MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:04 AM   #1
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Stick Burner Question

I've got an upright OK Joe's:

I am going all wood in it for it's maiden (to me) voyage.
As I'm sitting here watching the smoke puff out the top, I'm wondering why you can risk having too much smoke while using charcoal and chunk, but when ALL you have it wood, why don't you have to worry about the amount of smoke since that's ALL there is: wood smoke?

Also, depending on different times of the cook (still very early) there's been different amounts of smoke and color. Sometime's (early) it's been billowing white, sometimes not as much, but still white, and sometimes a hint of blue.

To get to the "sweet blue" stage, is it about the fire breathing better, or ?? I don't know if it's better to have all the vents on firebox open and only control temp with exhaust vent? Or....the other way around....?

Does having as much "ventage" as possible at the firebox have anything to do with the quality of smoke? I've always worked my other cookers with bottom 100%, and controlled temp with the top vents...

DON'T GET ME WRONG.....I know it's all about learning your smoker and all, just wanting clarification on the "theories" behind smoke control more than air/temp control (if there is any).

Soooo....?

Lay the science down for me.......

Old 08-14-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
big brother smoke

Wampus,

You still need a nice, clean fire no matter the fuel. You want your wood on fire not smoldering, pardon the pun! And when burning wood, I find it necessary to open the vents wide and let it rip.

Nice weapon, bro!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
MattG
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
Wampus,

You still need a nice, clean fire no matter the fuel. You want your wood on fire not smoldering, pardon the pun! And when burning wood, I find it necessary to open the vents wide and let it rip.

Nice weapon, bro!

It may just be me but when I cook with nothing but wood on a smaller pit the smoke flavor is very strong even with a clean burn.

Check us out on Facebook
[url]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pots-BBQ/107610505962113[/url]
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattG View Post
It may just be me but when I cook with nothing but wood on a smaller pit the smoke flavor is very strong even with a clean burn.

Hmmmmmmm..........

I've always been a bit heavy on the smoke, but......

I noticed that the smoke was finally whisping blue for a while right before temp dropped a bit and I needed to add a log. FB vents all open. I'll try and keep it hot and clean.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
Brauma

Lay your sticks-on-deck on top of the firebox so they heat up. If they even start smoldering thats OK. When you chuck in cold wood, it takes energy from the existing fire to start burning it cleanly.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2010, 10:14 AM   #6
big brother smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattG View Post
What type of sticks are you burning?

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2010, 10:35 AM   #7
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brauma View Post
Lay your sticks-on-deck on top of the firebox so they heat up. If they even start smoldering thats OK. When you chuck in cold wood, it takes energy from the existing fire to start burning it cleanly.
What he said. Small, hot fires are the key. Keep the exhaust vent wide open and only control the temp with the firebox vents. Pre-heat your wood on top of the firebox, and if your pit temps get too hot you can always prop open the lid of the firebox with a rock or something to vent the extra heat.

It's hard to avoid the white smoke with a stick burner for the whole smoke, you are bound to get some when you first add wood. You just want to keep your white smoke down to a minimum.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."

Last edited by Saiko; 08-14-2010 at 04:19 PM..
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #8
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
Wampus,

Nice weapon, bro!
You gonna teach a Redneck how to use a stick burner? Would hate to have Country come show ne how to get my new pit going. Would never hear the end of it.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2010, 10:41 AM   #9
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brauma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiko View Post
What he said. Small, hot fires are the key. Keep the exhaust vent wide open and only control the temp with the firebox vents. Pre-heat your wood on top of the firebox, and if your pit temps get too hot you can always prop open the lid of the firebox with a rock or something to vent the extra heat.

It's hard to avoid the white smoke with a stick burner for the whole smoke, you about bound to get some when you first add wood. You just want to keep your white smoke down to a minimum.
Forgot about pre-heating the wood

Good point.

FYI: I started the fire with some lit charcoal briq's and a couple/few pieces of beech. Just switched over to cherry 1/2 h ago. It's been puffing blue for a while with FB vents all open and top exhaust vent about 3/4 way open. I'll preheat the next couple of logs.

Thanks guys.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:54 AM   #10
big brother smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
You gonna teach a Redneck how to use a stick burner? Would hate to have Country come show ne how to get my new pit going. Would never hear the end of it.
Yeah, calling you in a few!