MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:31 PM   #1
mstewart39
Full Fledged Farker

Default Irving, TX BBQ?

I'm in Irving, TX today for work. Anyone know of any place around here I should go for BBQ?

Old 02-04-2019, 06:09 PM   #2
Tannhauser42
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : X

I like Hard Eight BBQ in Coppell.
Tannhauser42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:42 PM   #3
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Not from Texas, but I have been to Hard Eight and I second that recommendation
Old 02-05-2019, 05:03 PM   #4
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

If you're still there, you could go to Lockhart's in Plano.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:11 AM   #5
mstewart39
Full Fledged Farker

So I went to Hard Eight. I have to say, it's the best atmosphere I could imagine. I loved the look, the smell, the concept, the line, the pits.
I got brisket, jalapeno sausage, a chicken jalapeno wrapped in bacon, and a couple sides.

My main thing I wanted was brisket because I always feel as if my brisket could use some improvement. But their flat was as dry as any of mine. Their point was great, and everything else was perfect and wonderful. But I expected their brisket flat to be better than mine.

Again, I loved the experience and almost went back when I left for the airport last night. Being from PA, I really don't get many great brisket places that I can compare mine to. I'm happier with my brisket flat than I was with theirs.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:40 AM   #6
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Turning out BBQ in volume is tough. Cooking 1-5 briskets in the back yard is one thing. Cooking 10x that, or more, along with ribs, sausage, chicken, and sides in similar quantities is tough. Their model is to serve the public all day, and not until it's gone. There is nothing wrong with that, just as there is nothing wrong with the idea of cooking to the limit of your capacity and it being gone, when it's gone. You likely had something that had been held a little long, or slices from a flat that was just dry. It happens.

If you get the chance again, and you aren't happy with something tell somebody. They will make it right. It's SOP there, according to someone I talked to with the company.

10+ years ago DFW really was a BBQ wasteland. There are a lot of great options now. Some are better values than others. Unless it's a Pilgrimage I still recommend Tex-Mex over BBQ though;)

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 02-08-2019, 08:19 AM   #7
mstewart39
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
Turning out BBQ in volume is tough. Cooking 1-5 briskets in the back yard is one thing. Cooking 10x that, or more, along with ribs, sausage, chicken, and sides in similar quantities is tough. Their model is to serve the public all day, and not until it's gone. There is nothing wrong with that, just as there is nothing wrong with the idea of cooking to the limit of your capacity and it being gone, when it's gone. You likely had something that had been held a little long, or slices from a flat that was just dry. It happens.

If you get the chance again, and you aren't happy with something tell somebody. They will make it right. It's SOP there, according to someone I talked to with the company.

10+ years ago DFW really was a BBQ wasteland. There are a lot of great options now. Some are better values than others. Unless it's a Pilgrimage I still recommend Tex-Mex over BBQ though;)
Don't get me wrong, I loved the experience. I almost went back on consecutive nights! Their point was very good. Their flat just wasn't what I pictured in my mind. I completely understand that when the parking lot is completely full and a bus shows up (which happened while I was there) you need to have mass quantities of BBQ.
I certainly know how hard it is to make brisket. I've been trying for years and I'm still not completely happy with my own brisket either. And I'm dedicating a full day to making sure everything is "perfect" for a single brisket.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:53 AM   #8
jdtTX
Full Fledged Farker

Hard Eight is pretty generic. Neat place but their reputation brings business in for half-assed bbq. Kinda like Salt Lick.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:34 PM   #9
markdtn
is one Smokin' Farker

I was in Dallas earlier in the week. Went to Hard 8 in Richardson. It was OK. The atmosphere was neat. It had the same tell-me-how-much-you-want style serving as the Lockhart places. I had brisket, ribs, and sausage. The sausage was good. The ribs were pretty good, but not a huge amount of flavor. The brisket (I asked for moist) was good and moist, but really had almost no flavor. I added sauce, but that just covered it up. I would go back if I was in the area, but would not make a special trip.
markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:49 PM   #10
guero_gordo
is one Smokin' Farker

Had a great time at Hutchin's up in MdKinney, if you get up that way
Old 03-01-2019, 07:02 AM   #11
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

When traveling Texas--Sausage and sides my Brethren-sausage and sides. Another tip. Attempt to locate the Texas Monthly honorable mentions.

And another plug for a "kiss of mesquite"

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/hard-eight-bbq-2015/

And another mesquite reason yours doesn't taste like their's

https://www.texasmonthly.com/list/th.../hutchins-bbq/

Last edited by 16Adams; 03-01-2019 at 07:37 AM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->