We came, we cooked, we got our butt kicked

CajunSmoker

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Or
My two sons and I did our first comp this weekend. It was an IBCS event at Lake Darbonne, La.

I learned a lot at this event. Not the least of which is that there is some deep pockets out there competing and obviously some damn good cooks:!: The top 15 places were announced and we didn't place. We were upset about it, but after looking at the pics of our turn in boxes I see why(flakes of cut meat on the ribs, spots of rubs on the brisket, etc). Remember this was IBCS and NO garnish or sauce of any kind was allowed in the boxes.

Another thing I learned is that an old fart like myself doesn't do well any more with sleep deprivation and "sleeping" on a cot.:roll:

So here goes guys, be gentle with me, I'm still sore from yesterdays judging:eek:

Our little site set up.

Some of the competition’s site’s

so anyway we fired up the little bullet and started some pig candy

also did some stuffed jalepenos but they were gone so fast no pic got taken. This is our breakfast pic yesterday morning. Smoked biscuits and armadillo egg (or stuffed fatty)

Our first turn in was at 11 AM for ½ chicken "fully jointed" which I thought meant cut at the joint. Nope!!! Sent back to replace with chicken that was uncut at joint! In the confusion we didn’t get pic. Next turn in was at 12:30 for ribs. Got that pic.

Next turn in was pulled pork at 2:00 pm. Not chopped, not shredded, not sliced. Pulled to the sized of a girls little finger and enough to fill the bottom of the tray only.

and the final turn in was brisket at 3:30PM. Seven slices large enough to fill the container cut between 1/4 and 3/8" thick.

and a pic of us after the final turn in and waiting on the results.

The boys are already planning for another event to exact revenge on the Texas teams that took most every spot:twisted:

All that food looks great!
And if you had a good weekend hanging out with your boys...you won!

Mike

You showed up and put your best foot forward. That's what counts. Didn't see any Brethren there did you?

There's always next time.

Don't let not getting a call to the stage discourage you. If you had fun, keep going. Ask questions and visit other folks sites. You will be suprised how much info and help you will get. I have found that folks will help or advise you anyway they can, until you win!

I wish I could go every week-end, just can't afford it. Practice those turn-in's at home. Look at your pictures and write down what worked and what didn't. I cook for myself and what my Family likes. You will never be right all the time when it comes to the Judges.

Hey, I always figure if I don't burn the tents down I'm doing great!

Well I see a few things.
1 they should not have let you turn the ribs in, in that direction they need to be parallel to the hinge...I'm sure Lynn made you change it.
2 the brisket slices should have been kicked out with the ends trimmed off. ( considered a way to mark a tray)
3 "flakes of cut meat on the ribs, spots of rubs" that has no affect on the judging, you are dealing with the general public, so taste and tenderness are probably 90% of the score, remember they are using a plastic knife and fork to sample, and that brisket does not look tender enough for that if they have to work for it the scores go down.
4 you were cooking against some of the best cooks around

sorry to be to the point, but that is how you learn.

Well I see a few things.
1 they should not have let you turn the ribs in, in that direction they need to be parallel to the hinge...I'm sure Lynn made you change it.
2 the brisket slices should have been kicked out with the ends trimmed off. ( considered a way to mark a tray)
3 "flakes of cut meat on the ribs, spots of rubs" that has no affect on the judging, you are dealing with the general public, so taste and tenderness are probably 90% of the score, remember they are using a plastic knife and fork to sample, and that brisket does not look tender enough for that if they have to work for it the scores go down.
4 you were cooking against some of the best cooks around

sorry to be to the point, but that is how you learn.

1. The ribs were turned before turning in.
2. Actually she showed my brisket box to the person turning in behind me and told them to go make there box look like mine. It may not look tender, but you pick it up in the middle and it will fall apart.
3. I am not offended by you being to the point. If I was worried about that I wouldn't have posted it at all.:-D Like I said, it was my first time and I am here to learn.

Congrats on Your First Competition Brother!! As Long as You had Fun...It was a Great Weekend !!

First one is always the hardest. Now that that is by you, your next one will go a little more smoothly. Way to get your feet wet.
Good luck in the future.

1. The ribs were turned before turning in.
2. Actually she showed my brisket box to the person turning in behind me and told them to go make there box look like mine. It may not look tender, but you pick it up in the middle and it will fall apart.
3. I am not offended by you being to the point. If I was worried about that I wouldn't have posted it at all.:-D Like I said, it was my first time and I am here to learn.

I'm with Oli and Surprised that Lynn would allow the brisket to be turned in like that. they have always in the past told us in the cooks meeting the the ends cannot be trimmed from the brisket and that if they are to long for the box you are to wrap them around in the box. most people trim the brisket to fit the box before they put it on the pit :-D

anyway glad you had a good time and don't give up

I'm with Oli and Surprised that Lynn would allow the brisket to be turned in like that. they have always in the past told us in the cooks meeting the the ends cannot be trimmed from the brisket and that if they are to long for the box you are to wrap them around in the box. most people trim the brisket to fit the box before they put it on the pit :-D

anyway glad you had a good time and don't give up

That sounds like a good idea. I'll try that next time. Appreciate the tip:-D

Congratulations on getting thru your first comp Rodger,way to go!!! Were doing another practice cook today trying to prepare for our first one. I'm sure ours will be a huge learning curve as well. As far as the deep pockets go, ours ain't deep but what do we go and do?..... looked at class A motor homes yesterday......I think were in trouble:mrgreen:

Heck I figure were this deep into it already, might as well be comfortable doing it, Like you said, a cot just doesn't cut it with these old bones.:eusa_clap

Congrats on your first....looks like a lot of fun, I gotta try that someday:biggrin:

First, congrats for getting out there and doing your 1st competition.
Second, now you know what they are looking for. The 1st one is always tough and I hope you don't get discouraged. There's no doubt you can cook (you hang out with us here on the site :mrgreen:) but learning how to compete is a whole different deal.
Personally, I'm very proud of you and can't wait until you jump back in, do another one, and post that you got to take the walk. Your day is just around the corner!

My two sons and I did our first comp this weekend...
Sounds like fun. I can't wait until my boy's old enough to get involved.
The boys are already planning for another event to exact revenge on the Texas teams that took most every spot:twisted:
That's the spirit! Glad to hear that you want to get out there and do it again. Congrats for making it through your first one.

Deep pockets have nothing to do with good Q. Always remember that it's the cook, not the cooker that matters. And since they don't have any score sheets in IBCA, you can always say you came in 16th....

Congratulations Rodger! I'm trying to learn as much as I can before my first comp, and I'm taking in the advice too! I'm planning on judging at least 2 more before I dive into the deep end of the pool! Looks like you guys had a good time and even the sons got bit by the BBQ bug!

Brian

Glad to see you jumping in the game, I have learned, win or lose, to enjoy it for the hobbie it is for me!

Man, if people have deeper pockets than your set up...people must look at are site and set up and think they have entered a pygmy village! :icon_blush:

Glad to see you jumping in the game, I have learned, win or lose, to enjoy it for the hobbie it is for me!

Man, if people have deeper pockets than your set up...people must look at are site and set up and think they have entered a pygmy village! :icon_blush:

I have been informed by my much smarter sister that all those photos may not be your equipment :icon_blush: , your set up looks much like ours...power to the hobbiest! :biggrin:

Back