MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
Procrustes
Found some matches.

Default Reverse flow Double Barrel Smoker?

Well after cooking out of a WSM for the past few years I'm looking to increase my cooking capacity by building a double barrel smoker based on the popular "Big Baby" build. I'm still in the planning stages and I'm considering altering it to make it a reverse flow setup by running only one flue and adding a baffle plate to force the heat and smoke down the cooking chamber and back across the cooking grates to a single chimney. I know traditionally the double barrel setup isn't designed this way but I like the theory of the Lang-style cookers and I can't see why it wouldn't work on a smaller scale. That said, has anybody built one with this idea in mind?
Procrustes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

The short answer: yes and no.
Yes built one years ago. Revised it three times, and didn't reverse flow.

Building using one flue between the barrels will not produce enough airflow and maintain temps high enough. Have tried using one flue barely able to reach 200 degrees. Learned that the hard way. Had to tear down and install a second flue. Added a difusser plate inside the upper barrel to even the temps. The smoker only lasted one season.

Here's the history of that drawn out tale.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=40020
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=45656
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=46215

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
Procrustes
Found some matches.

Thanks for the heads up! Do the barrel smoker builds typically only last a season or two?
Procrustes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
BB-Kuhn
Take a breath!

I think he means that he just stopped using it after one season.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
gt1043
Got Wood.

Default Double Barrel Smoker

Per BBQ Bandit's comments...Voglezang sells the needed hardware. Friend built one with connecting stack on each end...smokes great.
gt1043 is online now   Reply With Quote