MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #16
razrbakcrzy
is one Smokin' Farker

it sound like a basket design issue to me...post photos of your basket...
[FONT=Arial][B]Future Smoker [/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]$5438.25 Total BYC Smoker!![/FONT]

[SIZE=2]Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985 [/SIZE]
razrbakcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #17
huskerfan1200
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dae06 View Post
It looks it a full bag has 8.8 lbs., so I guess I used 6-7 pounds. Here is the stuff I use from Menards up here in the Midwest. I am thinking about trying Stubb's from Lowes. No reason, just that I have heard a lot of good things regarding it. I am very happy with my Menards Lump though.

Lump from Menards

Just noticed your location. You know where Menards is :). My first cook was Monday. Really windy!!!!
Yep, just live across HWY 63 from Menards. Monday was a windy day to be cooking. Tuesday was a much better day.

Would be good to see you basket design/size. Did the vents get completely shut down after 12 hours to choke out the fire?
huskerfan1200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #18
dae06

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerfan1200 View Post
Yep, just live across HWY 63 from Menards. Monday was a windy day to be cooking. Tuesday was a much better day.

Would be good to see you basket design/size. Did the vents get completely shut down after 12 hours to choke out the fire?
Do you want to see my basket design or the OP's who is having the problem with his temps? And no, I ran out of fuel after the 12 hours.
dae06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #19
huskerfan1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by dae06 View Post
Do you want to see my basket design or the OP's who is having the problem with his temps? And no, I ran out of fuel after the 12 hours.
Sure, if you can post a picture of it, that'd be good to have a look at.

What do you use to cover the vent holes? You mentioned they were 3/4" holes. On mine, I just use basic refrigerator magnets.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #20
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Endo View Post
Hi guys, I'm new to the smoking world, but very motivated. I just finished making a UDS. I think it looks pretty good. I'm using a Weber lid because I couldn't find a barrel with a lid. It was a half inch small so I bent the flange out so that I could fit it to the barrel better. It still leaks a little but since I can control the flow with the vent control on the lid I didn't think that it would be much of a problem. I have smoked a couple of items so far with reasonable success. My problem lies in temperature control and more specifically initial temperature rise. I have only been smoking things for about 4-5 hours. To do this I put aprox. 5 lbs lump charcoal in with 3 fist sized pieces of hickory. It takes an hour just to get to 220 with three 3/4 inch vents open and my ball valve completely open. Then to maintain the temperature I leave the three vents completely open. I'm going to try and smoke a butt for 12-14 hours this weekend using 8.5-9 lbs lump charcoal. I don't think that it's going to make it. On other peoples blogs I read that they get the temp up pretty fast and then close off most of the air vents to bring it down and slowly cook that way. What am I doing differently? Any advice or mods that you all could suggest?
My head started hurting after the first 2 lines. Ever heard of composition? Sentences and paragraphs (including proper use of commas and periods)

Sorry to sound like a grammar snob, but someone around here has to be the ahole. Please, we can't read that stuff. Break it down.

Sorry to the mods If I'm making trouble, but.... OK I'm done ranting.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #21
ksgoosekillr
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
My head started hurting after the first 2 lines. Ever heard of composition? Sentences and paragraphs (including proper use of commas and periods)

Sorry to sound like a grammar snob, but someone around here has to be the ahole. Please, we can't read that stuff. Break it down.

everyonebutuwasabletoanswerthemanwithoutcryingabou tgrammer
ksgoosekillr is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 04-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #22
dae06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgoosekillr View Post
everyonebutuwasabletoanswerthemanwithoutcryingabou tgrammer
I like that.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #23
dae06

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerfan1200 View Post
Sure, if you can post a picture of it, that'd be good to have a look at.

What do you use to cover the vent holes? You mentioned they were 3/4" holes. On mine, I just use basic refrigerator magnets.

You can appreciate this UDS being from Rochester. I'll get a picture of my basket tonight.

Last edited by dae06; 04-18-2012 at 07:07 PM..

Old 04-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #24
frohe
Full Fledged Farker

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post

I don't see a problem wiith his grammar and composition.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #25
dae06

I didn't mean to highjack this thread. Hopefully this will help the OP.

Last edited by dae06; 04-18-2012 at 07:07 PM..

Old 04-18-2012, 11:43 PM   #26
huskerfan1200

Holy cow...that is a nice looking UDS!!!! Especially after Twins take down the Bronx Bombers tonight!!

Check your PM.

Tags
problem, Temp, temperature, uds