• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Beef Stew

caliking

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Had a hankering for beef stew, so I figured I would scratch that itch.

I found this recipe and decided to give it a go. Started out by marinating 2 ribeyes that I've had in the freezer for some time, in red wine, with garlic and bay leaves . I know - its daft to put ribeyes in stew, but we have been eating healthier and a solid hunka steak just doesn't have the same appeal that it used to.

IMAG1675_zps141f78c3.jpg

Meat marinated overnight. The next day (Sat) I fired up the large egg with a chunk of pecan for smoke. Once it hit 300°F, I put the dutch oven on and let it warm up. Added some of the trimmed fat from the ribeyes to get some beefy goodness going, then added the onions, celery, green onions, and some seasoning.
IMAG1679_zps2fa8b3b7.jpg

IMAG1681_zpsea595c12.jpg

Threw in carrots, potatoes, garlic and Simply Marvelous Season All. Also had diced jalapenos catching some smoke on the side.
IMAG1683_zpsa8424d2f.jpg

Once everything in the pot had a chance to get friendly, I added mushrooms, the jalapenos, tomato paste and 2 cups of beef stock.
IMAG1684_zps04f0913a.jpg

Placed the grid from the small egg over the DO for the steaks, and let them smoke (rubbed with SM Season All) for 40mins.
IMAG1687_zps7bf494e4.jpg

Cut the steaks up and added to the pot. Let it all simmer for another hour.
IMAG1689_zps7832cd5b.jpg

Served with toasted oat-wheat bread that my wife made. We are trying to make more homemade bread.
IMAG1692_zps7a35b576.jpg

Damn fine dinner... perfect for a cold March night in Houston

Looks so good!! Those ribeyes must have melted in your mouth! :thumb:

I'd be crying putting rib eye into beef stew, but I'll bet that's the best beef stew anybody ever tasted. Yes, please. I'd take a bowl of that, absolutely! :hungry:

You aren't fooling me calking!
I can see the dryness, plus, my big brother (rip) used to use steak like that to make bolognaise sauce...lean cuts just aren't made for that.
But, can I have a bowl too, just to be sure?

I can see the dryness, plus, my big brother (rip) used to use steak like that to make bolognaise sauce...lean cuts just aren't made for that.

I'm with you. Rough cuts slow cooking best for stew!
John

Good lookin' pot of stew right there, cooking the meat right over the pot...great idea!

KC

Must give credit where it is due - I saw that done first time when Phubar smoked meatballs over a pot of sauce a while back.

I'm with you. Rough cuts slow cooking best for stew!
John

Man, the Aussies are a tough crowd to play to these days :grin:

It was the best beef stew I have had - not because of the meat but because it had cumin, loads of garlic and jalapenos in it... and it was the first one I have made myself. You're probably right that a fattier cut would have been more tender. But the steaks are what I needed to clear out of the fridge, so in they went! Had some with grits for breakfast today and it tasted even better (couldn't taste the smoke the day I cooked it).

Since it got below freezing here last night (after temps in the 80s last week) a big bowl of stew sounds mighty good right now. Mighty tasty lookin' stew there!

Back