150 Lbs of Christmas Hams (pic heavy)

Phrasty

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hey Everyone. A couple weeks ago I decided to take on the idea of selling some hams for Christmas. I was planning on just doing 2 cases of leg hams but had to order another case to fill orders we were getting. My fridge was SO full for the past 2 weeks, heard it from the wife quite a bit. But they came out great and they are all gone now! Notes have been taken and hopefully the process will be more streamlined for next year. :becky:

Here is the basic brine I used (minus the spices and secrets :wink: but you know how it is, a little cloves, cinnamon, allspice, bay leaves... :thumb:)

For a 12-15lb ham use:
1 Gallon Water
1.5 cup Kosher Salt
2 cup Brown Sugar
8 tsp Cure #1 (Pink salt)

Add whatever spices & herbs you want (uncrushed) & bring to a boil, stir to dissolve. Let steep & cool to room temp and brine for 2-3 lbs a day (12lb ham = 4-5 days) Then you remove from the brine, wash it off, dry it & smoke + glaze. There you go.

I smoked with almond & lychee & glazed with an apple/guava/pineapple/rum glaze that was unconventional but amazing! I didnt get any shots of the glazed hams cuz it was getting so late I was just too tired and forgot (working all farking day mod). My apologies guys! :doh: Well here are the pics I DO have to share:

Here are the hams I got out the case
c2ab2c75.jpg

496c8a6f.jpg

Skinning & taking out the hip bone
1f853447.jpg

soaking in the brine.
5ada8aa3.jpg

All tied up and injected waiting to go on the smoker
3cbff94b.jpg

On the smoker
f7754ef3.jpg

82e8204c.jpg

72ec80a4.jpg

Ham hocks off (for beans and the likes)
5ab6b6e4.jpg

Then the rest of the ham shots
e2d3b7bd.jpg

841ffa15.jpg

f6ad04db.jpg

f80d4a95.jpg

OH right... THEN when the hams came off we had to put on a dozen racks of ribs for a gig I had the next day. They went on at about 1 am! Yah was that kinda night/DAY. A LOT of work, but it was fun and for the most part everything went smooth!

8f2cc652.jpg

c7e7647c.jpg

839432b8.jpg

At the end of the day I did 6 bone-in hams, 6 boneless hams, 12 lbs of ham hocks, 4 small shoulder hams, and 12 racks of ribs. Not too shabby for a days work. :heh::thumb:

So thats all folks! Thanks for looking!

Cheers

Last edited:
Beautiful! I've been wanting to do cure & smoke a ham myself.

If you don't mind my asking, what temp did you smoke at? What internal temp did you take the hams to?

That looks incredible! You have inspired me....but where to get a whole uncooked ham?

One other question: That ham didn't make any suspcious phone calls or emails aimed at helping it recover funds from a deceased relative did it? :-D

That looks incredible! You have inspired me....but where to get a whole uncooked ham?

One other question: That ham didn't make any suspcious phone calls or emails aimed at helping it recover funds from a deceased relative did it? :-D

You can get fresh hams easily. Just ask your butcher for the back leg, regular grocers will more than likely carry them as well.

As for your other question I'm totally lost!! :shock::confused::doh: lol If there are funds to recover I'd have to bust a couple more hams to find out! lol

The trick to brining is to find the balance in the brine with the sweet and salt. If your brine tasted way too salty the ham will come out too salty (learned that the hard way).

Cheers

That's all? That's all?!? Jeeze Louise! That's beautiful! Our 19 pounder will be getting a similar treatment except without the pink salt. You have just inspired us, and Redhot says thanks again!

At the end of the day I did ....

Man that would take me at least a day and a half. And then after the smoker was lit....

I did one that was 22 LBS. this past Thanksgiving and I followed the Dizzy Pig Recipe and I am here to tell ya that it was the best Ham I ever tasted, and everyone else that ate off of it said the same...Everyone who is an avid BBQ and Smoked meat Cook should try doing their own Fresh Ham Cure at Home....I took the fat and skin off mine and injected the Brine then I let mine set for 9Days.... And yes those Wives will Razz you about it being in the way, mine did LOL, but I will bet that she was one of the first people to take a piece of Ham....There is nothing like it, plus it is just a plain all out joy!!! Way to go partner you really did it:thumb::clap2::bow::becky:...Got me hongry too!!! Peppa

Awesome looking cook, that meat looks great. I've never tried to cure and cook a ham before, I just do the Dr BBQ double smoked hams. In fact I'll be doing one of them for Christmas.

Back