MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #31
ManakooraMan
Knows what a fatty is.

The dangers of Internet consultation of japanese knife experts in Aussieland and Hawai'i. All your base is ours. Haha. Seriously, though the kiritsuke is supposed to be the "true" all purpose Japanese, but it is so ugly only a mother (or Japanese knife maker) could love. Not shown here to protect the innocent. Have one on order from ol' shig.
ManakooraMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #32
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark
Default So, Why Do You Need a Santuko?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
I want one
Pretty much answered your own question right there, brother!
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #33
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDrake View Post
I dig the Nakiri myself. Looking for a nice long slicer next. I have a Shun 9" but it's more carving than slicing. Never too many tools in the box.
You want a Maguro Kiri, they come in different lengths, I have seen them as long as 36 inches or so.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #34
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

Landarc, you are fired. And thank you.
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #35
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Thank you to everybody so far. I am really enjoying your opinions and knowledge.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #36
Sillius Sodus
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieTitch View Post
Do the scollaps in the knives actually stop Vegetables from sticking.
I have been pondering if I need one myself.
Cheers.
Titch
Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Still get some sticking. For me though it's the way the knife fits and the angle of the blade. I love it for slicing tomatoes and onions especially and can easily get a 1/16" thin slice. I also prefer it for chopping leafy fresh herbs too.
Concerning the scallops on a Santuko, one must be real careful when making the distinction about scalloped knives and Granton knives. And by careful, I mean not mistaking the two as being one and the same.

With a real Granton knife, your veggies, meat, herbs, whatever, will not stick. It's simply the way the knife is designed. The Granton edge has scallops that go right down to the knife's edge, with each scallop alternating on opposite sides of the knife. This is why the knife truly works.

Both expensive and non-expensive what I call "sorta-copies" don't do this. You must use a real Granton knife to understand how and why this design from 1928 is often copied, but never really works.

Just my two (Granton knife experienced) cents...
Sillius Sodus is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #37
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillius Sodus View Post
Concerning the scallops on a Santuko, one must be real careful when making the distinction about scalloped knives and Granton knives. And by careful, I mean not mistaking the two as being one and the same.

With a real Granton knife, your veggies, meat, herbs, whatever, will not stick. It's simply the way the knife is designed. The Granton edge has scallops that go right down to the knife's edge, with each scallop alternating on opposite sides of the knife. This is why the knife truly works.

Both expensive and non-expensive what I call "sorta-copies" don't do this. You must use a real Granton knife to understand how and why this design from 1928 is often copied, but never really works.

Just my two (Granton knife experienced) cents...
To your point.

http://www.knifemerchant.com/product...nufacturerID=6

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #38
Sillius Sodus

Exactly. I purchased my 12 inch Slicer from KM. I wish Granton did make a Santuko as I really like the design of the knife, but they do have a 10 inch Chef's knife...

Old 12-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #39
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillius Sodus View Post
Exactly. I purchased my 12 inch Slicer from KM. I wish Granton did make a Santuko as I really like the design of the knife, but they do have a 10 inch Chef's knife...
How do you sharpen your Grantons?

Old 12-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #40
Sillius Sodus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
How do you sharpen your Grantons?
Haven't had to yet. I've only had mine about six months...still sharp as when I first bought them. They get an average of twice weekly use.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #41
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Thanks again everyone. I went ahead and ordered the 7" Victorinox which is inexpensive enough to try out. I realize it probably will only give me a rough idea of what a high end model will do.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #42
aawa
Babbling Farker

I have a Santuko but I still reach for my regular chefs knife more often than not. Most of my chopping I keep the knife point on the board and rock and with the Santuko you have to lift the backside of the knife more so. I find this very awkward and uncomfortable which is why I tend to reach for my chef knife more.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #43
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

I guess I'm a little late to the party... I don't have much to add to what's already been said, except to offer up a cheap (but very nice for the price) hand made Japanese wa-Santoku for anyone wanting to try something new. The knife brand is Tosagata. I own one of these in a nakiri shape and it is one of my favorites. They come razor sharp and can be easily maintained by using a CrO charged leather strop. The blade is hand made from three layers, the center is Japanese white carbon steel (shiro-ko) hardened to about 63 rockwell, and the sides are made from softer iron in kurouchi style. It's a hell of a knife for under $40...

This is the 6½" Santoku...

And here's the link for the best price (there's no picture on this site, but this is the correct item)...

http://www.hidatool.com/cutlery-and-...nife-165mm-6-5

And here's a pic of the Tosagata Nakiri that I have...

And the link to where I bought it...

http://www.hidatool.com/tosa-nakiri-...nife-165mm-6-5

As cheap as they are, these knives are serious cutting instruments. The edge is super hard and super sharp, and they are not stainless. So, they require a higher level of care than other kitchen knives you may be used to. But, the reward for the extra care is in the use of them... They cut wonderfully!

[URL="https://www.oakridgebbq.com"][B][U][SIZE="3"]~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~[/SIZE][/U][/B][/URL]

Ole Hickory CTO
26½" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #44
landarc

I love the Tosagata-style knives, they were my favorites from my grandmothers kitchen. Sadly, when my grandmother died, they went to her son (which makes sense, but, well...) Hida Tool is an excellent company to deal with as well.

Tosagata refers to a country-style knife, they are made in a limited region of Japan and are typically laminated steel, or steel and iron, they make excellent and tough blades. That being said...

The Victorinox offers a good deal, it is a good choice for the money and due to how the steel is made, it has a fine tooth, that aids in cutting many things. It does not cut as smoothly as fine forged steel, but, it is a very useful tool.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
japanese, knife, knives