MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #76
bover
is one Smokin' Farker

I still don't see the harm in eliminating slices as a valid pork turn-in option. Get rid of that and the rules suddenly become very easy to understand and enforce.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #77
White Dog BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bover View Post
I still don't see the harm in eliminating slices as a valid pork turn-in option. Get rid of that and the rules suddenly become very easy to understand and enforce.
I thought you Midwestern guys loved your sliced pork? Wouldn't that cause a riot or something in KC?

1x 14.5" WSM
1x 18" WSM
1x Red Weber Performer
1x Blue Weber Performer
1x Weber 22.5" OneTouch Silver
1x Weber Genesis Silver B
White Dog BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #78
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie'48 View Post
The KCBS Board of Directors ([email protected]) and the Rules Committee ([email protected]) are willing, even glad, to hear their members' thoughts on rules changes.

Last year at the Open Rules meeting not one person there spoke up in favor of keeping the parting rule. Out of all of the e-mail responses to the Rules Committee regarding the pork rule not one stated that they were in favor of keeping it the way it was. Each and every member who mentioned the pork parting rule said to ditch it.

So - loaded with that information from the members - I proposed, and the BoD passed, a new pork rule. After a little tweaking Jeff re-submitted the proposed rule and it was passed by the Board. Jeff has now asked that the Board give their final approval to the rules changes for the 2014 BBQ season. That motion failed .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
From what I was told there were under 50 people there. Even if all were cooks that is a very low percentage to our registered team count. Especially to be making assumptions that is how the majority feels.

I do not want to see KCBS change rules just to reduce the skillsets needed to cook pork or any meat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMerrill View Post
From what you said, the new rule should read like this.

Pork shall come from the shoulder.
Okay, that's a good START!

The next (and most important) step is to send those thoughts to KCBS. All of the ranting and raving on a forum doesn't get your thoughts to the BoD, contacting the Board or the Rules Committee will.

And as far as how many members were present at the meeting in January: Those were the only ones that we heard from! Where were the concerns/thoughts from anyone else? If every one of the members who responded felt one way how is the Board supposed to know what the rest of the membership thought if they didn't make their views known???

That's why there was the ad in the BullSheet and the e-blast asking for input on rules for the 2014 season. If no one lets the Board know what they think how are the Board members supposed to figure that out?

The same goes for any and all things that come before the Board. Is there a disciplinary issue coming up? Let us know how you feel. Is there a problem with a certain Contest Rep? Let us know how you feel. Do you have some thoughts on a better way to do something? Let us know how you feel. Is there something in the KCBS Rules that you think could be better? Let us know how you feel.

Don't sit there and wonder how the Board is going to handle something - let us know how you feel. It's YOUR organization. We were elected to serve YOU - the members. Let us know how YOU feel!
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #79
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
contacting the Board or the Rules Committee will.
List of Rules committee members?
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #80
Dex
is one Smokin' Farker

No need for me to return our pork to the cooker.... I do a good enough job overcooking it in the cambro lol.

Note to self... leave foil open longer before putting in cambro

Old 11-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #81
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Okay, that's a good START!

The next (and most important) step is to send those thoughts to KCBS. All of the ranting and raving on a forum doesn't get your thoughts to the BoD, contacting the Board or the Rules Committee will.

And as far as how many members were present at the meeting in January: Those were the only ones that we heard from! Where were the concerns/thoughts from anyone else? If every one of the members who responded felt one way how is the Board supposed to know what the rest of the membership thought if they didn't make their views known???

That's why there was the ad in the BullSheet and the e-blast asking for input on rules for the 2014 season. If no one lets the Board know what they think how are the Board members supposed to figure that out?

The same goes for any and all things that come before the Board. Is there a disciplinary issue coming up? Let us know how you feel. Is there a problem with a certain Contest Rep? Let us know how you feel. Do you have some thoughts on a better way to do something? Let us know how you feel. Is there something in the KCBS Rules that you think could be better? Let us know how you feel.

Don't sit there and wonder how the Board is going to handle something - let us know how you feel. It's YOUR organization. We were elected to serve YOU - the members. Let us know how YOU feel!
Good point, and I do appreciate your willingness to serve on this board and act as professional as you do. I don't have time to read the bullsheet but can listen the BoD meeting while working. I can only imagine how frustrating it is at times.

I will send an email to the board [email protected] and rules committee [email protected]

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #82
Scottie

I go to the banquet every year. The times for the meetings are not very doable.. Having it on a Friday requires teams to be there on a Thursday. At over $100 a night for a room, it does get a bit expensive. Let's face it, they have never been well attended. But neither has the banquet. But to run with something because a vocal minority shows up? Not sure if that is right either.

And this is by no means pointing a finfer.These times, have been going on for a long time. It is nothing new or nothing new for this BOD.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #83
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
You guys make me feel dumb. I use the same butts for pulled and for MM.

I must be the only SOB with hot spots on my cooker.
I can do the same thing too, but for me and my cooker, it's such a thin line/small margin for error.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #84
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bover View Post
Man would I ever love to see this happen. I understand what the K in KCBS stands for, and that many for some reason that I have yet to figure out love sliced pork butt. However, KCBS obviously wants to be a national sanctioning body and to most(probably nearly all) of the nation BBQ pork means pulled or chopped.

BTW I actually HAVE had MM that was perfectly cooked and seasoned just right before. I wasn't all that impressed. Give me pulled 10 times out of 10.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #85
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
I go to the banquet every year. The times for the meetings are not very doable.. Having it on a Friday requires teams to be there on a Thursday. At over $100 a night for a room, it does get a bit expensive. Let's face it, they have never been well attended. But neither has the banquet. But to run with something because a vocal minority shows up? Not sure if that is right either.

And this is by no means pointing a finfer.These times, have been going on for a long time. It is nothing new or nothing new for this BOD.
We did not just go by the people at the banquet. I've heard from many many cooks that they would like to see the parting/no returning to the cooker rule go away. We asked for input via the website and the bullsheet. I personally asked for input from facebook and a couple of forums. A large majority of the people I heard from wanted to do away with the parting rule.....Now I admit since we passed the new rule we have heard from people that don't want the rule changed. But I've still heard from more people that want the new rule.

I would bet money that we did more due diligence on this rule then has ever been done for a KCBS rule in the past. We asked and received input from many many cooks. We will never get everybody to agree so we have to go with the majority.

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #86
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
We did not just go by the people at the banquet. I've heard from many many cooks that they would like to see the parting/no returning to the cooker rule go away. We asked for input via the website and the bullsheet. I personally asked for input from facebook and a couple of forums. A large majority of the people I heard from wanted to do away with the parting rule.....Now I admit since we passed the new rule we have heard from people that don't want the rule changed. But I've still heard from more people that want the new rule.

I would bet money that we did more due diligence on this rule then has ever been done for a KCBS rule in the past. We asked and received input from many many cooks. We will never get everybody to agree so we have to go with the majority.
I could be totally off-base and mis-interpret listening to the last meeting, but to your point about the majority, it almost seemed to me, that even after all the 'votes' they had during the meeting, it seemed almost worthless, because there were still a few there that voted against it (whatever) and didn't like to lose. It seemed to me that the BOD wanted consensus and not let the majority rule.

Vote, and be done with it..
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #87
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
Vote, and be done with it..
Amen

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #88
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
Now I admit since we passed the new rule we have heard from people that don't want the rule changed.
It's not that we don't want the rule changed - we don't want a flawed rule. The new rule in it's current incantation is flawed. It has a huge amount of wiggle room and, as written turns pork into a grilling contest (c'mon, we all know it does). Don't give me this crap about "trimming all the way down to the money muscle and just cooking that would be a DQ because it violates the "spirit of the rule" when butterflying and leaving the money muscle attached by a thread clearly violates the cooked whole spirit of the current rule but is never called or discussed. Doing this just creates a sea of grey interpretation making enforcement that much more difficult.

The "spirit" of the whole shoulder / Boston butt / roast rule is to show skill in cooking the traditional big meat. The new rule as written turns that on it's head. There has been more discussion about cheating / angle shooting in pork than any other meat since I've been around. Clearly pork is a a problem area and as such should a new rule be enacted it needs to be clearly defined so that there is no question as to what is permitted. It also shouldn't "dumb down" the skill required.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #89
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post

BTW I actually HAVE had MM that was perfectly cooked and seasoned just right before. I wasn't all that impressed. Give me pulled 10 times out of 10.

You may have had proper, but it does not sound like you had the good stuff yet.

Why tell me I can't turn it in because you don't like it? Dang communism. ;)
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 11:42 PM   #90
Rookie'48

Keep up the good work, folks!

Let's have some more thoughts on the parting rule, disciplinary actions, Reps, whatever . The more input y'all give the more info we have to make the decisions.

Remember that its YOUR organization, not the Board's! We are supposed to listen to the members, not dictate our wishes to them. I'm not saying that every question is going to be answered by a public poll or that a simple majority of vocal members is going to rule the day - what I am saying is that hearing from the members is NEVER a bad thing. When only 100 people out of 17,000 give their opinion and they all say the same thing where does our input come from? If we can hear from 2,000 out of 17,000 (yeah right) then we have a better understanding of where the membership wants to go on that subject.

Let's hear from some more of you KCBS members ! I don't care which side of what issue you are on, I just think that you need to make your views known to the Board. At last count we had four members write in today, let's see how many more want to chime in and let their voices be heard. And to those who wrote in - THANX!!!
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote