MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #31
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Guess I'm the odd ball. I cook everything fresh for both concessions and catering. Yes this means up most of the night even when I do get to lay my head down it's barely considered resting. When I sell concessions I pull my trailer to my spot and my Lang 84 by making two trips early 7am on Saturday mornings after cooking most of the night. We will usually sell from 11am-3pm as late as 5 or 6pm. Then I pull my Lang home and go back Sunday morning and get my concessions trailer.

I would not recommend this as it is exhausting. I can do it as much as 3 nights in a row and then I am dead but usually only 1 night. One day I would like to upgrade to a 24ft trailer and a Southern Pride but that will require going full time to even think about paying for it.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #32
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley Q View Post
Tell that to the millions of ppl who eat ribs prepared that way everyday

Put em on the grill to finish and booyah

Hate to tell ya porky but I know of at least 2 TV BBQ Pitmasters who do ribs that way in their restaurants.

Never heard a compaint about the taste.

Doesn't make it right........just a fact.
"Porky" cute.

I wouldn't go around bragging about BBQ restaurant or TV BBQ Pitmasters food in their restaurants.

At least not where people can see.

If your gold standard is what you eat at Dickeys, Sonny's or Tony Romas, then we really have nothing to discuss anyways.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #33
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot View Post
"Porky" cute.

I wouldn't go around bragging about BBQ restaurant or TV BBQ Pitmasters food in their restaurants.

At least not where people can see.

If your gold standard is what you eat at Dickeys, Sonny's or Tony Romas, then we really have nothing to discuss anyways.
I got to give him credit though. He's hell bent on telling us we CANNOT tell the difference. No matter if we really can. I know I can. I've eaten at Tony Roma's, Applebee's and Chili's and there was an obvious taste difference. I'm not saying their stuff was "awful". If it was "awful" it wouldn't sell. But if I'm using a criteria of smoke flavor, texture, and tenderness. I can usually tell you real quick if something was truly Q'd or not.

We used to have a "Smokey Bones" here in Shreveport that stayed open less than a year and a half. The first time I went I had their rib plate I notice the texture and just the overall flavor didn't seem like anything I'd ever eaten that I knew was pulled out of a smoker. So I asked the waiter if these were smoked in a smoker in the back or not. He asked me why I asked. I told him I do a lot of Q'n and something didn't taste right. Not meaning it tasted "bad" but just different. He said they didn't actually smoke them their but were shipped frozen and already prepped they just tossed them on the grill. He never said if they were actually smoked or not. But either way. I was right about them not being smoked there. So I could tell some form of difference.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling

Last edited by Bamabuzzard; 03-06-2013 at 04:11 PM..
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #34
bobaftt
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Tell that to the millions of ppl who eat ribs prepared that way everyday

Put em on the grill to finish and booyah

Hate to tell ya porky but I know of at least 2 TV BBQ Pitmasters who do ribs that way in their restaurants.

Never heard a compaint about the taste.

Doesn't make it right........just a fact.
I don't know if you are being intentionally dense or not? No one is debating whether or not you can get crappy non bbq ribs from a chain restaurant or even from a so called bbq joint. What we are saying is that we can tell the difference and wouldn't eat ribs there. Have I had applebees ribs before? Sure. Did I expect the same result that I get with 6 hours in the backyard? Nope.
bobaftt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2013, 04:57 AM   #35
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

the bottom line of advice in my oppinion, is what type of food quaility do YOU want to prepare, put your name on it and sell to the cash buyer. If some nit-wit thinks you can outsmart the customer, let him do it, while you are seeing your lines get bigger. Yes, I have been out-sold by the bigger vendors who bring in thier ribs pre-smoked and so be it...at the end of the day I KNOW that what was sold was real and not just a misconception or deception. Be true to your self and your customers and it will work out..real bbq sometimes does not mean bigger profit, but if you stay real then so will your customers...they can tell..

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #36
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBellyBBQ View Post
the bottom line of advice in my oppinion, is what type of food quaility do YOU want to prepare, put your name on it and sell to the cash buyer. If some nit-wit thinks you can outsmart the customer, let him do it, while you are seeing your lines get bigger. Yes, I have been out-sold by the bigger vendors who bring in thier ribs pre-smoked and so be it...at the end of the day I KNOW that what was sold was real and not just a misconception or deception. Be true to your self and your customers and it will work out..real bbq sometimes does not mean bigger profit, but if you stay real then so will your customers...they can tell..
Amen brother!

www.doubledsbbq.com
Backwoods Patio Unit

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #37
deguerre

Man. Where are the Help or NO Help nipples? There have been quite a few very Non Helpful posts in this thread. (Some good replies to those too though...)
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #38
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBellyBBQ View Post
So FECs and Southern Prides are keeping it "real"?
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #39
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke duke View Post
So FECs and Southern Prides are keeping it "real"?
I think what he's saying is stay true to what you believe in and don't take shortcuts that impact "your" standard of quality.

www.doubledsbbq.com
Backwoods Patio Unit

Old 03-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #40
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Rocke View Post
We have 2 trucks out here in LA and Orange County - Happy to share what we know. PM me with a phone number and I will give you a call. Best of luck!
And may I say that I liked the pulled pork and mac and cheese!! Mrs. SJ and I almost wolfed it down in the parking lot of your store on Tustin Ave.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #41
gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Rocke View Post
We have 2 trucks out here in LA and Orange County - Happy to share what we know. PM me with a phone number and I will give you a call. Best of luck!
You gotta come up by Universal! Ain't no good BBQ trucks here. There's a park across from gate 2 and we get 4-9 trucks a day there. Tuesdays aren't good though - Kogi dominates that day no matter who's there. There's a woman at Universal who sends an e-mail blast and has a blog about the trucks there. She'll notify 100's of folks that you're coming.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #42
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

this is my buddy's rig in south Florida. We are required to be screened in around the cook area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg willy's.jpg (80.4 KB, 103 views)

Old 03-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #43
Bigmista

Quote:
@smokethis

Ever eaten ribs at chilis, fridays, longhorn, roadhouse, o'charleys, applebees, ruby tuesday, etc??

Then you've eaten ribs prepared this way.

surprissssse, surprisssse
I've never eaten ribs at any of those places. If it ain't a bbq joint, I don't order bbq.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->