MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
Jukas
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Spareribs first timer help needed

So my wife came home with two racks of these below and asked if we could have them for dinner.

Since it was so late in the day I got a temporary reprieve until Monday but I'm not sure what to do with these?

I know some people trime them, but I'm not sure where to trim? My best guess is rubbed down with some plowboys yardbird and then done 250-275 probably for 4-6hrs? I'm also not familiar with how to tell if they're close to done and when they're done?
Jukas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Your plan sounds great and there is no reason to trim them unless you want to. In competition we trim spares in what's called the St Louis cut but that is for appearance only.

As far as when they are done there will usually be some pull back of the meat from the bone ends.

I use the bend or crack test to determine when they are ready. Pick up one end of the rack with tongs and the meat will bend or crack in the middle of the rack.

Another popular way is to pierce the meat between the bones with a toothpick. It should go in with very little resistance like butter.

Last edited by NorthwestBBQ; 03-30-2013 at 08:29 PM..
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Again, trimming is your choice. The cut off meat makes good chili if smoked alone with the ribs.

I run 225 for 5.5 hours and then start checking with the bend test.

You Tube has lots of videos on trimming.

[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Coat with favorite rub then cook at 275 for around 4 or 5 hours. Check for doneness with any of the above mentioned methods. I'm a toothpick kinda guy if it makes any difference.

Good luck

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
gmag
Full Fledged Farker

There are a million rubs out there but you wont be disappointed with that Plowboys rub!

Old 03-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
Jukas

Thanks for the tips brethren. if you're going to sauce do you wait until they pass the bend/toothpick test?

Can you manage them with foil & a cooler if they finish early like a brisket or butt?

Old 03-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
Smokin in Ne.
Found some matches.

i like to trim them because the wife like rib tips.I like to rub them down with some worcestershire before appling rub .
Smokin in Ne. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
gayler

I do St. Louis style myself and remove the membrane. I rub them down the night before with Durkey brand rib and chicken rub. Put it on dry ribs, no mustard or anything. I smoke at 230F spritsing with apple juice every hour and foil after three hours with some apple juice for another hour.
gayler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
NorthwestBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
Thanks for the tips brethren. if you're going to sauce do you wait until they pass the bend/toothpick test?

Can you manage them with foil & a cooler if they finish early like a brisket or butt?
1) Since I sauce and cook them for about 10 minutes longer, yes.

2) Ribs do not hold as well as brisket or butts and can dry out.

Last edited by NorthwestBBQ; 03-31-2013 at 10:30 AM..
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2013, 12:00 PM   #10
Smoking Terrapin
Knows what a fatty is.

There's some great info here, especially some of what Northwest BBQ told you. If you're a newbie, a few extra thoughts.
1) Consider finishing in the oven or be sure to wrap after you've smoked for a while. Especially if you're serving naked (no sauce), you may be disappointed with dry ribs if you don't do something to keep moist as they finish.
2) I would trim the St. Louis slab as shown, removing the rib tips. DO NOT THROW THEM AWAY. Just smoke them separately and you'll find this helps you to smoke in a reasonable period of time. If you're using a rib rack, the full slab spare ribs will slump over and not cook completely.
3) Consider doing one slab wet, one dry. Many people assume they NEED to have BBQ sauce on ribs until they do it right. I like both, but just because a rib is done "dry" doesn't mean it IS dry or less flavorful.
HAPPY EASTER AND HAPPY BBQ!
Smoking Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2013, 12:03 PM   #11
Smoking Terrapin
Knows what a fatty is.

Oh, and they're done when the meat shrinks back from the bone about 1/2". The rack will have some flex to it, but meat should not fall off the bone.
Smoking Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #12
Jukas

Cooked em today at 250 on the egg. I put them on at 1pm and figured they'd go five hours so I intended to start checking them at 5pm, four hours in. Turns out they were already not only done, but past done. I gave them a quick sauce and them slapped em on cookie trays and covered em with foil. They ended up decent in the middle, but dry on the ends and literally fell off the bone. Next time I'll either do them lower, at 225 or start checking them at 3 hrs.

Ironically the family loved them, I was the only critic.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #13
Randbo
is one Smokin' Farker

They look very tastey!!!

Old 04-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #14
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Yep... 250 for 5 hours is too long in general. However, we have all made that mistake when starting out, so just enjoy them. Plenty more ribs out there to gain perfection!

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #15
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Totally agree with Michael here!
Very good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ View Post
Your plan sounds great and there is no reason to trim them unless you want to. In competition we trim spares in what's called the St Louis cut but that is for appearance only.

As far as when they are done there will usually be some pull back of the meat from the bone ends.

I use the bend or crack test to determine when they are ready. Pick up one end of the rack with tongs and the meat will bend or crack in the middle of the rack.

Another popular way is to pierce the meat between the bones with a toothpick. It should go in with very little resistance like butter.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->