MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Easter Morning Cookout - Spares and Butts - Pron

Had an early start this morning at 5:30am in preparation for today's Easter feast. Got the barrels fired up at 6am and let the PBC settle into to its thin blue butter zone. 2 ~6lb butts went on at 7am. I let the UDS settle in and come up to temp by 7:45 and three racks of STL cut spares went on by 8. The butts are getting apple would and the ribs are getting cooked with cherry. No hickory this go around. Hopefully it will be a nice change.

The plan is to have every thing done by noon or 1pm and then be wrapped and coolered for the drive to family friends and to then be served around 3:30. Pron to follow....

Happy Easter too all and Christ's blessings to you and your family!

He is Risen!! Alleluia!!

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-31-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Good morning world!! Pits out of the shed ready to be fired..PBC was off to a head start.

Just after the butts hit the PBC

Settling in..

Ribs on...

Old 03-31-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
davefan360
Take a breath!

nice looking drums. and ribs.

Last edited by davefan360; 03-31-2013 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: spelling
davefan360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
juslearning
is one Smokin' Farker

Great start! What temps are you running?
Proud supporter of #14 Tony Stewart. Go Smoke!!!!
juslearning is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by juslearning View Post
Great start! What temps are you running?
Thanks! Both barrels are running at about 275. I don't mess with the PBC so if it jumps higher or lower I just let it go..

Old 03-31-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Butts..

Into the foil they go..

Old 03-31-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
harris92
Full Fledged Farker

Looks Awesome. Happy Easter!

Old 03-31-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Budman1
is one Smokin' Farker

What time did you want us over for dinner?...looks great!

Bob
Semper Fi
Budman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Mmmmm...Ribs...

Soon to be sauced with some Blues Hog original..

Old 03-31-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Ribs are done! Into the cooler they go along with the towel wrapped butts..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130331_121513_509.jpg (39.7 KB, 138 views)

Old 04-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #11
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Updated pics. Got busy last night and finally had a chance to load up the pictures so here ya go..

Nice looking butt before being torn apart. Turned out delicious and I loved the milder smoke of the Apple wood. Was seasoned over night with Weber KC Style BBQ Rub.

Pulled with ease and he bone came out clean. Everyone loved it.

The second butt I did was just as good as the first. Overall the cook went well. The ribs were a hit with everyone and they loved the Blues Hog sauce. They were seasoned with a 50/50 mix of Famous Dave's and Blues Hog dry rub. This was also the first time I cook the ribs straight. Didn't foil or mess with any mopping, just let them ride until they passed the bend test and probed tender between the bones. Total cook time was around 3.5 hours.

Stubb's and Cherry were the fuels of choice in the trusty UDS (rocked ~275 the whole cook). The cherry was good and the ribs did have a nice deep reddish pink smoke ring. Smoke flavor wise, it was hard to distinguish but they were not as smokey as doing them over hickory like I have in the past. I think I'm going to stick with the no foil method and next time will mess around with hickory/cherry/apple combos.

Until next time fellas!

Old 04-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #12
Oldbob
is One Chatty Farker

Great Lookin Cook !! What did You think of the Weber KC Style BBQ Rub...I saw it at Sam's the other day but didn't pick any up?
Weber Gasser Genesis Silver A
Pit Barrel Cooker
Maverick ET-732
VietNam Veteran US Navy
May you Sleep in Peace always...and Please....Thank a Veteran for That Privilege!!
Oldbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #13
1911Ron
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Ron

Nice looking butt Ribs look good also. I've stopped foiling my ribs and we like them better, plus no hassle of opening the drum and wrapping them and putting them back on, plus it gives more time to enjoy a cold one

Old 04-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #14
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbob View Post
Great Lookin Cook !! What did You think of the Weber KC Style BBQ Rub...I saw it at Sam's the other day but didn't pick any up?
Its pretty good. Its no SM or Plowboys but it works and taste great for the poor man Q'er. This is the second time I've used it on a butt before these two and will probably keep using it on them. I've liked the results thus far.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #15
BobM
Babbling Farker

Nice looking cook!
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote