. We'll see how it goes. KCBS is really just getting a
foothold here in Georgia. We (the state) seem to be an open battlefield for FBA, the
newly formed GBA, KCBS, and we're pretty solid in our MIM/MBA cookoffs. What I'm
seeing are new KCBS cookoffs and a few MIM/MBA are considering changes as it's
really tough to compete like this having to cook 11+- ribs, a whole hog, and 3 or 4
shoulders. Takes 2 LARGE cookers to be effective, and not many of us have 2 of that
size, nor do we have the capacity to trailer all of them... MIM/MBA seems to be
*sliding*.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:25 PM   #13
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
KCBS is really just getting a foothold here in Georgia. We (the state) seem to be an open battlefield for FBA, the newly formed GBA, KCBS, and we're pretty solid in our MIM/MBA cookoffs.
I'm going to have to disagree with you there. While it is true that MIM has the longest history in our state, KCBS has had a state championship in Dillard for 13 years. The Cartersville and Covington shows are both over 5 years old, and contests like Canton, Columbus, Young Harris, Waynesboro and Kennesaw are going strong.

GBA is in their first year of real sanctioning and the verdict is still out as to whether or not they make it long term. FBA is the only real contender right now for KCBS, but FBA has not been very successful sanctioning contests in the northern half of the state.

I think it would be fair to say that the state of Georgia is functionally TWO different states: the southern half where FBA, MBN and GBA sanction nearly all the BBQ contests and the northern half where KCBS rules.

When you draw a circle around your house it becomes clear why the regions are divided as they are. It's much easier for a cook team in south Georgia to drive to events in north Florida or south Alabama than it is to go above Atlanta, just as teams up here tend to go to north Alabama or middle Tennessee if they have that choice.

As for my own team, we keep saying that we want to try an FBA or MBN contest, but the ones that are closest to us always seem to fall on the same weekend as a KCBS show we cook that is closer. Still, I am a member of both KCBS and FBA because I believe that the small cost of membership is worth it to promote competition barbecue, and I enjoy reading the Bullsheet and National Barbecue News each month.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2009, 01:42 PM   #14
Lake Dogs

CivilWar, that's probably fair. However, KCBS is getting a foothold here in the
center and towards the south of the state; slowly but surely... The MBN contests
seem to be falling back. I'm a certified judge there, and frankly, it's just too
expensive for me to compete. I'd need another $3000 cooker (in addition to the
one I have) to do whole hog properly. Then there's 11+- ribs, 4+- whole shoulders,
and lets not even think about the on-site! Ugh... Need a bigger team. Most
of the better MIM/MBN teams have guys that cook and another whole team of folks
that present... From what I've seen, they're falling back. Pretty much down to
Milledgeville and Big Pig Jig. Milledgeville is getting pressure to KCBS, GBA, or FBA...

Hope to see you on the road somewhere. Coming to Oconee in September?

Old 08-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #15
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

I wish I was doing Oconee. Unfortunately it falls on the same date as a local chili contest that I agreed to act as cook coordinator for. However, my teammate Warren should be there, cooking with Big Jim's Bareknuckles team. Just look for the bald guy next to the human mountain!

If you've cooked a GBA show, I'd like to talk to you about it. I love the idea of a state organization, but the GBA seems to have been a little flaky on start-up and I'm having a hard time getting my head around their meat categories.

-gf

Gowan Fenley
Johnny Mitchell's Smokehouse
Euharlee, GA
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote