Looks like we got Kingsford's attention

W

Wildcat

I was over at the Virtual Weber Bulletin Board and saw this at the end of the Kingsford thread. Page 8 of the thread I think.

Seems they want to know just how we cook "low and slow" so they can study their new stuff our way. So they emailed one of the guys and asked him to help them.

Hope it's ok to post this link to the thread.

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/1780069052/m/2860059793/p/8

Maybe now something will get done for the "low and slow" guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
KIngsford... is asking.... how to lo-slo.... that's mind bogglin....

what about all their "We are the charcoal of que champions" commercials... wtf ??

what about all their "personal experiences" letters , with their own BBQ ,when they replied to consumer inquires???

That's scary for a corporation to be so in the dark when they sell a product .... they need to get out more, amongst the masses..

Has Coporate Ivory Tower written all over it ..

If it's true:confused: that they could be so unaware, uninformed, and uneducated about lo-slo

I they were serious about charcoal, they wouldn't even make briquettes!!!!
Now that is just MYopinion and I don't know Jack. Gonna try the BBs again today in the RAIN.
PARTY!!!!!
Smoke On!!!! All of you BBQ Dogs $ dogettes.
ee

Could be a marketing angle to show where their new product can be sued when used "correctly" there by convincing one of the group to go and spread the word about how good it is when used "this way". Just a thought. Scott

All I know is I'm looking forward to using a bag of DuraFlame hardwood briquets that a friend gave me last night at the NKC Contest. It's the upper grade of charcoal and from what I was told produces very little ash and has no fillers like Kingsford. If I like that, I'm going to do whatever it takes to get in to KC and use that. This news from Kingsford actually angers me more than anything simply because like Bobberquer said... they claimed in all the replies to complaints that they had all this personal experience with low and slow and they knew their product was just as good as the old for that type of cooking. Well, Kingsford, which is it? Geez!

Has anyone seen any real testing of the new K used in our cooking profile (whatever that is)?

Or, is this aversion based on resistance to change without empirical data?
If I can find some, I am going to cook a couple or more loads with it and see how it works.

Just curious.

TIM

Tim I can't remember who it was but one of the brothers here has used it and posted that it was crap. Although I believe someone else posted and said there seemed to be no difference.

The_Kapn said:
Has anyone seen any real testing of the new K used in our cooking profile (whatever that is)?

Or, is this aversion based on resistance to change without empirical data?
If I can find some, I am going to cook a couple or more loads with it and see how it works.

Just curious.

TIM

I have used it to grill some pork, a few steaks, chicken breasts for fajitas, and some sausage. I didn't like it even for grilling. Maybe because it was new. It did burn hotter, observation which WAS NOT empirical was that it cooled off quicker. I was grilling some stuff to freeze and share with a few other people. I ended the cook adding more wood than normal to get the heat I needed to finish the chicken.

Never was a problem before with the old version, and the chicken was saved for the end of a long grilling session because I'd spread the coal bed by then to even out the temps and get the most use of the available grill space to do as much chicken as possible.

Sounds a little fishy, oh wait......i just got an email from Rich Davis, he wants us give him info and research as to a new sauce that can last a cooking process without drying or burning

I am sure that the New Kingsford was a product designed to save them money in Mfg costs, raw materials etc. I doubt that they would attempt to make a better product with their huge share of the market. It just does not make business sense. As we all know, the majority of the charcoal market is weekend grillers. I bet they are just throwing a bone to us "low and slow" BBQ'ers because the marketing guys are detecting a ripple in the market due to the disatisfaction of us "low and slow" BBQ'ers with the New Kingsford.

Clorox does own kingsford. Interesting, huh?

Clorox owns Kingsford. Go to:

http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/products/index.html

I'm afraid it's all corporate now. As others have said, they aren't going to make changes unless it increases there profit.

We have some local lump available in SE Wis, so I'm going to try that and look at getting a better wood supply.

Bobberqeer said:
KIngsford... is asking.... how to lo-slo.... that's mind bogglin....

what about all their "We are the charcoal of que champions" commercials... wtf ??

what about all their "personal experiences" letters , with their own BBQ ,when they replied to consumer inquires???

That's scary for a corporation to be so in the dark when they sell a product .... they need to get out more, amongst the masses..

Has Coporate Ivory Tower written all over it ..

If it's true:confused: that they could be so unaware, uninformed, and uneducated about lo-slo

Bigmista said:
Clorox does own kingsford. Interesting, huh?

That should clear up Bobberqeer post.
Clorox probably doesn't know "jack" about what the public likes.

For folks willing to use lump -- "best choice" (distributed in many Price Chopper, Safeway, Hen house, etc stores in the midwest) It is a store/private brand of lump.... but great quality, and inexpensive. I usually have several bags on hand at contests, if anyone wants to try some. None of that "Cowboy" brand issues.... like finding pieces of tongue and groove or other charred build site crud.

Kaw Valley Materials also sells a Canadian 100% sugar maple briquette - they burn too hot for my taste, but I see alot of folks moving to them. Just another thought...

Back