Talking Turkey - how 'bout Cranberry Sauce

Cloudsmoker

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Anyone got a recipe for fresh cranberries they wouldn't mind sharing?
Thanks.

This is what I use. Super easy and really good. 3 ingredients and you can easily tweak if you want

12 ounces cranberries (this is the normal cranberry bag size I think)
1 cup white sugar (or brown sugar)
1 cup orange juice (or water if you don't want it with so much citrus flavor)
-Put all this in a pot and heat to a simmer and cook for 10-15mins till all the berries pop.

You can add other spices like cinnamon or nutmeg. Also can cut the sugar. I make it the day before and put it in the fridge.

That sounds way too easy. Pretty sure Ive been over-cooking mine.
Thank you.

Mama always opened the can, shook it until the stuff glopped out, sliced it and if feeling fancy, would slice again into half circles to make it look all festive like.

This is what I use. Super easy and really good. 3 ingredients and you can easily tweak if you want

12 ounces cranberries (this is the normal cranberry bag size I think)
1 cup white sugar (or brown sugar)
1 cup orange juice (or water if you don't want it with so much citrus flavor)
-Put all this in a pot and heat to a simmer and cook for 10-15mins till all the berries pop.

You can add other spices like cinnamon or nutmeg. Also can cut the sugar. I make it the day before and put it in the fridge.

Yep...that's how we do it as well somewhat.
Usually I add a bit of Stroh rum.
If I'm using it for a glaze I add some butter,salt,pepper,garlic/onion/cayenne powder.

Last edited:
Not a sauce to eat plain, but a little something for the bird or the ham.

Cranberry Horseradish Sauce

2 c. Raw Cranberries
1 sm Onion
1/2 c. sugar
3/4 c. sour cream
2 T. your favorite Horseradish. ( the hotter the better )

Grind onion and cranberries in a blender really well then add sugar, sour cream and horseradish.

Dan

Last edited:
Take a mason jar, large is good, fill it with fresh cranberries, add 1/2 cup sugar and then top off with brandy. Let sit in fridge tightly covered for one week. Shake daily. After one week, the brandy should taste great, the cranberries can be heated along with a little orange juice, some honey and salt to taste and served as a side.

I prefer cranberry relish. 1 lb. cranberries, 1 whole orange quartered, 1.5 c. sugar. Throw it all in a food processor, chop the chit out of it, transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate for 24 hours before serving. Delicious.

OK, I'll bite and throw our favorite in here... I would give credit, but I can't remember where it came from. We've been using it 10 or more years now

Take 1 Cup each sugar, water, combine in a saucepan and bring to a boil.

Add a 1lb bag of fresh cranberries, bring back to a boil, then reduce to a simmer

and 1C chopped apple, 1/3C Grand Marnier, zest and juice of 1/2 orange, and 1/2 lemon.

Add about a tsp each of cinnamon and FRESH ground nutmeg. If you don't have fresh nutmeg, just leave the nutmeg out.

Simmer about 15 minutes or so.

Cool, refrigerate, and serve cold or at room temp.

If you bump the Grand Marnier to 1/2 C, this makes a palate cleansing sorbet too, just buzz it up a bit in a food processor, then churn in your ice-cream maker, then freeze

You could substitute orange curacao or Patron citronge if you don't have Grand Marnier

My daughter saw this on The Food Channel last fall and it is now her contribution to the Thanksgiving dinner, it is really good.- they have it posted on the Food Channel web site as well.

2 cups cranberry juice
  • 1 (12 ounce) bag fresh cranberries
  • 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 Gala apples, peeled, cored and diced
  • 2 teaspoons corn starch
Directions
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the cranberry juice, cranberries, cinnamon and sugar. Bring to a boil and let cook for 5 minutes. Add the apples and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries have softened and apples are tender, about 5 minutes. The cranberries should start to split but still be firm. Remove 8 ounces of the liquid to a small bowl and whisk in the cornstarch. Slowly add the cornstarch-juice mixture (slurry) to the cranberry mixture, stirring constantly. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and pour into a serving bowl. Refrigerate until thickened, about 30 minutes. Remove the cinnamon sticks and serve.

Last edited:
Mama always opened the can, shook it until the stuff glopped out, sliced it and if feeling fancy, would slice again into half circles to make it look all festive like.

If we serve anything other than this we get complaints from the family. So, I gave up on any other kind of cranberry dish. And, it has to be the smooth stuff with nothing in it that is shaped anything like a cranberry.

I've used this recipe for the past five years; many compliments received:

CRANBERRY BOURBON RELISH

2 c. bourbon
1/2 c. minced shallot
zest of 1 large orange
2 bags (12 oz. ea.) fresh cranberries
2 c. sugar
1 t. fresh grated ginger
2 t. ground black pepper

Combine in a non-reactive saucepan (not aluminum) the bourbon, shallots, ginger and orange zest. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer til it reduces to a syrupy glaze (about 10 minutes). Add cranberries and sugar, raise heat and bring to a boil stirring to combine. Lower heat and cook til cranberries start to burst. Remove from heat and add pepper. Cool and refrigerate til needed.
(serves 8-10)

Back