Jalepeneo Pesto .............

Qczar

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I got the idea to make this years ago while walking the streets of Manhatten and stopped off at a now famous pizza joint 'Two Boots'. 'Two Boots' getting it`s name from the geographical shape of Italy and Louisianna. Combining the flavors of the two cousines in their pizza making. Anywayz, they had and still have a pizza there with an Jalapeneo Pesto topping with different types of meats like anduille and crawfish. I loved the flavor of this pesto and figured how hard can it be to come up with my own. I`ve been now making it for maybe 10 years? And, since this is now hot pepper season here in the northeast, I`d make another batch to last me `till next fall.

Simply roast red rippend jalapeneos and remove the skin. Split, seed and place pepper meat in a food proccessor with roasted garlic and chop up. Then drizzle good olive oil `till you have a nice pesto. (nuts are optional as the strong flavor of the pepper kinda drowns it out).

I use it on anthing. Fish, chicken, pork, even steak. And if you get a good batch of peppers, it WILL be smoking! Worth a try!

Man, that sounds great. Im a huge garlic fan. I understand that you can make pesto from garlic greens (the leaves of a garlic plant. Garlic kinda looks like an onion when growing) but Ive never tried it. Thanks for the recipe.

Thanks Qczar, that sounds like a great recipe. I definitely will try it.

Ahh. Two Boots. great place. The original restaurant is in Park Slope Brooklyn, where they have an open kitchen and let kids make mini pizzas for themselves.

BrooklynQ said:
Ahh. Two Boots. great place. The original restaurant is in Park Slope Brooklyn, where they have an open kitchen and let kids make mini pizzas for themselves................. Brauma quoted: I understand that you can make pesto from garlic greens (the leaves of a garlic plant. Garlic kinda looks like an onion when growing) but Ive never tried it.

Did`nt know that? Must have been a while ago. I used to go to the first one in Manhatten just off lower Broadway, a couple blocks north of Houston. A few years after that, I noticed them scattered all over town.

Yeah those garlic greens would be good as well. I used to used raw garilic but now I roast it and can add a lot more without the added sharpness of the garlic. The key is to find the pepper to be perfectly ripen. Sweet, but hot!

The chit kicks ass.

So Qczar I take it you grow your own japs and leave them on the vine till they turn red. Ive only seen green ones in the store. I like jap poppers (filled with cheese and fried). But otherwise I'm not much into hot peppers.

Speaking of sweet peppers, I had the best year ever for bell peppers. I like to leave them on the vine till they turn red. Usually they go bad first but this year they all did great.

Brauma said:
So Qczar I take it you grow your own japs and leave them on the vine till they turn red. Ive only seen green ones in the store. I like jap poppers (filled with cheese and fried). But otherwise I'm not much into hot peppers.

Speaking of sweet peppers, I had the best year ever for bell peppers. I like to leave them on the vine till they turn red. Usually they go bad first but this year they all did great.

Yes I do grow some, but there is a flea/farm market near me that they practically give them away this time of year (like 2 dozen for a buck). If you do not like the heat from Japs, you can make this pesto with any roasted pepper. I would imagine even a bell pepper will be tasty too? I find waiting untill they are red ripen brings out the full flavor of a pepper. A sweetness that only comes when they are red. Even the hot ones. The tricky thing with Japs is some are much hotter than others.

:)

I make a hugh batches of Pesto(basil) to last me thru the winter. A hint, should work for pepper pesto too.... when you make the batch, spoon the pesto into plastic ice cube trays(sprayed with pam), or drop portion sized drops onto wax paper and freeze them. When they freeze up solid, dump them into a freezer bag. I used small food saver bags and put 4 cubes per bag. Just drop them into whatever your cooking and they melt real fast.. a bowl of hot pasta makes short work of a pesto cube and it brings some of summer into January.

hey phil, that sounds like a great idea for storing all that basil from the garden each year. usually i wash it dry it and layer it into tupperware containers, but you can't make pesto out of that stuff in the middle of winter. if you make it without nuts, i bet you could throw a cube or two into some tomato sauce also! thanks for the tip, i'm going to try it next year with peppers and basil.
phil

Jalapeno salsa

I make a similar jalapeno hot sauce/salsa. I roast the jalapenos, take off the skins and tops and process them (seeds and all) with vinegar instead of oil. To that I add some cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, garlic (either roasted or not), and what ever else I feel like throwing in at the time (sometimes fresh cilantro or a squeeze of lime). A jar of this lasts a long time in the fridge. It's great on anything that you want to add some kick to. I love it on borritos. My favorite is black beans, pork or chicken, jalapeno salsa, chopped onion, cheese and some sour cream in a soft flour shell.

BBQchef33 said:
I make a hugh batches of Pesto(basil) to last me thru the winter. A hint, should work for pepper pesto too.... when you make the batch, spoon the pesto into plastic ice cube trays(sprayed with pam), or drop portion sized drops onto wax paper and freeze them. When they freeze up solid, dump them into a freezer bag. I used small food saver bags and put 4 cubes per bag. Just drop them into whatever your cooking and they melt real fast.. a bowl of hot pasta makes short work of a pesto cube and it brings some of summer into January.
Phil, whats the recipe for the pesto. We just love it over pasta and stir fried chicken and I wan't to make my own. I've only had store bought that is in a package and you add boiling water and olive oil. I bet home made would be sooo much better. Thanks.

BBQchef33 said:

That is a good idea for pesto. But I find the Jap Pesto too hot to eat in the larger amounts like regular pesto. What I do is make about 2 cups in my mini food processor. Then spoon a ½ cup or more into the bottom of small plastic bags. Freeze. Then when needing some. Let thaw a bit. Clip off a small corner of the bag. And, squirt out using it as a pastry bag. When I squirt out enough on meat, pizza or whatever, just twist tie up the small corner and back into the freezer. I`ll get 4-5 uses per small bag.

It`s 6:30 in the morning and I have a hankering for this stuff now!

schoonch said:
I make a similar jalapeno hot sauce/salsa. I roast the jalapenos, take off the skins and tops and process them (seeds and all) with vinegar instead of oil. To that I add some cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, garlic (either roasted or not), and what ever else I feel like throwing in at the time (sometimes fresh cilantro or a squeeze of lime). A jar of this lasts a long time in the fridge. It's great on anything that you want to add some kick to. I love it on borritos. My favorite is black beans, pork or chicken, jalapeno salsa, chopped onion, cheese and some sour cream in a soft flour shell.

Sure, this sounds great too. I always make my own salsa as it is waaay better than a jar. Especially in the late summer when the tomatos are ripe. Great on Q`ed taco meat. I never tried roasted pepper in it, but now will. Got to make it better.

TangSooDoMan said:
Phil, whats the recipe for the pesto. We just love it over pasta and stir fried chicken and I wan't to make my own. I've only had store bought that is in a package and you add boiling water and olive oil. I bet home made would be sooo much better. Thanks.

Basic pesto is: Mucho garlic / Mucho flat leaf parsley / And some pine nuts (will 'nuts' be sensored?) / Blend together with olive oil.

Sky`s the limit from there .............

My version of pesto, lots of garlic cloves(10-12), and loads of fresh basil leaves, what would equate to a large plant at least. Put in the food processor with Olive oil and start to chop adding oil as needed. Once its chopped into a corse paste add a handfull of locatelli Romano and some white pepper and mix.

Now.. decisions decisions.... If are you making tonights dinner you can add the pine nuts now and you have pesto. Chopping the nuts in the processor is your option. I give them a quick chop before adding the cheese. But if your making a large batch to freeze, i dont add the pine nuts at this point. I use the ice cube trick above, and i will use those cubes for other things, primarily making sauce. Dont want pine nuts in my sauce. ;)

But when u use the cubes for pesto, add the nuts at that point. I put the cubes in a baggie and then into some warm water to soften them before adding it in hot pasta.

Qczar said:
Opps, correct mayself, basil-not parsley.

i was wondering about that. :-?

Just figured you had a different kind I never tried. :rolleyes:

Back