MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:49 PM   #16
MushCreek
Full Fledged Farker

Don't zoom in the welding, please! I don't have gas for my MIG yet, so I had to use cored wire- yuck! At least the basket doesn't show (except here). I'm a toolmaker by trade, and we only like to make things once, and build them to last. I spent a lot of time thinking about it, and reading great stuff here from The Brethren.

True, I only have three holes, but they're 1-1/4", which is bigger than normal. I have an idea cooking for the throttle, and now I have to figure out a clean way to block the other two. The fire started out at 425, and I think I could have kept that up with a full shot of coal. I only used a chimney-full- the basket was about 1/3 of capacity.

With the price of the drum and the lid, plus all of the bling and a couple Weber grates, I'll probably have close to $200 in it- kind of spendy for a home made, but it should last forever.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:14 PM   #17
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
The fire started out at 425, and I think I could have kept that up with a full shot of coal. I only used a chimney-full- the basket was about 1/3 of capacity.

With the price of the drum and the lid, plus all of the bling and a couple Weber grates, I'll probably have close to $200 in it- kind of spendy for a home made, but it should last forever.
That should be fine it's hard to tell the size.

$200 bucks doesn't seem bad at all. Go to the BDS page and check out the price for the stainless model.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:18 PM   #18
Bushwacker
is one Smokin' Farker

That's a great looking build you got going on there. i like the U-bolt idea. Where did you score the SS Barrel? Can you get any more??...
UDS (Under Construction)
Bushwacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #19
MushCreek
Full Fledged Farker

Found the drum on craigs- he only had the one. I left work in the middle of the day to go get it!

Old 10-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #20
N8man
Babbling Farker

That's an inspired build!!! Outstanding!!!

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #21
biggs98
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
Found the drum on craigs- he only had the one. I left work in the middle of the day to go get it!
I would've too....Nice Score!!!
[B][COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Yellow"]Joe[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] - [B][U][COLOR="DarkOrange"][COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Black"]CHUBBY HUBBY BBQ - [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/U][/B] [B][COLOR="Black"]Humphreys[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="black"][COLOR="Yellow"]Pint[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] / STAINLESS UDS(Build in Progress)/2 UDS /1 WSM / Weber Gasser/ 22.5 Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36/ The Absolute Fastest Super Fast [B][U][B][I]BLACK[/I][/B][/U][/B] Thermapen[COLOR="Black"][/COLOR]
biggs98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #22
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Not trying to hijack Mush's thread but I got mine for $5.00.

I guess we were both just lucky and in the right place at the right time. Mine came from a garage sale. I did a little better in the final price at only $135. I was curious on whether Arcticproducts was getting any business from my initial order and my subsiquent passing along the info to you all. Here is their response:

Thanks so much for the picture! We have gotten a few inquiries lately about our lid. THANKS!! Enjoy your BBQ! Pam Customer Service Arctic Products -----Original Message----- From: [email protected] [[email protected]] Sent: Sunday, October 11, 200910:56 AMTo: [email protected] Subject: Stainless steel lids I recently purchased a lid from you fine folks. Said I would send a pic of its use. Well here it is: See attachement. Paul Brannan P.S. Have you gotten any orders from other bbq'ers???? Just curious, because a bunch of them have asked where I got mine.

Good looking build Mush.....

Paul B
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #23
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Nice! They should give you one for half price for "drumming" up business.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #24
MushCreek
Full Fledged Farker

Paul's incredible drum is the inspiration for my build. I'll have to send Arctic a pic of mine too. I just hope it doesn't go to their head and they jack up the price on us! Stay tuned over the next couple weeks- I have some more custom touches in mind....

Old 10-12-2009, 05:37 PM   #25
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Very nice build with some creative ideas!

Wish I had some of the skills you guys have - I'll have to take a welding class one of these days.
SoCalWJS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2009, 08:54 PM   #26
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice job! It should last you a lifetime.

And its so good to see that you didn't fark it up and use Ball valves on it!!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2009, 04:40 AM   #27
Papa Payne
is one Smokin' Farker

Very nice build and great ideas on the basket!!

Old 10-13-2009, 09:10 AM   #28
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

cool. that 1 w/ the silver lid looks like the tinman from the wiz of oz.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:07 AM   #29
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Man, that is freakin' sweet!! Love the fire basket/u-bolt combination. The ability to raise the fire basket...genius!! Happy Cooking!
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #30
vr6Cop
is One Chatty Farker

Nice build Mush.

Paul B - I really like the sliding door lower vent. It reminds me of my egg.
Jere Baxter-Edgefield Lodge 254 F&AM
vr6Cop is offline   Reply With Quote