advice needed on used pellet grill/smoker

I ordered it from All Things BBQ, which is owned by Yoder. The deal was only for black comp cart models. Bought it a year ago, and haven't seen anything close to that deal again.

TBH, shelling out $1750 for a smoker is not out of reach. I just need to convince myself it really worths it from longevity and convenience standpoint.

For what is worth, I was very skeptical about pellet cookers, before I bought mine. So I went into it, expecting to be disappointed. I decided to go for the one I wanted, instead of going cheap, because I didn't want a cheap model to form my opinion of all pellet cookers. I could not be happier with my decision. It surprises me every time I turn it on.

I drove 200 miles 1 way to pick up a 4 yr old YS-640 on a comp cart. Got it for $800, but it needs to be repainted. I am doing that now (took the pit off the cart).

I found 2 more smoker that sounded good on paper.
GMG Jim Bowie with Wifi - $999 but on sale for $899 now.
Fast Eddy PG500 - $1795 with free shipping.

GMG is half price of the others and wifi control with food probe. Any idea how durable and stable it is temperature and app wise?

For what is worth, I was very skeptical about pellet cookers, before I bought mine. So I went into it, expecting to be disappointed. I decided to go for the one I wanted, instead of going cheap, because I didn't want a cheap model to form my opinion of all pellet cookers. I could not be happier with my decision. It surprises me every time I turn it on.

Exactly, that's why I don't want to get the low end model.
I enjoy cooking and I don't want bad equipment ruin my experience.

I drove 200 miles 1 way to pick up a 4 yr old YS-640 on a comp cart. Got it for $800, but it needs to be repainted. I am doing that now (took the pit off the cart).

Sounds like a much better deal. That's about the amount of driving I'll do to go to a Yoder dealer.

I believe big Poppa smokers has free shipping on the Mak, so it would be cheaper than the PG500, and I would rather have it. It depends on how you will use it though. The upside to the pg500 is that it is insulated, so yo will use less pellets. The downside for me is space. They have a dedicated sear section, that can't be used for smoking.

Take a look at the new RecTec RT-700 Bull. They just came out with this model this year. Full stainless steel body, no worry about paint burning and peeling, PID controller with 2 meat probes and WiFi and a 6 year warranty on everything. All for $1199, that and all the great reviews, is hard to beat.

I did the opposite, I picked up a camp chef Smoke Pro SE (their cheapest model) for half price in October of last year. I wasn't sure about pellet smokers so I decided, for that price, I would try it out.

After a few cooks, I was hooked and began saving for a much better cooker. I now wonder if the more expensive cooker will cook ribs any better than what I do on the camp chef. We will see....

Take a look at the new RecTec RT-700 Bull. They just came out with this model this year. Full stainless steel body, no worry about paint burning and peeling, PID controller with 2 meat probes and WiFi and a 6 year warranty on everything. All for $1199, that and all the great reviews, is hard to beat.

You guys are not helping /s.
I thought I narrowed down but now my choice are widen up again.
Actually, this is really appealing. As long as build quality and wifi is up-to-par.

What make you pick this one over the others?

No personal experience with them but have looked into them a bit since they are made down the road from me.

1) Made in USA

2 Thicker steel body (3/16th body, 1/8th" stainless door), all fully welded body and cart, not bolt together Chinese parts (Rec Tec) or thin riveted sheet metal panels (MAK). Yoder body and door are thinner. 10 gauge body and 12 gauge door I think.

3) PID controller programmed specifically for the pits.

I think they are the best looking too. I'm an offset guy to the bone. But if I was to buy a pellet cooker it would be a Pitts and Spitts. I just prefer quality.

Last edited:
No personal experience with them but have looked into them a bit since they are made down the road from me.

1) Made in USA

2 Thicker steel body (3/16th body, 1/8th" stainless door), all fully welded body and cart, not bolt together Chinese parts (Rec Tec) or thin riveted sheet metal panels (MAK). Yoder body and door are thinner. 10 gauge body and 12 gauge door I think.

3) PID controller programmed specifically for the pits.

I think they are the best looking too. I'm an offset guy to the bone. But if I was to buy a pellet cooker it would be a Pitts and Spitts. I just prefer quality.

I don't know anything about them, but they look good. I am curious how they are using heavier metal than Yoder, but it weighs 110lb lighter.

I found 2 more smoker that sounded good on paper.
GMG Jim Bowie with Wifi - $999 but on sale for $899 now.
Fast Eddy PG500 - $1795 with free shipping.

GMG is half price of the others and wifi control with food probe. Any idea how durable and stable it is temperature and app wise?

I've owned all 3 models of the GMG and for me, the Jim Bowie the worst cooker of their 3 models. I also own a Mak 1-star. I can tell you that the Mak 1 is superior in every way to the GMG. Of course, the Mak costs a lot more, but you get what you pay for here.

I don't know anything about them, but they look good. I am curious how they are using heavier metal than Yoder, but it weighs 110lb lighter.

Stuff I looked at said "made of 7 and 10 gauge carbon steel" for the Pitts and Spitts. Im guessing the body and the endcaps are not the same thickness.

Also the Yoder seems to have more surface area, counterweight, etc..

I've owned all 3 models of the GMG and for me, the Jim Bowie the worst cooker of their 3 models. I also own a Mak 1-star. I can tell you that the Mak 1 is superior in every way to the GMG. Of course, the Mak costs a lot more, but you get what you pay for here.

Care to elaborate? What makes Jim Bowie the worst?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Care to elaborate? What makes Jim Bowie the worst?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a love/hate relationship with my JB. I loved the looks and capacity and I did make some good food with it. On the hate side, it was an annoying cooker because most cooks involved some level of fighting and fiddling with it to get the food right. Additionally, it's like that friend/relative we all have that has no concept of time and is always late, no matter what.

I found the JB cooked a lot slower than all the other pellet smokers (including Traegers) I've owned. Everything in the JB would take significantly more than every other cooker I've owned. Yes, I always checked the temps independently and what I was dialing in was also what showed on my electronic thermometers, but the JB cooks like a snail on racetrack.

Additionally, the smoke profile on the JB is the lightest of all the GMGs and it's difficult to get any kind of good bark on the food. Mechanically, I never had any issues with and I had it for several years. My personal theory about the issues with the JB is that there is not sufficient air movement in the cooker for good convection.

During the time I had the JB, I got my MAK1 (used) and after the first cook with the MAK, I quickly realized the JB is simply not in the same league as the MAK.

Cooking with the MAK1 is effortless and the food always comes out with great flavor and color. Plus, the food gets done in the expected time window. I've smoked many ribs and briskets in both the JB and MAK and there simply is no comparison in the quality of the food the MAK produces vs. the JB. If you took two identically prepared racks of ribs, using the same pellets, cooked one in the JB and one in the MAK, the one in the MAK would get done with the the expected time window with great color and flavor. The one in the JB, would be much lighter in color with much less flavor. And, most likely, you would be frustrated at how long it took in the JB. With that said, the ribs would still be good in the JB, but not as good as the ones in the MAK.

The MAK will make you look like a star to your family and friends.

Comparing the JB to the Daniel Boone - I haven't had this DB long, but I've used it a few times. While the smoke profile is similar to the JB - light, it cooks on time like it should. I can tell there is much better air circulation in the DB as opposed to the JB.

Comparing the JB to the Davy Crockett - The DC is the most temperamental of the three. It's the smallest and it WILL burn your food if you have the crappy 2-piece drip pan. I think all the new models now come with a solid 1-piece drip pan now, but the models for several years past had the 2-piece drip pan with holes that could be opened (for direct flame grilling) and closed for smoking.

In theory it was a good idea, but the even in "closed" position, the holes allowed excess hot air to come up through the bottom and it would make the bottoms of your food crispy/burned even on low temp cooks. This problem could be alleviated by foiling the drip tray or using making a raised rack on top of a solid metal pan to stop the bottom of the food from getting blasted by hot air. Thankfully, GMG started selling 1-piece solid drip trays (only $10), which now makes the DC a super nice little smoker. Temperatures are now super even and there are no more burned bottoms and crispy edges. I like my DC for small cooks. It produces very good food, but still not as good as my MAK.

GMG does have great customer service. They quickly return every email or will call you right back. The controller on my DC went out after a year. A tech called me and we went through a troubleshooting process over the phone. In the end, he determined the controller was bad and I had a new one in 2 days.

Hope this helps.

RemoGaggi, great info. I appreciate it.
I'll pay a bit more attention regard JB and see if other people have the same issue. I do hope it's a isolated case. If not, it make my decision making a bit easier though :D

RemoGaggi, great info. I appreciate it.
I'll pay a bit more attention regard JB and see if other people have the same issue. I do hope it's a isolated case. If not, it make my decision making a bit easier though :D

I've read others have had similar issues with the JB on other forums. Just remember, if the JB is the only smoker a person has, they might not know any different. Again, you get what you pay for.

Back