BBQ sauce

Garth57

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Any recipes out there for a semi spicey sauce? I've been tasting BigMista's and it is pretty darn good. I would like to see about coming up with one and making some tweaks of my own, and I don't want to steal his.

Go get tow or three bought brands and start mixing, add a dash of this a bit of that until it has the flavor profile you want then call it your own. :) Scott

I made this recipe from the Serious Eats blog this past weekend. It was good - not great - but with some tinkering could potentially be a great sauce.

Bacon Chipotle Slather Sauce

- makes about 4 cups -
This recipe makes enough sauce for all of your June and July grilled goods. Or you can portion it out and freeze some to stretch it.
Ingredients

2 pieces thick-cut bacon, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
4 large shallots, chopped
4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/4 cup malt vinegar
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 can (28-ounce) crushed tomatoes
1 rehydrated, dried chipotle or chipotle en adobo sauce, seeded (leave the seeds in if you want to add serious heat to the sauce)
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
Procedure

1. Add the bacon pieces to a hot Dutch oven or wide saucepot over medium heat. Render the bacon until it’s crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the shallots and garlic and sweat them in the bacon fat with the bacon bits for 5 more minutes.
2. Add the brown sugar and tomato paste, stirring until both melt into the ingredients. Add the vinegar, water, molasses, mustard, Worcestershire, tomatoes and chipotle and stir to combine.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Let cool slightly and then transfer to a blender or food processor. Process until smooth. Use immediately or refrigerate until ready to use.

Best of the Cookshack Recipes

Check out the CookShack forum, look under the Best of the Cookshack thread, then down load the 94 page word doc with some great recipes.

Buy a couple of Q books, it will give you ideas.

^^^ What he said. I have several books, found I recipe that I like, and tweaked it a bit to make it better. I got it to where I like it, and that's the one I stick with now. And beer makes every sauce better.:wink: Edit: good beer.

I know this has been brought up before but since this is about recipes....what books would you suggest for solid Q recipes...both sauces and rubs.

I know this has been brought up before but since this is about recipes....what books would you suggest for solid Q recipes...both sauces and rubs.
My top 3 are the BBQ Bible
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=barbecuebibleonl&path=tg/detail/-/0761149430
Reichlin's book on Sauces and Rubs
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=barbecuebibleonl&path=tg/detail/-/0761119795
and Smoky Hale's book
http://www.amazon.com/Great-American-Barbecue-Grilling-Manual/dp/0936171022

Back