• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Got on it and got it done. It's my first one, so I'm not very worried about fancy paint...yet. Giving it a test fire to tonight! Excited! Mostly because I have two slabs of babies and a few pounds of thighs to put in that puppy tomorrow!

Good looking build as it stands now.:clap2:

Greetings from Sweden!
Recently built my first UDS and it is a great cook! Thanks for all the information available on this forum, just fantastic. I went for a dome configuration with adjustable shelfs. Had a lot of problems sorting the parts, expanded metal and the drum in particular.
But now it's done and I love it like a pet.
On the to do list is a respray with heat resistant paint since the original paint on the bottom is flaking off, some shelfs on the outside, wheels and a temp controller PID-style.
For the moment though I'm very happy with it as is.
pic:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...W0/iJ-KRZfsOAU/s684-d/IMG_20140330_113048.jpg

Thanks! I built houses for a long time and am comfortable working with wood, but not so much with metal. I was worried about my welding skills to pull off a decent looking coals basket, but I limped through it. Now that I now what the heck I'm doing, I'm already planning my next one. I'm thinking a Packers or fire truck theme.

Thanks! I built houses for a long time and am comfortable working with wood, but not so much with metal. I was worried about my welding skills to pull off a decent looking coals basket, but I limped through it. Now that I now what the heck I'm doing, I'm already planning my next one. I'm thinking a Packers or fire truck theme.

Just realized I said I was comfortable working with wood.

Rookie move.

Got my uds built. I took it out for a seasoning/trial run and my temps were all over the place. I couldn't not get it down to 225. It would go up to 270 so I would close the ball valve some and then it would drop down to 215 or a little lower. I just can't seem to get it steady.

From your post, it sounds like you did not catch the temp on the way up. Bringing temps down is tougher than raising them, but very doable. Just a learning curve. How you start your coals is also a big part of the temps your planning on cooking on. You should plan on 30 minutes after making any adjustment to let it settle before doing another adjustment or you will be chasing temps.

When should I start closing my air intakes? I put about 6 pieces of charcoal on top of the basket and spread them out. I thought I read somewhere put them in the middle? Anymore wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks!

Are you using both the intake and exhaust for temp control? If so I recommend opening your exhaust all the way and controlling with just intakes. Good luck. Also I let mine slowly rise with very little intake using the minion method. Takes longer but seems to be perfectly stable.

Thanks for the information! I am using three air intakes in the bottom. One with a ball valve and the others are capped. They all are 3/4 inch. I have a 2 inch exhaust on top. The hole that was already there. I think I didn't not catch it on the way up. I will give a try to using less air at the beginning. I was trying to keep it around the 225 to 235 range. Thanks!

i've already posted this on my own thread, but figured I would be a part of the never ending thread too! Again, the tag is just a temporary hung by a magnet until I get the real tag I want.
here's mine:

Attachments

• UDS.jpg
    UDS.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 609
Hey fellas.

I found a local place that sells unlined drums.

I plan on walking in there with my Weber grate and lid to ensure they fit but I'd rater not sort through a bunch of drums to find the right one.

Any idea which 55gal drum I will be looking for?

They have open head, tight head, different bung options..

This is their site:

http://maxicontainer.com/steel-plastic-and-fiber-drums/steel-drums.html

Hey fellas.

I found a local place that sells unlined drums.

I plan on walking in there with my Weber grate and lid to ensure they fit but I'd rater not sort through a bunch of drums to find the right one.

Any idea which 55gal drum I will be looking for?

They have open head, tight head, different bung options..

This is their site:

http://maxicontainer.com/steel-plastic-and-fiber-drums/steel-drums.html

I would look for an open head drum. Any 55 gallon drum (open or closed head) will fit a weber rack. An open head drum will give you a built in lid and in my opinion a flat lid looks cooler. A closed head you will have to find a weber lid for or make your own. Depending on your fabrication skills and access to welders ect, you should probably look for an open head with a 2" bunghole in the lid. That will be your exhaust. Some guys cut their own exhaust holes but if the lid already has one built in I prefer to use it.

Thanks for the great advice, I'm looking to make this easy, pretty pressed for free time.

Thanks for the great advice, I'm looking to make this easy, pretty pressed for free time.

It can be made as easy or as complex as you choose. Get the open head with the bungholes in the lid and that will be the simplest drum to build with. Be sure you post pics.

Haha. I tend to over engineer everything so I'm just restricting myself.

I've read 75% of this thread and have about 30 of the most informative posts/links saved.

I want to document the build, but like I said, pressed for time.

I'll definitely have pictures when its finished.

I have a couple questions if anyone has ideas or opinions...

Isn't a diffuser vital for even cooking? I see most people don't have one so I assume it's not but it seems like there would be uneven heat distribution without one. The heat from the caracoles should be more concentrated directly under the charcoals.

Second, has anyone done any math on air flow vs. temperature? I wonder how large the exhaust should be compared to the intake for the best temperature regulation.

That would depend on outside temperature etc so I guess it's really complicated...

Haha. I tend to over engineer everything so I'm just restricting myself.

I've read 75% of this thread and have about 30 of the most informative posts/links saved.

I want to document the build, but like I said, pressed for time.

I'll definitely have pictures when its finished.

I have a couple questions if anyone has ideas or opinions...

Isn't a diffuser vital for even cooking? I see most people don't have one so I assume it's not but it seems like there would be uneven heat distribution without one. The heat from the caracoles should be more concentrated directly under the charcoals.

Second, has anyone done any math on air flow vs. temperature? I wonder how large the exhaust should be compared to the intake for the best temperature regulation.

That would depend on outside temperature etc so I guess it's really complicated...

Don't overthink it. You will be disappointed most likely. KISS. Know what I mean? I didn't use a diffuser for a couple years but now use one all the time. It is a preference. Yes without one there will be a lot more heat right up the center (I measured about a 90 degree difference one day on mine without a diffuser but most will agree a 50 degree difference is an average). I have had ribs in the center get charred while meat around the edges didn't but that was my fault (plain and simple I burnt my food). Still I use a diffuser because I like the more even temps and if you drill holes in it the juices will still hit the coals so it really doesn't have a negative affect on anything that I can see. Plus a diffuser allows you to have multiple racks closet to the fire and not burn your meat on the lower racks.

I use about a 15 inch colander for my diffuser. set it on the fire box and sit the bottom rack on it.

Thanks for the insights. I have the basic idea and will make this thing cook some great meat.

Back