MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:45 AM   #5161
BadHorsieBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Good I have free access to quite large stash oak and mesquite. i will go and retrieve some on my way to work and do my burn tomorrow night.
BadHorsieBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 09:59 AM   #5162
Draven Q Smoker
Found some matches.

Haven't been around in a while, but I've got my second cook going right now. Two butts and a brisket over hickory with mesquite chips.
Draven Q Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 10:28 AM   #5163
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubster View Post
Except mine goes up the side (another big belly mod). I dont think i have quite enough exhaust on that one to get the proper draft.
What you will find with UDS builds is that you don't have enough air flow at low temps to allow draft action like on a fireplace etc. A UDS is a demonstration of convection with an air exchange. That's why some builds just have a bunch of 1/2" holes around the lid and work fine. A stack on the UDS is all cosmetic and this can be proven by stabilizing a UDS at temp and then unscrewing or removing the stack- no decrease in temp of the UDS. I have had as much as 12' of 6" exhaust with no effect.
I have experimented with the high intake and found two things.
Every 90 bend and length of pipe requires more diameter to achieve the same airflow at the bottom of the barrel. While not scientific in my approach I found that a 1" intake hole flowed the same as an extended 1 1/2" intake with a 90 and 20" of pipe.
The 2nd thing I found was that the closer I raised the intake opening to the top edge(lid) of the barrel, the more difficult it was to control the temp or make minor adjustments. Also, I found that gusting breezes caused me heartburn. A finickety barrel is no fun.
From all of my experimenting I now go with a 2" ID exhaust and a 2" intake with my favorite control being the Primo or BGE slider style system. The next one I do will be a BGE slide turned 90 degrees and attach a control cable (lawnmower throttle) to the top of the barrel ala fat man mode. The guys with their little pipes hanging out around the barrel are novice builders who have something that may work but they don't know why. It was interesting to see Myrons intake on his trash can and I'm sure this will catch on like his muff tins. The reason he has this single intake is because it works and he has had the boys experiment to find this.
Back to work LOL...
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #5164
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHorsieBBQ View Post
Good I have free access to quite large stash oak and mesquite. i will go and retrieve some on my way to work and do my burn tomorrow night.
Adding air from an air compressor or a vacuum is fun. I have a 3' steel extension on my blowgun and I stick that in the intake. It is easy to "rosey up" any stubborn spots. Oh hell- its just fun!! Many times the burn leaves the bottom untouched. Make sure you get to it while you have the fire going.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #5165
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I just finished building a new charcoal basket from 3/4" x #9 expanded metal .
The grate is an 18 1/2" WSM charcoal grate with three 1 1/2" x 1/2 bolt legs.
Neither basket is attached. They both sit on the grate between the bolts and the outer ring.

For shorter cooks I use the 4 3/4" high charcoal ring from the WSM.

For longer cooks I will use the 8 1/4" high expanded metal version.

The original post of the build is #5041

For anyone interested there is also separate thread on this build
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=78156

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle

Last edited by HeSmellsLikeSmoke; 02-18-2010 at 04:12 PM..
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 03:11 PM   #5166
NoviceBBQmovinUp
Knows what a fatty is.

New to the build and i am about 80% done with gathering up all the parts i need. But have a few problems. Yes i have read the entire thread.

1. I bought a long stem thermometer from WalMart and tested the accuracy. its way off. So i know alot of you like a particular long stem thermometer can someone let me know where i can get one, i live in AZ so it might have to be an online order.

2. I am going to do the magnet route, i want to drill three holes, where one will be a ball valve, for the two holes that will be covered by magnets i cant decide between 1 inch holes or 3/4 holes.

Hey thanks in advance everyone. Ill be posting pictures as soon as i get all my supplies and all questions i need answered.
NoviceBBQmovinUp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #5167
Draven Q Smoker
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviceBBQmovinUp View Post
New to the build and i am about 80% done with gathering up all the parts i need. But have a few problems. Yes i have read the entire thread.

1. I bought a long stem thermometer from WalMart and tested the accuracy. its way off. So i know alot of you like a particular long stem thermometer can someone let me know where i can get one, i live in AZ so it might have to be an online order.

2. I am going to do the magnet route, i want to drill three holes, where one will be a ball valve, for the two holes that will be covered by magnets i cant decide between 1 inch holes or 3/4 holes.
Congratulations on your first build. Finished mine in October, and I'm doing my second cook right now.

I bought my thermometer off of Amazon, I forget what the price was, but it's an actual barbeque thermometer. Works great.

I'd probably go with the 3/4 inch holes. When installing the nipples I used one inch nipples, which provides three-quarter inch intake.

Happy smoking!

Old 02-18-2010, 04:05 PM   #5168
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviceBBQmovinUp View Post
The 12" one is able to be re-calibrated.
http://www.teltru.com/s-44-food-service.aspx

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 06:03 PM   #5169
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven Q Smoker View Post
Congratulations on your first build. Finished mine in October, and I'm doing my second cook right now.

I bought my thermometer off of Amazon, I forget what the price was, but it's an actual barbeque thermometer. Works great.

I'd probably go with the 3/4 inch holes. When installing the nipples I used one inch nipples, which provides three-quarter inch intake.

Happy smoking!
It doesn't matter how big the hole is- it only matters how much is open. If you are doing Wi. winter smoking then you need more intake. I would do a 2" intake and cover it with a magnet. A 2" hole will allow you to reach in(with a poker) and give your basket a shake in those overnight smokes without opening the lid. It should also allow you to do pizza at high heats. The Walmart thermos are secured by a nut. Turn the round part until you have the proper 212 degrees. Double check it at room temp.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:05 PM   #5170
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

I can get some brand new 55 gallon drums, that have a removable lid for 40 bucks. How much more would it cost to build my own??

Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 08:06 PM   #5171
Draven Q Smoker
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20loo View Post
It doesn't matter how big the hole is- it only matters how much is open. If you are doing Wi. winter smoking then you need more intake. I would do a 2" intake and cover it with a magnet. A 2" hole will allow you to reach in(with a poker) and give your basket a shake in those overnight smokes without opening the lid. It should also allow you to do pizza at high heats. The Walmart thermos are secured by a nut. Turn the round part until you have the proper 212 degrees. Double check it at room temp.
*shrug* I was just sharing what works for me.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:13 PM   #5172
Draven Q Smoker
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20loo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBully View Post
I can get some brand new 55 gallon drums, that have a removable lid for 40 bucks. How much more would it cost to build my own??

Depends. When I built mine, I had to buy all the tools (hole saw, various drill bits and whatnot). It also depends on whether or not you're cannibalizing other parts (I also bought the grates) or can get things either cheaply or free.. The hardware itself? A lot also depends on what design you'll be using. Some make the holes and use magnets, others use nipples, caps, and a ball-valve.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:11 PM   #5173
sdb25
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBully View Post

Try this guy instead. Only $15 dollars and you get a choice of color.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...604438483.html

Old 02-18-2010, 11:03 PM   #5174
dubster
Got Wood.

And here is a pic of my new drum. this is the only pic as when assembly was done i used the too much beer mod

Last edited by dubster; 02-28-2010 at 08:30 PM..
dubster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 11:06 PM   #5175
Boshizzle

Nice UDS build, dubster!

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker