How's Weber Spirit 310?

Yiplong

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
We will be moving to a condo and will need to ditch our charcoal smoker and grill (they are not allowed). I plan to buy a gas grill for our family of 5. Since we will be using this on a balcony, I figure something like the Spirit 310 will be a good fit. I have some questions I hope Spirit owners can help answer:

- How's the size for 5 people?
- How much heat does it produce? I've never used a gasser before and I'm concerned I won't get good sear on steaks and burgers. Should I spring for the Genesis with the sear burner (or is that a gimmick?)
- How's Weber's construction quality? I've heard (mostly on Reddit) that quality has gone down since the Weber family sold their stake and the production moved to China. Is that true?
- Looks like the Spirit 310 is about the same size as Genesis 210, but the Genesis cost more. What are you getting with the Genesis?
- Any other brand/model I should look at? I'm looking for a grill about the size of Spirit 310 or a 3-burner genesis. Big enough for 5, but not too big. Good quality, high heat, and good indirect cooking. I will get a separate electric smoker.

Last edited:
As always, I recommend the BroilKing\Huntington line of grills. Quality materials, a lot of bang for the buck, and a great warranty.

As always, I recommend the BroilKing\Huntington line of grills. Quality materials, a lot of bang for the buck, and a great warranty.

Which model do you recommend for our use? BK makes so many different models and I'm not too familiar with them, it's quite confusing.

I had a Huntington 3 burner with a side burner. I am not up to speed on the current lineup, but I believe that size should be sufficient.

I have a Spirit 310 and love it. It does everything I need it to and zero issues in the almost 5 years I've had it. Mine came with the grate cut out for the Weber cast iron skillet to sit in and I use it regularly for searing steaks on. I have no issues getting it hot as f**k.

Weber quality is still top notch in my opinion. As far size, I come of a family of 7 and we had an older Spirit that fed us all and lasted 20 years. That's why I bought mine and I think the newer 310 is bigger than that one. Only thing I wish mine had was doors underneath instead of that stupid pop off cover thing.

I have a Spirit 310 and love it. It does everything I need it to and zero issues in the almost 5 years I've had it. Mine came with the grate cut out for the Weber cast iron skillet to sit in and I use it regularly for searing steaks on. I have no issues getting it hot as f**k.

Weber quality is still top notch in my opinion. As far size, I come of a family of 7 and we had an older Spirit that fed us all and lasted 20 years. That's why I bought mine and I think the newer 310 is bigger than that one. Only thing I wish mine had was doors underneath instead of that stupid pop off cover thing.

The grate is an interesting concept. Is that some custom grate that you bought?

I have a Spirit 310 as well, but a previous generation. It's my go to grill due to it heating up quicker than my Akorn. It get's really hot. It's made well and I keep mine out of the elements. It's stored in my garage 24/7 and pull it out when I need to use it. I use it atleast 2-4 times a week.

I have the Spirit 320 from HD. Paid $276 new then put it together. Best gasser grill I ever owned hands down. Be sure to register it with Weber as they honor the full warranty. I've had it over 10 years and Weber has sent my Flavorizer bars once under warranty. I use this rig about 3-4 times a week for a decade. Recently I replaced the burners, bar and Porcelain enameled grates at a cost of $140 (or there abouts cant remember now).

I had a Family of 3 when I bought it but now we are 2. I've cooked for 20 or more on it during holidays etc. They have changed the design from mine which has side burners, now they are front burners.

IMHO you can't go wrong with a Weber Spirit.

YX1OlQn.jpg

tCQZryK.jpg

byfA5OA.jpg

kuwEbIA.jpg

ftUIrYn.jpg

aVxUbmI.jpg

It's nothing for me to go over 600*F to quick sear steaks. Ample heat.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
I have a newer spirit and hit 600 tonight for some steaks, would buy again, think it was over $400 3-4 years ago, my cross over tube is shot, I will have to replace that to get last burner to lite properly

With all due respect to those with older Webers, have you looked at the new Spirits? Tell me that the quality has not gone WAY downhill. Plus, they are ugly!

With all due respect to those with older Webers, have you looked at the new Spirits? Tell me that the quality has not gone WAY downhill. Plus, they are ugly!

This is the relevant question right? Unless one is buying used, the new model is all we have. They do look "cheap", but I'm not sure if the quality is actually worse or just the look. Guess Weber had to cheapen it down to make Genesis stand out more, or have they cheapened Genesis as well?

I just bought a Spirit 310 a few months back, and have loved it. I flipped the grates over so the thicker side was facing up, and it gives me a great sear that covers more surface on the meat.

I got kind of tired of the process of lighting charcoal just to cook a pork chop, which is what made me go back to propane for my grilling needs. Of course, I still have the 22" kettle.

Like barrettd, I also just bought a Spirit II 310 at the end of last summer. I also flipped the grates over and I get great sears on steaks and chops. It easily reaches over 550 degrees. The cooking area should be fine to accomodate a family of five. She wanted the sapphire blue, so that's what we ordered and had delivered. I've had my eye on the rotisserie. but bought a new 22 LE redheadhead, instead...

As for the build quality, I bought this because I got tired of replacing the home depot grill every 2-3 years and the materials of the Spirit are noticeably better.
Highly recommend.

Last edited:
I just bought a Spirit 310 a few months back, and have loved it. I flipped the grates over so the thicker side was facing up, and it gives me a great sear that covers more surface on the meat.

I got kind of tired of the process of lighting charcoal just to cook a pork chop, which is what made me go back to propane for my grilling needs. Of course, I still have the 22" kettle.

I use a 22" kettle as well. To be honest I'm not a big fan of charcoal grilling. Even tho I'm forced by my condo association to get rid of my kettle, I kind of always wanted the convenience of a gasser, especially when cooking dinner for the family after a day at work. Charcoal is also quite wasteful. You light whole 2 chimney to grill some steak for 3 minutes. The charcoal is then left to burn for another hour.

You light whole 2 chimney to grill some steak for 3 minutes. The charcoal is then left to burn for another hour.

Close the air vents and it will burn right out. I use half used charcoal all the time with usually about 2/3 of a new chimney.

My experience with the current line is limited to looking at them in the stores. The Spirit is quite a bit lighter feel than the Genesis -- whether that really matters in use I don't know. In terms of space, I think you'll be fine for your family size. On the quality front, I think it will do fine and one of the big benefits of Weber is that you will be able to easily replace any parts that fail to keep it running for a long time.

Having said that, I would look at Broil King as well. Think they are a better bang for the buck right now.

Back