MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #16
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBellyBBQ View Post
if you are cooking comp, never settle for what it is...keep trying-searching--testing--asking questions and yes failure at times...however never settle for status quo...just saying....
Whatever. Usually to get one thing you have to sacrifice something else. If that's your thing, that's cool, it's just not mine. I dont cook anything to impress anybody else, especially judges. I cook things the way I like it....which ironically enough seems to impress lots of folks. If putting baking powder on your chicken works for you, go for it. I certainly would try some if you offered it up. But its not my thing, i like my BBQ simple. Just sayin'....
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 03-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #17
gruene smoke
Got Wood.

First time I tried Mixon's recipe I screwed up and cooked the chicken skin side up for the whole cook. Turned out great w/ crispy skin.
gruene smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #18
smokeisgood
is one Smokin' Farker

First (and only) time I tried it, the skin stuck to the bottom of the pan and came off.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #19
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
Sorry, I'm not a fan of these "turn-in-box" fabrications. Chicken is chicken, not a muffin.
But they're darn skippy on a waffle! Just sayin....

Old 03-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #20
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Sorry, I'm not a fan of these "turn-in-box" fabrications. Chicken is chicken, not a muffin.
+1

Maybe this method would work even better if you deep fried the skin after yanking it off the thigh and shaving it with a Bic. Then you could use meat glue to put it back on the thigh in the muffin pan...

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #21
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BS View Post
Whatever. Usually to get one thing you have to sacrifice something else. If that's your thing, that's cool, it's just not mine. I dont cook anything to impress anybody else, especially judges. I cook things the way I like it....which ironically enough seems to impress lots of folks. If putting baking powder on your chicken works for you, go for it. I certainly would try some if you offered it up. But its not my thing, i like my BBQ simple. Just sayin'....
"Whatever" if that's your thing. If ya want both, take the skin off, scrape it, put it back on and cook it. Best chic you'll ever taste.

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #22
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruene smoke View Post
First time I tried Mixon's recipe I screwed up and cooked the chicken skin side up for the whole cook. Turned out great w/ crispy skin.
I think I'd prefer that version.
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #23
jonobacon
Got Wood.

Wow, thanks everyone for all the tips! I think I am going to have a crack at using the baking powder technique this weekend.

I agree that this is all about trial and error, and fortunately, given that chicken is cheap, I can experiment more than with brisket. ;-)

Old 03-28-2013, 10:41 PM   #24
Longo1908
On the road to being a farker

Has anyone had sucess using the baking powder on smoked chicken?

Old 03-29-2013, 01:14 AM   #25
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Everyone on this site is striving to learn on how to cook better BBQ and if you are cooking comps, trying to learn a tip or technique that might earn them just a half a point...I have lost thousands ending up 3rd or 4th by a slime portion of a point, that why the practice to get that better score.
For me even while cooking only for myself, I strive to have a tasty dish. A couple years ago on a Sunday, fighting last nights Tequela party, I did a half dozen chicken halve and i was toooo hung over to spend the time triming chicken...and it was the worst chicken I made, tasting all that fat and crap that should have been trimned...
The bottom line is use these ideas, some will work and most will not, but the ones that will work for you will yield better results, for yourself, your friends and hopefully the judges...who are those dang judges anyhow???

Old 03-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #26
Qbert60
Take a breath!

Quote:
I personally cook the "Chicken Meatballs" because they are uniform and that is it. I de-bone them, cook them skin side down in the muffin pan, and they come out great. I also think that I get marked down down for cooking them that way. I have since changed it to the chicken/butter pan method.

People cook how they feel comfortable cooking. If that means "chicken meatballs" then go for it.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:17 PM   #27
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
You might want to make a “finishing” rub by mixing your regular rub with some baking powder. When you take the chicken out of the pan sprinkle the fishing rub on when you set the skin on the smoker before you sauce it.
IMHO the idea in comp chicken is to keep the product as moist as possible and that is going to work against you. As stated before – just keep trying different things.
John, I just wanted to say thank you so much for posting about the baking powder. I made the chicken cupcakes tonight, and mixed baking powder into the rub. Those were THE best chicken thighs I have ever had in my life. They actually crunched when I bit into them. I'll be doing these again very soon!
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->