MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
Ringburner
Full Fledged Farker

Default Ribs.... Wrap or not?

Can someone point me in the direction of a thread regarding the above topic. I've always wrapped but I'd love to simplify my system.....

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Old 01-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Can't think of any threads right off the bat, but I never wrap. What I do is put the rub on, let 'em sweat, throw 'em in the cooker at my preferred temp (270-290, maybe 300), cook 'till tender - can be 3 or 4 hours. I know they're tender a few different ways:

1)the bend test - pick 'em up in the middle and the ends flop pretty much straight down, but not falling apart - or grab 'em on one side and make kind of an "L" by lifting that side.

2)toothpick test - toothpick slides in with little to no resistance

3)twist a bone - if it's pretty loose, it's tender.

That's it!

Oh - look up barbafunkoramacue's (not sure if that's spelled right) "Hot and Fast Weeping Ribs" and do that.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
Bludawg

I don't wrap Ribs! I do cook mine around 300 deg, I don't pull the membrane, Normal time on BB and St. Louis 3.5-4 hrs they look like this

Old 01-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
bo_b_q
On the road to being a farker

I just did some Wednesday and didn't foil. Just went about 4 hours on 2 racks of baby backs at 225* +/- ...came out great. About as simple as it gets.

gtr summed up most everything I searched and read before I did mine, so I'd go with that!

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
Enkidu
Take a breath!

Foil isn't necessary:

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
deepsouth

I don't wrap.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #7
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

C'mon... Be a lazy farker like me and forget foiling. 4hrs at 300F should do it but the best advice has already been given above- learn a good test for doneness and run with it. I tired of taking forever to cook ribs.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #8
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

Try both ways and see what you like best.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #9
Ringburner
Full Fledged Farker

That's all the convincing I need!
The two racks on my wsm are the last ones I'll ever wrap!

Anything that frees up time to sit by the pool and sip something tasty can only be good!

Cheers all

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Old 01-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #10
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

I foiled ribs for the first time on my last cook and was not fully satisfied with the results. I usually cook at 225-250 for about 6 hours in a WSM with a decent rub and that's it. I don't sauce either. I often sauce when I reheat them and I always serve with sauce for those who prefer it, but many like the ribs just the way they come off the smoker.

Neither do I mop. I like to close the smoker and keep it that way until they ribs are done.

Give it a try!
HankB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #11
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

I never wrap my meat!

Old 01-06-2013, 05:52 AM   #12
TomB
Full Fledged Farker

I am a wrapper. Like above, try both and do what you like best!
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Mini-WSM
Weber Genesis gas grill
Smokey Mountain gas smoker
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2013, 06:11 AM   #13
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

Wrapping is like a patch, a tool for those who like to boil or steam their ribs into falling off the bone. After all... when you wrap, the ribs ARE steaming in the foil... I like a little bite in mine so i dont foil

Old 01-06-2013, 06:56 AM   #14
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Ringburner, you need to make up your own mind which you prefer. You can make a perfectly cooked, flavorful rib either way. It depends on cook time, time in the foil, etc. I do both depending on my mood and who I am cooking for. At competitions I typically foil and use that opportunity to get some extra flavor into the ribs because that is what typically scores better with the judges around here.. At home I typically don't foil because that's what I prefer. Either way I do it the ribs come out well and are not falling off the bone unless I want them cooked that way.

As someone suggested, try some without foil and see how you like them. Then try some with foil and see how you like them and make up your own mind.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #15
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Militant83 View Post
Try both ways and see what you like best.
Agreed. This hobby is 90% personal preference
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote