Jumping in with both left feet

Stacks

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
This morning I decided on a team name (finally) and got it registered with KCBS, then sent my entry form to compete in Smokin on the Summit in Lee's Summit Missouri this June. My ultimate goal is to NOT finish last:pray:
This is either a really good idea, or a really bad one...

Congrats! Ultimately, it's a good idea, but I guarantee that there will be times when you will regret the decision :-D

I think you have a good goal. i would also add into the getting everything turned in on time and no DQs. Anything more than that is gravy!

This morning I decided on a team name (finally) and got it registered with KCBS, then sent my entry form to compete in Smokin on the Summit in Lee's Summit Missouri this June. My ultimate goal is to NOT finish last:pray:
This is either a really good idea, or a really bad one...

Congrats! I really wanted to enter this one as the first real contest for my fledling team as well, but the $250 entry fee changed my mind. I'll be wearing my CBJ hat that day instead. Good luck and have fun!

^^^ Welcome, and good luck. Break a leg. Yep, try to not finish DAL, and learn
from your mistakes (you'll make them, I promise), and really really try to enjoy it
as much as possible.

Congrats! I really wanted to enter this one as the first real contest for my fledling team as well, but the $250 entry fee changed my mind. I'll be wearing my CBJ hat that day instead. Good luck and have fun!

Thanks Bover. The early bird entry fee was $200. I thought that was a little steep but I have family in LS to help me out.
See you there.

Thanks Bover. The early bird entry fee was $200. I thought that was a little steep but I have family in LS to help me out.
See you there.

That's a pretty typical entry fee around here. I just filled out 5 applications and the entry fees ranges from $195 to $275.

As someone that competed in their first competition last season, my only advice is: BE PREPARED!
This means creating checklists and timelines. Create your checklist for supplies and your timeline for turn-ins and do a practice run in your backyard and use your checklist and timeline. If you have to go into the house for anything, make sure you add it to your checklist. If you fall behind in schedule, modify your timeline.
Good Luck to you!

I'm doing the same thing Stacks and my first comp is in two weeks. I just don't wanna finish last. Good Luck to you and have fun. BTW.. It's already getting to me a little bit, last night I had a dream that I didn't have enough pork to turn in because someone ate it and my scores for taste were low. I'm having nightmares about this stuff and haven't even competed yet:laugh:. It's all about the fun anyway... just another hobby.

I'm doing the same thing Stacks and my first comp is in two weeks. I just don't wanna finish last. Good Luck to you and have fun. BTW.. It's already getting to me a little bit, last night I had a dream that I didn't have enough pork to turn in because someone ate it and my scores for taste were low. I'm having nightmares about this stuff and haven't even competed yet:laugh:. It's all about the fun anyway... just another hobby.

I've been having the same kind of dreams, only mine are all about holding temps and missing timelines. Anchors Smokeshop gave some good advice about doing a practice run. I will have to do that so I can get some sleep:rolleyes:.
It is about having fun. Good luck to you. I'd love to hear about it when you're done.

BTW.. It's already getting to me a little bit, last night I had a dream that I didn't have enough pork to turn in because someone ate it and my scores for taste were low.

Now THAT's funny! Wait until the "go to the cooks meeting in your underwear" dreams start :becky: :shocked:

One thing that a lot of us tell new competitors is to do a mock competition in your driveway or yard, and keep careful track of anything that you have to run into the house to get and add it to your checklist.

Also, don't be afraid to ask your neighbors at the comp if you are unsure of something or forget something. Everyone around you was a fist-timer at some point, and most of them will gladly help! If the reps as k first time teams to raise their hands at the cooks meeting, do it, and it he asks for volunteers to help out the first time teams, notice who they are and take advantage of their generosity. It is a great learning experience.

The most important thing is to have fun Dont be afraid to ask questions Just about anyone at a comp will be glad to help you and offer advise.

I'm doing the same in about 2 months. As many have recommended I did a practice run and learned alot. Plan to do another with the modifications I have made to my time lines. Good luck to you and lets us know how it turns out. keith

I've actually seen a fairly new team that made finals in an MBN competition.
4 judges showed up for the 2nd pass; they'd partied after the initial turn ins
and been entertaining. The pork was gone.

Have fun and you're not alone! I did my first comp after having my first smoker for less than 2 months and went in the pro div. I have a ton to learn but it was fun and the fact is that most of the other teams are filled with great people that are more than willing to help you.

Enjoy! You get to go to a bbq comp!

Somethin my good friend Buzz always reminds me is to have a good time and throw the score card away afterwards. Not that it helps.This will be our 4th season and we do a few more each year.And that entry fee aint nothin compared to what you will start buying after ya do a few comps ....

Good suggestions - especially about practice, timelines, checklists and mock-runs. I di my first comp last summer. The only thing I can add is while practicing: keep a cooklog of all your cooks to remember what you did the last time.

Congrats! We were in the same boat as you a couple years ago when we did our first contest. It is intimidating at the beginning but then you realize that the entire bbq community is a great group to hang out with. I would definitely have a detailed time plan for all 4 meats. It takes some of the stress off on Saturday mid morning to have a plan. I would also recommend taking a practice run at creating a turn in box. Our first attempt was about 30 minutes before our first turn in and we were looking at each other like.......what in the hell do we do now? :)

Back