• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Bad News on Beef Prices

Dan I did the exact same thing today. Ended up walking out with a hot dog combo and a GIANT box of tissues:cry:

Ryan921.. I did about the same.. went in there a couple weeks back excited to buy a case of IBP pork butt and it was at $2.06 a pound up from $1.35. Walked out with some Kerrygold Dubliner (aged white cheddar--yummy stuff $5.76/lb)

Just left Sam's. 8.98 for the whole ribeye and butts were 2.59. Bought some spares for 2.89. Baby backs were 3.88.

Hi All Was at Restaurant Depot today..Talk about sticker shock they had CAB briskets for $3.99, last time maybe a month ago they were $3.10
They used also sell IBP briskets for much less then CAB ones, couldn't find any IBP briskets today.
Also all, they had today were Smithfield ribs,spares n baby backs no IBP ribs at all either.
Pork Butt prices didn't seem that bad.
DanB

Sorry folks ...

I am probably in the minority? The increase in prices WILL NOT affect my willingness or ability to buy product to put on the pit.

Certainly I understand the escalating prices are of concern to many, but .50 per pound here and .75 per pound there are not going to put the brakes on the hobby I enjoy greatly.

Don't you think it is akin to gas prices ... you deal with it?

No. I have already been buying much less beef. There are other tasty foods out there besides just beef. I don't have options to gas, really.

A while back one of our Canadian members posted a cook and IIRC the price of the beef they cooked was about 1/2 what we Americans are paying.

I've been meaning to post this from Yahoo News for everyone to see.

4 companies control about 85% of all US beef production.

Can't get the link to post:doh:

I'll try another link to a similar story

http://www.hcn.org/issues/43.5/catt...-economic-squeezes/the-big-four-meatpackers-1

You can search Google for "4 companies control beef production" and find the Yahoo article I tried to post.

Supply and demand. They and other places may end up with a lot of out of date meat. They always start high but look for prices to drop.

If in NE and have a Hannaford around the house brand whole shank hams are $.79/ lbs this week. Stock up, I did.

Time to pass on the great tradition of hunting. There's a lot to be said for taking a kid hunting and teaching them to appreciate the natural world. Keep the tradition alive! On that note, why not liven this thread up a bit with some pron. I just finished a fresh ham this past weekend from a wild hog my buddy shot. Sure beats $4+/lb. in the store!

I'll wager that if you ran the numbers it would be twice that cost. Gear, gun/bow, gas, license, tagging fee, etc... Not to mention your hourly rate for hunting and processing. Don't get me wrong as I hunt and fish but I'm not delusional that it's cheaper than the store. Is it better than store bought... Absolutey, but not always cheaper on paper.

at sams today and paid 2.99/ lb for spare ribs....and theres a hannafords across the street so ill check that out

What was $60.24/lb? Can't read the text surrounding the price.

I am probably in the minority? The increase in prices WILL NOT affect my willingness or ability to buy product to put on the pit.

Certainly I understand the escalating prices are of concern to many, but .50 per pound here and .75 per pound there are not going to put the brakes on the hobby I enjoy greatly.

Don't you think it is akin to gas prices ... you deal with it?

It's all about supply and demand. When the price gets high enough to offend people, it causes less demand and the prices come down. If we always dealt with it, prices would just go up and up. Already been a few people here, including me, that walked into a store to buy a case of meat, and were offended and walked out of the store with no meat. This creates an excess of supply, which will cause the prices to come down.

Harrisburg pa

Butt pricing as of 4/5/14

$2.04/lb case price.

I did get to pick up 2 at $1.49/lb and a local grocery store. All they had was 2 I would have bought 6 or 8 more.

Ok we have another place here that sells cases that are 78 lbs so it seems to be the standard.

Maybe they are the same butts from IBP?

By the way, as soon as I see a sale for pork butt at $1.50 a pound I am gonna buy a boatload of it and throw it in my freezer. I got this freezer to save money, yet there haven't been any good sales I've seen here in Tulsa in the past 3 weeks.

I'll wager that if you ran the numbers it would be twice that cost. Gear, gun/bow, gas, license, tagging fee, etc... Not to mention your hourly rate for hunting and processing. Don't get me wrong as I hunt and fish but I'm not delusional that it's cheaper than the store. Is it better than store bought... Absolutey, but not always cheaper on paper.

Shhhh, my wife still believes me.....:wink:

Back