MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
Nate749
Knows what a fatty is.

Default My simple PBC review.

This is just a simple review of the PBC that I purchased and the ease of it. I considered a uds but honestly did not want another project I have too many around the house as it is. So here is the review.

I order with the grilling discount and receive my new cooker in 4 days, I already had planned to do my FIRST brisket so I was prepared. Set up was honestly idiot proof. If you can open a box and cut through some tape you've mad it past the hardest part. Total time from opening box to meat on and cooking was about 30 minutes, could have saved a couple minutes but had to grab a beer I cannot express how simple this thing is.. Is it a wsm? No it isn't so lets get that out of the way.. This thing cooks SOLID at 280-290 degrees which I like to cook at.. Ive done the low and slow and I like the time difference with a little more heat so this works perfect for me.. other might not like to cook that high but I do. Lets get back to the simplicity of this machine..now the process of getting started with this thing is not IKEA dresser assembly difficult more like throwing clothes into the dryer it is that easy. I mean you dump charcoal into the pre-measured bin, add lighter fluid, insert into cooker and put a match to it and return in 20 minutes.. THAT IS IT!! not rocket science. I set up and put my brisket on hanging of course and trust me I had my doubts! so away I went armed only with a toothpick waiting for my probe test.. it was a 12-13 lb packer and trimmed I guess haha I have never even looked at brisket before.. about 5-6 hours later I have the brisket in the cooler resting and my friends and I thought it was delicious!! there were 5 of us and honestly the brisket was all but one for and not much left over..

I know this is not a wsm,uds,ceramic cooker.. and honestly I knew that buying it. But i didn't realize the big drawn out discussion that would lead to on here. Im not putting down any other cooker as myself I have 3 webers and an akorn. Just a simple review of a product that looked dummy proof and a product I didnt have to baby sit at all and that pushed me to purchase it. Here are pictures!!

And yes I know I did not correctly trim and separate the brisket I realize that know but since that was my first on Ididnt car and honeslty no one else did either.. But now I know haha!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0458.jpg (33.6 KB, 530 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0452.jpg (32.7 KB, 530 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0461.jpg (69.6 KB, 529 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0462.jpg (74.7 KB, 528 views)
Nate749 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for the review and the pictures. The brisket looks gooooood!

(The fat is my favorite part. )

Old 01-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
Nate749
Knows what a fatty is.

Thank you!

Old 01-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Is the intake opening pre set? what is the dimensions on he basket? Brisket look spot on!

Old 01-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Looks like you did a nice job an the brisket!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm digging that barrel. Have you done brisket on wsm and barrel? If so he do the compare? I'm askin caz I'd love a barrel some day (very happy with my wsm though, great unit).
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Ps, nice looking smoke ring.
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
N8man
Babbling Farker

That looks like a solid cooker and a very viable option for those that don't have the inclination nor resources for a diy project....

and..your brisket looks OutStanding!!!!

Thank you for taking the time to review it for us.....

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

I spoke to Noah earlier this week, during our conversation about the PBc and the company, I mentioned the reservations Ive had with the lighter fluid, if for no other reason, practice what i preach, and lighter fluid has been tossed aside many years ago.. so he said to simply fill the premeasured ring, remove some coals and put them in a chimney and light em up, then dump them on top when they are ready.

only mentioning this because someone, like me WILL jump on the lighter fluid issue.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
Oldbob
is One Chatty Farker

That Brisket Looks Fantastic...Thanks for the Good Review..Gonna go ahead and order mine later tonight !!
Weber Gasser Genesis Silver A
Pit Barrel Cooker
Maverick ET-732
VietNam Veteran US Navy
May you Sleep in Peace always...and Please....Thank a Veteran for That Privilege!!
Oldbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #11
Pole D
is one Smokin' Farker

Great job Nate and thanks for the review!
Pole D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #12
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Nice work! It's a sweet cooker, ain't it?

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #13
Nate749
Knows what a fatty is.

Thank you for the responses.. I don't know if I stated it but that brisket was around 12-13 lbs if I remember correctly and I just cut off the bigger fat points that looked way to big to cook through and just slightly trimmed other areas so maybe it went on the grill at 10-11 lbs maybe more I don't remember exactly sorry.. And that was my first time I have ever cooked a brisket but felt very confident after reading multiple pages on this site about it and also on the PBC website. Yes the intake was preset I didnt touch anything just hung the meat and walked away and returned about 5 hours later and it probed perfect and those were my results. And honestly it wasn't the fact that I couldn't build a uds The fact of time and material vs the ease of click,submit,arrive far outweighed building one!

And yes Patio this thing simply ROCKS!!!

Old 01-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #14
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Did you hang the brisket vertically or horizontally using multiple hooks?

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 02:06 AM   #15
Nate749
Knows what a fatty is.

i hung it vertical with the flat facing down using 2 hooks.. basically followed the instructions per the PBC youtube video

Thanks from:--->